Fiber vs. Ethernet sonic differences

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
THX - But I have been told it would not work with a Cisco switch - in my case Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch (GS110-8-HW-EU).

Any suggestions for an alternative SFP?

Torben
Can I ask who told you it would not work with Cisco?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
This ADOT FMC is nothing more than a rebadged 10Gtek one it seems…
I know. For a low volume product like an Audiophile converter I guess it would be financial difficult to start from scratch. So why not start with a good base and work on feasible improvements?

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
Did ask another dealer:

"The device is made by Cisco. You should prefer transceivers for Cisco devices, as they contain the appropriate coding".

So FTLF1318P3BTL can not be used.

Reactions: orange55

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Cisco devices read the coded ID in the transceiver. If it's not Cisco, or an off-brand coded with "Cisco" ID it won't work. You don't have to use more expensive Cisco SFPs, but it must be Cisco compatible, which some others are. Of course other compatibility aspects still apply (wavelength, type).

Reactions: orange55

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
You don't have to use more expensive Cisco SFPs, but it must be Cisco compatible, which some others are. Of course other compatibility aspects still apply (wavelength, type).

@MarkusBarkus Thanks - I know. Already have a setup that works. Bu everybody talks about how good FTLF1318P3BTL is.

If FTLF1318P3BTL is not an opportunity, do you have any suggestion for an alternativ?

THX

Torben

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Hi @TRHH Sorry for the redundancy. I recognize some listeners have cited strong opinions about specific SFPs. I have noticed some difference, but not night and day. Perhaps SM over MM is the most noticeable (to me).

To me, the best usage was with SFP+ transceivers. You likely already know, SFP+ fit into the SFP "cages." There is sometimes chatter about them not being compatible, but they are, all other variables being correct (wavelength, etc.).

I have used the three below to good effect, including my original MM 10G Tek module, although the others were better. I bought 10G Tek FMC and SFPs to test proof of concept a few years ago (cheap).

Currently, I am back to ethernet, as Emile at Taiko reported testing with their machine to favor copper over fiber. However, I was on fiber for a few years, and also have an audio-only fiber ISP to the house

IMO, my "best" ever optical set-up was:
--ISP Fiber modem on LPS
--Router on LPS (copper from modem to router)
--Buffalo switch modded w/PinkFaun OCXO (copper router to sw.)
--Sonore OM (SFP+ in switch and OM, SM cable).
--10meter SM fiber into Extreme server.
--Network gear on dedicated line, opposite phase from audio.
--Corning fiber cable.

I tested SFPs and SFP+ modules both in Extreme, OM and PFBuffalo switch. Theoretically, the more precise electronics in SFP+ "should" be better, but the difference is minor re: SQ. To me.

I am still a fan of fiber, but now only have the MSB ProISL converter into their Ref dac.

Attachments

• B95CB24A-9576-4721-9B63-E5136506E7E4.jpeg
    B95CB24A-9576-4721-9B63-E5136506E7E4.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 30

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Do some of you experiment loss of connection of your streamer when streaming from Qobuz or Tidal and using optical modules in the chain ?
This happens to me since i got my 2 Sonore optical modules Deluxe v2 mostly during week days.
I have very fast fibre internet speed in the house close to 1 gig.
My 2 Sonore modules are placed between my Paul Pang Switch and my LinQ streamer.
I tried them between my router and Switch and it is even worst.
This is very strange because during weekends i don't experiment these loss of connections.

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
My 2 Sonore modules are placed between my Paul Pang Switch and my LinQ streamer.

@Thieliste 2? Only need one - from switch to (Fiber Optic Patch Cable) to Sonore optical modules Deluxe v2 to DAC (LAN)

What LAN cable are you using for "the last miles"? Try a CAT6 UTP and see if it helps.

Torben

PS: This my current setup. I don't have Sonore optical modules Deluxe v2 - jet :) But only one FMC

OI 09112022.jpg

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@Thieliste any chance it could be a power hiccup to one of those devices? The only time I ever had issues was when something was off (intentional or not) and things came back up, I think, in an order the network didn't like.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
His Paul Pang Quad Switch doesn't have a SFP port so you need two Sonore optical modules Deluxe v2.
That’s right.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Ok guys, just found out my problem.
It is my PP Switch that causes these huge drops in speed when paired with the 2 Sonore modules.
This is very strange because when i do speed tests from PP Switch speed is maxed out.
The 2 Sonores Modules connected directly to the router without Switch same thing great speed.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Last edited:
Reactions: TRHH

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
If you guys had to choose between Ethernet Switch and Optical modules to place between router and streamer, which do you like best Switch or optical modules alone ?

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
If you guys had to choose between Ethernet Switch and Optical modules to place between router and streamer, which do you like best Switch or optical modules alone ?

I would always choose a good Switch with SFP and for the "last mile" (20-30 cm) a FMC. That way I am flexible if new things come along.

Today I will get single-mode SFP and will compare it with my Multimode setup I have.

I don't know if this answer your question.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I have not and can not try optic into my streamer. I have an old Melco N1 Z / 1 as NAS connected to my Naim streamer with a LAN cable. The old Melco works without problems so in one way no need to replace it but back in my mind I have an option when changing it. That is also to replace my Naim streamer for a Taiko or a Pink Faun ultra streamer and buy a DAC. Cost wise it will not be a huge difference compared to a N10. Prefered sound? No idea but I have respect for the quality of the streamers from both Pink Faun and Taiko.

I have had some discussions with Pink Faun about this and then with a possible optic connection into the streamer. @MarkusBarkus , I am not technical skilled as you but my feeling is that you (Taiko) says the same thing as Pink Faun and that’s that the sound will be ”less good” with optical directly into the streamer compared to a LAN connection. The optic should be installed earlier in the chain. Correct understood?

SFP? I have never tried a +. Could be interesting. Two years ago I would never have thought that different SFPs could change the sound. Neither did I know singelmode nor multimode. 1475 didn’t work for me. The 1318 yes. I am sure there are even “better “ on the market. But how to know witch? Through …. WhatsBestForum……..

Reactions: TRHH

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Ok guys, just found out my problem.
It is my PP Switch that causes these huge drops in speed when paired with the 2 Sonore modules.
This is very strange because when i do speed tests from PP Switch speed is maxed out.
The 2 Sonores Modules connected directly to the router without Switch same thing great speed.
Strange. No problems during the weekend but during the weeks.…..

Could it not be anything external which takes down the speed during the weeks? We use the same internet supplier as you. Orange. Sometimes it slows down a lot. Especially during December when we have the Christmas market. I see it when surfing but have never had problems with streaming.

With your Quad. Can you just connect 2 or 3 of the switches and try?

Something I guess you already have done. Switch of all routers, switches and the “livebox”. Wait a few minutes and then start up one by one. Start the switch on with the livebox and continue one by one. I do that occasionally but I never had problems with streaming. Our routers are set up so they priorities streaming and the TV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing