Fiber vs. Ethernet sonic differences

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Haha well this is the only place on the whole Internet where there are people claiming they have a scientific background and create their own "reality" about what sounds best. The funny thing, they even admit they don't even know the products or have ever listened to the product etc.
If you for example head over to the Roon community forum where passionate people try out various measures with pro&cons they you will also read that things improved considerably when using a scenario you are intending to use.

• Love
Reactions: rDin and TRHH

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I own 2 of the new Sonore optical modules Deluxe V2 and i can tell you it does make a difference!
I have a very good Switch in my system but the optical modules improved the sound more than my Switch alone.
I have not compared basic optical modules against my Sonore though.
Like Gunnar on this forum i have found Finisar SFP 1318 to be the best in my system and i own several others like the 1475.

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
@Thieliste - THX.

Finisar SFP would not be a "good match" - they are not compatible with Cisco.

Thats why I currently have this setup - see below. Maybe their is coming a good Black Friday deal for the Sonore optical modules Deluxe V2 :) :) :)

OI 09112022.jpg s

Reactions: Thieliste

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I was also surprised to read the comments on the other Forum. Read it as emotional and not objective as well as lack of an open mind. OK, less spendings but …. Maybe different systems.

True, Cisco does not take the 1318. If you go for an Audiophile converter you will not be able to use singelmode. For me moving from PVC and multimode to singelmode with a glas fibre cable gave a nice further uplift.

No thoughts of replacing the Cisco switch? Etherregen is a good value for money. As always better with an external power supply but could wait.

i can neither comment on a cheap compared to an expensive converter but no question the ADOT have made a clear positive difference. First by itself and then a bit further with the 1318.

Reactions: TRHH

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
True, Cisco does not take the 1318
Right now I am looking at BlueOptics - Compatible Cisco GLC-SX-MMD - BO05C856S5D SFP Transceiver, LC Duplex, 1000Base-SX, Multi-mode, 850nm/850nm, 550 Meter, DDM

with:

I think it would work with the Sonore optical modules Deluxe V2 - but I am not quit sure :)

Torben

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
This is my current setup.

View attachment 100299
This is my current optical isolation "of-the-self" setup - see below.

Have been looking for a comparison with Sonore Optical Module - but no luck. Would it be wort spending 500€ on a Sonore Optical Module?

What would the best SFP for this setup?

THX
Torben
I would recommend reading this review as SPF can have a big impact on the sound, bigger than some may think until you test them side by side.

Reactions: Puma Cat and TRHH

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
@jasond - THX.

The strange thing is, if you ask in another forum, you do get a complet opposite feedback:

I can tell you from personal experience the more you can filter the incoming signal the better the linn with sound.

Have you seen this thread? https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-new-king-of-usb-network-gadget-setup.27758/

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
This is my current setup.

View attachment 100299
This is my current optical isolation "of-the-self" setup - see below.

Have been looking for a comparison with Sonore Optical Module - but no luck. Would it be wort spending 500€ on a Sonore Optical Module?

What would the best SFP for this setup?

THX
Torben

I'm using 2 Startech SFP1000ZXST, 1 in my Cisco switch and 1 in my Startech ET91000SFP2 FMC. Mind you, they are single mode, not multimode like you're using now so your cable won't work with these SFP's.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
@Drikus - @orange55 - @Gunnar - Do you prefer single mode SFP? Is there a different to multi-mode?

And what are you using as FMC?

THX :)

Torben
In my testing this is the best Sfp which has cable attached. I believe it is multi mode, but it wiped the floor of the single modes.
Finisar FCBG110SD1C03 AOC
It also gets great reviews here https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ch-group-buy-for-audiophilestylecom/#comments

I purchased it from here: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail...L3HgZpizBqQ==&countryCode=GB&currencyCode=GBP

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
In my testing this is the best Sfp which has cable attached. I believe it is multi mode, but it wiped the floor of the single modes.
Finisar FCBG110SD1C03 AOC
It also gets great reviews here https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ch-group-buy-for-audiophilestylecom/#comments

I purchased it from here: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail...L3HgZpizBqQ==&countryCode=GB&currencyCode=GBP

THX - But I have been told it would not work with a Cisco switch - in my case Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch (GS110-8-HW-EU).

Any suggestions for an alternative SFP?

Torben

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
@Drikus - @orange55 - @Gunnar - Do you prefer single mode SFP? Is there a different to multi-mode?

And what are you using as FMC?

THX :)

Torben
My FMC is a Melco ADOT powered by Farad Super3.

I started with what ADOT was delivered with. Multimode transceivers and a standard optic cable. A clear improvement from not using a converter.

Then I bought new transceivers. I use now Finisar 1318 and a glass fibre singelmode cable from Phoenix. Yes that improved the sound even further. Clearer and cleaner.

Sounds strange, at least for me, that different transceivers sounds different……. Fortunately they are not expensive. So possible to try different ones.

Gunnar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing