Forget it Jake, it's Audiophile

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Attached is an article that discusses the differences in dynamic range for different genres. The article gets in the weeds a bit because it not only discusses music, but it discusses hearing aids and music listening (which might be interesting to some of you). For your convenience, I have highlighted the sections of the article that most apply to music listening. Please note that rock music because of the way it is produced is quite dynamically limited compared to acoustic music recordings or the spoken voice. Because there is no way to "reference" electronic music and most recordings of this genre are dynamically compressed, I believe it is a limited resource as far as helping one decide how to assemble a SOTA hi fi system or to design SOTA components. There is no question, however, that rock and other types of electronic music are totally enjoyable, and should be central in the repertoire if one prefers listening to it whether they have a SOTA system or not. If one is designing or assembling a SOTA system, live acoustic music is the best reference.

Attachments

• Dynamic range Across Music Genres.pdf
    524.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you Karen. That is a fascinating article. I long suspected that choir and opera recordings have the greatest dynamic range. I have a more difficult time setting the volume control on my system when listening to those two genres because there is such a difference between soft and loud.

I do love to listen to my early Black Sabbath records though, especially when I crank them. I just wish I had the originals and not the thicker remasterings.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Attached is an article that discusses the differences in dynamic range for different genres. The article gets in the weeds a bit because it not only discusses music, but it discusses hearing aids and music listening (which might be interesting to some of you). For your convenience, I have highlighted the sections of the article that most apply to music listening. Please note that rock music because of the way it is produced is quite dynamically limited compared to acoustic music recordings or the spoken voice. Because there is no way to "reference" electronic music and most recordings of this genre are dynamically compressed, I believe it is a limited resource as far as helping one decide how to assemble a SOTA hi fi system or to design SOTA components. There is no question, however, that rock and other types of electronic music are totally enjoyable, and should be central in the repertoire if one prefers listening to it whether they have a SOTA system or not. If one is designing or assembling a SOTA system, live acoustic music is the best reference.
One of the recordings I use to demo dynamic range is the Verdi Requiem, side 1 track 2 of the Soria RCA boxset.
In the same way that the Black Sabbath Vertigo recording can shut a system down, so can this LP. The bass drum score calls has a quadruple forte (ffff); When we played that decades ago in the civic orchestra, the conductor instructed the percussion section to hit it as hard as they could.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
One of the recordings I use to demo dynamic range is the Verdi Requiem, side 1 track 2 of the Soria RCA boxset.
In the same way that the Black Sabbath Vertigo recording can shut a system down, so can this LP. The bass drum score calls has a quadruple forte (ffff); When we played that decades ago in the civic orchestra, the conductor instructed the percussion section to hit it as hard as they could.
Not the same recording but allow me to make some illustration for you Ralph.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
We used to use the word Hifi as a pejorative, in the same way as I think some people use audiophile. Saying a system or component was hifi meant that it highlighted things like a sparkly treble, tight but robotic bass, transparency and a delineated soundstage. The pejorative part was that these elements kind of obscured or overshadowed the heart and meaning of the music, the expressiveness. Usually this was used by fans of vintage gear like Garrard turntables and field coil drivers :). And I do sympathize with the sentiment, but I don't have much in the way of vintage gear these days.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
We used to use the word Hifi as a pejorative, in the same way as I think some people use audiophile. Saying a system or component was hifi meant that it highlighted things like a sparkly treble, tight but robotic bass, transparency and a delineated soundstage. The pejorative part was that these elements kind of obscured or overshadowed the heart and meaning of the music, the expressiveness. Usually this was used by fans of vintage gear like Garrard turntables and field coil drivers :). And I do sympathize with the sentiment, but I don't have much in the way of vintage gear these days.
Great post Tucker. Robotic bass… awesomely put. Overshadowing the heart of the music and expressiveness… very much so, it’s just too easy to chase sonic highlights and throw the cohesive balance of the whole out and lose that immediate connected flow into music. That direct connection is not limited to vintage gear either… though the model for it is there back in the way that things started.

Reactions: Karen Sumner

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Saying a system or component was hifi meant that it highlighted things like a sparkly treble, tight but robotic bass, transparency and a delineated soundstage. The pejorative part was that these elements kind of obscured or overshadowed the heart and meaning of the music, the expressiveness.
Overshadowing the heart of the music and expressiveness… very much so, it’s just too easy to chase sonic highlights and throw the cohesive balance of the whole out and lose that immediate connected flow into music. That direct connection is not limited to vintage gear either… though the model for it is there back in the way that things started.
We seem to have forgotten that the original term was high fidelity, as in fidelity to music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing