forum is really really S - L - O - W---maintenance going on?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I had this earlier today, but okay now.

F785372E-EBCF-4CE9-883B-E559EE5A9C2B.png

Reactions: NorthStar

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That is you Steve is talking about Bob ! Check your personal email !

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I works ok / normal speed for me this morning. We are on a shared host so probably the server got loaded by one or more of the other websites it is hosting. With Coronovirus normal usage may have change i.e. gone up at certain times of the day.

I'll talk to them, see what they say.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Status Update..........

I am posting this update as I have been getting emails from friends of members in China, and Hong Kong telling me that they are unable to access the site. As I have stated here WBF incurred 2 major assaults on the site last year and our ISP blacklisted China and Hong Kong. We added the firewall in order tallow access to our members in China and Hong Kong as the only other ways was for those members to use a VPN (forbidden in China). This firewall has served us reasonably well after the glitches were ironed out. Last week for whatever reason the site was very slow.

Submitting a ticket earlier in the week confirmed to our tech support that indeed it was the firewall as they removed it and directed all traffic directly to the server and bypass the firewall. When they did the speed returned to normal. Our problem at this point was whether they could program the firewall to work at normal speeds. As soon as the firewall was lifted everyone could access the site at normal speed BUT members from China and Hong Kong could not gain access as the countries remain black listed. This will not change due to the severity of the assault on our site

I spent several hours last night talking to tech support about how to resolve the issue because we don't want to lose our members from China and Hong Kong. Some are accessing the site now with a VPN

Finally late last night I got the message that indicates we should be able to soon see the light at the end of the tunnel.......here is what I received

"So as I mentioned about testing and finding this one option that might have been causing it and it seems like it fixes the speed issue.
The option is called "XMLRPC, Comments and Trackbacks blocked" and this was causing it from what i see because now I am sending your site to go through the DoS firewall and it is going as fast as the site directly to the web server.
Maybe tomorrow morning we can test it together and then switch back to the DoS firewall.

Please update me with your availability for tomorrow morning."

In summary I will be on the phone with them today at 1000 with the chief tech at which time he will access my computer by team viewer. Then he will redirect my IP address through the DoS and if the speed is as he says then all members will once again be directed through the DoS firewall. At that point everyone should have normal speeds and members from China and Hong Kong will also have no problems accessing the site

So I hope t finally put this issue to rest later today

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
"So as I mentioned about testing and finding this one option that might have been causing it and it seems like it fixes the speed issue.
The option is called "XMLRPC, Comments and Trackbacks blocked" and this was causing it from what i see [...]

Speaking of XML RPC, does that include XHR (a.k.a. XMLHttpRequest)? The WBF does a ton of this by the way:

It's always the same URL. Request body size is always 0 so they're just a blank pings. Reply is always just the little object {"more":true}. In fact, the Sucuri firewall makes no difference to these XHR interactions. Given this firewall option, I'm actually surprised this part was working before...

Attachments

• wbf_xhr.jpg
    wbf_xhr.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: NorthStar

Steve Williams

Speaking of XML RPC, does that include XHR (a.k.a. XMLHttpRequest)? The WBF does a ton of this by the way:

It's always the same URL. Request body size is always 0 so they're just a blank pings. Reply is always just the little object {"more":true}. In fact, the Sucuri firewall makes no difference to these XHR interactions. Given this firewall option, I'm actually surprised this part was working before...
All above my pay grade. I wish I understood your point as it seems important.I have forwarded it to our ISP techs

Steve Williams

Hello all

I have just finished with our tech support and we are now once again going through the DoS firewall and the speed is unchanged. We spent 30inutes on Team Viewer and I watched them direct traffic to the server and then direct traffic to the server via the DoS and the speed is unchanged

As a result we feel they have solved the problem and by doing such there should be no reason for members from China and Hong Kong to need a VPN to access the site. It should be business as usual

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
I can confirm that speed is good and no more connection issues from HK.
Well done !

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Steve : A million thanks!

We are addicted to WBF. :p

Thank you again!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
FYI

503's are back today

Steve Williams

I was told that it all depends on the traffic passing through the DoS at the same time and not uncommonly a server 503 message will occur. Others including myself have gotten "fatal error "messages which I was told by out tech support is the same as a 503 message.

Fortunately as they stated, just close your browser , then reopen the browser and click on the site. I have yet to have this not provide an immediate fix

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing