Fiber vs. Ethernet sonic differences

@flashman you can see my posts above. I switched from a very generic multimode fiber setup to a Finisar SFP+ with single mode Corning glass fiber with my U2 Mini. There were improvements in overall smoothness and flow, less grain & less noise revealing blacker blacks and deeper soundstage. The difference was not massive, but was totally worth the $130 USD I spent on the upgrade.

@flashman you can see my posts above. I switched from a very generic multimode fiber setup to a Finisar SFP+ with single mode Corning glass fiber with my U2 Mini. There were improvements in overall smoothness and flow, less grain & less noise revealing blacker blacks and deeper soundstage. The difference was not massive, but was totally worth the $130 USD I spent on the upgrade.
Tuckers, I just made the change from multimode to single-mode Finisar SFP modules and Corning ClearCurve fibre. I do think there is an uptick in transparency, which is hard to believe as the multimode was quite good. Thanks for your observations.

Reactions: TRHH
try the single mode custom B grade connector Corning fiberoptic cable...I'm baffled,

THX - Seems to be similar to:

Torben
close but the cable I was already using, it's the connectors that apparently are important too...I do not see the (weird name) grade B connector mentioned in this ad.

All the connectors do is hold the fiber precisely in front of the laser and receiver, and apparently minute deviations cause more insertion loss. It's ceramic stuff, I dabbled with these connectors to get my ISP fiber connected to my router using glass fiber too and there I noted there are different quality grades.

the new cable is exactly the same corning material, but with different connectors and there are clearly audible differences.

the new cable is exactly the same corning material, but with different connectors and there are clearly audible differences.

Thanks. Did you order LC UPC?

Torben

Last edited:
Thanks. Did you order LC UPS?

Torben
I did, but Do check your SFP+ for requirements, as that is the decisive factor (if yours is single mode it's likely using LC LC UPS UPS but ALL variants are possible, even asymmetrical)

I did, but Do check your SFP+ for requirements, as that is the decisive factor (if yours is single mode it's likely using LC LC UPS UPS but ALL variants are possible, even asymmetrical)

Torben

you should be OK with LC-LC both ends both fibers UPS

The one you got has UPC connectors (Ultra Physical Contact) and the other one, the one that I got has APC connectors (Angled Physical Contact).

The optical performance of APC connectors is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: kostas6a3

Thanks - But no information about grade and bend insensitive fiber optic patch cable.

If you look here all the important information is there:

You can even get it with APC connectors

Torben

Last edited:
Thanks - But no information about grade and bend insensitive fiber optic patch cable.

If you look here all the important information is there:

You can even get it with APC connectors

Torben
Why do you need these exact specs?

Because this looks more like the ones you use for cabling in data centers, enterprise networks, telecom rooms, server farms, cloud storage networks aso where you need km's of them and bend insensitive ones are required for saving space.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing