Feickert Blackbird vs Clearaudio Ovation vs Origin Live Sovreign

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I'm currently looking to upgrade my Rega Planar 8. I'm trying to decide between the following tables:

Feickert Trio or Blackbird

Clearaudio Ovation

Origin Live Sovereign Mk4

I have already settled on a tonearm which will be the Origin Live Enterprise and I will continue using my Soundmith Paua cartridge. I'm currently leaning towards getting the Ovation for aesthetic reasons, and it is the only table of the 3 that I have actually heard. I'm hoping people who have had experiences with these tables could chime in. The tables have similar price points and if performance are relatively close to each other, I will get the Ovation.

Reactions: Alrainbow

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I never liked any Clearaudio turntable even the top of the line statement model. for me any Transrotor is better than it's Clearaudio counterpart but Transrotor is not good either. I basically don't like acrylic turntables maybe that's the main reason. from this point of view Feickert is a better option and I like every model of it.

Reactions: bonzo75

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I never liked any Clearaudio turntable even the top of the line statement model. for me any Transrotor is better than it's Clearaudio counterpart but Transrotor is not good either. I basically don't like acrylic turntables maybe that's the main reason. from this point of view Feickert is a better option and I like every model of it.
Clearaudio no longer uses acrylic in their higher end models and use polyoxymethylene (POM). Was the platter the only issue you had?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Clearaudio no longer uses acrylic in their higher end models and use polyoxymethylene (POM). Was the platter the only issue you had?
No, I haven't have any issues but in general I don't like the sound of them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Yeah the firebird was quite musical and good value in the used market...I can't generalize about acrylic but I never liked the basis including the basis audio work of art. I thought Bergmann Sindre with the acrylic platter was digital sounding until I heard the linear tracker with red sparrow through sets horns at Bill's and then it was excellent

Reactions: mtemur

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Yeah the firebird was quite musical and good value in the used market...I can't generalize about acrylic but I never liked the basis including the basis audio work of art. I thought Bergmann Sindre with the acrylic platter was digital sounding until I heard the linear tracker with red sparrow through sets horns at Bill's and then it was excellent
I do have Feickert Blackbird in my system (not the Firebird you mentioned that Is actually the flagship of the line but cost almost the double). It's a very good turntable; quite musical than dynamically explosive.
The chance to use two tonearms is a pleasant facility; Classic design, excellent construction... in the used market I also think that It Will be a good valute for Money in a jungle of many many alternatives.
Just my two cents...

rooze

Dec 29, 2012
USA
audioresurgence.com
I've had two Volares and a Woodpecker with Kuzma 12VTA, a Clearaudio Avantgarde Magnum, and the latest model Origin Live Resolution with all factory available upgrades with the Illustrious 3C arm. Currently, I'm using a Basis Audio Debut Gold Sig with vacuum platter.

Though not the same decks as those on your list, I think they're pretty close enough to chip-in with some thoughts.
I love Dr. Feickert tables. I ran the Woodpecker and OL Resolution side by side for a while into a Manley Steelhead. Two very different sounding decks. The Feickert sound is more weighty and authoritative while the OL Resolution was more detailed and airy. I never cared much for the Clearaudio deck, it was OK but nothing special.
The Basis Audio combines the heft and authority of the Woodpecker with the detail and air of the OL Resolution.
If I had to pick from your list, and given that you've already chosen a fantastic OL arm, I'd jump on the Sovereign Mk4 all day long.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
The Feickerts --no contest--the Clearaudio's are dull and rather dead sounding presenters.

I read Naim 's new TT is a Clearaudio product-if the genes are evident, then its Good night nurse there too:mad:!

Fit the 4 point on a Feickert and you have first class combo.

BruceD

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I've had two Volares and a Woodpecker with Kuzma 12VTA, a Clearaudio Avantgarde Magnum, and the latest model Origin Live Resolution with all factory available upgrades with the Illustrious 3C arm. Currently, I'm using a Basis Audio Debut Gold Sig with vacuum platter.

Though not the same decks as those on your list, I think they're pretty close enough to chip-in with some thoughts.
I love Dr. Feickert tables. I ran the Woodpecker and OL Resolution side by side for a while into a Manley Steelhead. Two very different sounding decks. The Feickert sound is more weighty and authoritative while the OL Resolution was more detailed and airy. I never cared much for the Clearaudio deck, it was OK but nothing special.
The Basis Audio combines the heft and authority of the Woodpecker with the detail and air of the OL Resolution.
If I had to pick from your list, and given that you've already chosen a fantastic OL arm, I'd jump on the Sovereign Mk4 all day long.
Thanks for the comprehensive response. I placed order for sovereign.

Reactions: rooze

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Congratulations. Look forward to your impressions when it is received. Currently enjoying a OL Sovereign MK3-2 with dual arm board option. Mounted is an Enterprise MK4 with Miyajima Madake and a Illustrious MK3c with the Ortofon Windfeld Ti.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
So have had the Origin Sovereign Special for a few months now. I am extremely pleased with it. I mated it with a Audiomod Series 6 tonearm and Soundsmith Sussuro cartridge. Compared to my old Rega Planar 8, everything is just better especially the bottom end. There is more solidity to the sound and a bit more coherence in the music. The Origin and Audiomod combo has also been relatively fuss free. I don't have any problems with noise. After months of contemplation and indecision, I am really happy with my decision and this an end game table for me. I might upgrade tonearm in the future, but table will always remain. Thanks everyone for feedback. I have attached pictures (you will see that polished Audiomod arm fits this table perfectly). I didn't think much about this when ordering but the blue light from the optical speed control definitely adds to the cool factor.
OL Sovreign 3.jpg
OL Sovreign 2.jpg OL Sovreign 1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing