Game of Thrones | Season 8 | Official Trailer (HBO) and episode one synopsis

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've heard via the grape vine that the present day story ends with this weeks episode and that episode 6 takes a look at everyone in a more distant time and what has become of them. I have no idea whether this is true or not

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Dunno, these writers like to throw in surprises and Jon as Lead Senator would not have a throne...but be there to guide the future. Sansa disliked Dany from the start without cause...long befire she knew the real identity of Jon Snow. Greyworm will have his revenge before he dies.

Let's hope they do throw in some surprise. If its Jon and Dany riding out into the sunset on Drogon, gonna be pissed off! I can't see GRRM ever ending the books with a happy ending.

In the Game of Thrones everything is about survival as Cersei told Ned Stark in the garden many moons ago.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm disappointed with #4.

It's almost impossible Dany didn't know about the new Anti-Dragon weapons via several different means, including the guy who was sent to kill Tyrion and Jamie, then made a deal with Tyrion. He would be a good source of intel about the current state of Cersei's forces and now has a vested interest in Dany winning, and would certainly be executed by Cersei given the chance. The "ambush" is just ridiculous given the massive advantage dragon recon can give you, and then the surprise spear Rhaegal took and his death was just bad. The fact Euron didn't subsequently kill or capture everyone on the boats they destroyed makes no sense either. They should all be dead except Dany who would have to retreat with Drogon vs getting speared trying to save the rest. Ugh, this was just horrible.

Jon Snow telling his sisters about his true parentage was a horrible mistake if he's not intent on being King, and he did it right after Dany told him not to and gave him a bunch of reasons why. If the truth gets out... and it will... it will make Dany's claim to the throne less legitimate and it's just not something Jon can disavow. It was ridiculously stupid to tell Dany in the first place, now this? It's just piling stupid on top of stupid and I can't believe it. Jon isn't that stupid. Maybe I could see it earlier in the show but now? No way.

And Sansa also isn't so stupid to let on to everyone in the world how much she doesn't like or trust Dany.

The decision on how to proceed seemed full of stupid too, the issue on whether or not to let people rest and heal before heading out to King's Landing was cringe-worthy. All about politics and promises rather than what would make them most effective and best accomplish their goals? Nobody there is that stupid.

This episode was just one big stupid-fest for Dany and her allies. It wasn't believable. Sigh...

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I'm disappointed with #4.

It's almost impossible Dany didn't know about the new Anti-Dragon weapons via several different means, including the guy who was sent to kill Tyrion and Jamie, then made a deal with Tyrion. He would be a good source of intel about the current state of Cersei's forces and now has a vested interest in Dany winning, and would certainly be executed by Cersei given the chance. The "ambush" is just ridiculous given the massive advantage dragon recon can give you, and then the surprise spear Rhaegal took and his death was just bad. The fact Euron didn't subsequently kill or capture everyone on the boats they destroyed makes no sense either. They should all be dead except Dany who would have to retreat with Drogon vs getting speared trying to save the rest. Ugh, this was just horrible.

Jon Snow telling his sisters about his true parentage was a horrible mistake if he's not intent on being King, and he did it right after Dany told him not to and gave him a bunch of reasons why. If the truth gets out... and it will... it will make Dany's claim to the throne less legitimate and it's just not something Jon can disavow. It was ridiculously stupid to tell Dany in the first place, now this? It's just piling stupid on top of stupid and I can't believe it. Jon isn't that stupid. Maybe I could see it earlier in the show but now? No way.

And Sansa also isn't so stupid to let on to everyone in the world how much she doesn't like or trust Dany.

The decision on how to proceed seemed full of stupid too, the issue on whether or not to let people rest and heal before heading out to King's Landing was cringe-worthy. All about politics and promises rather than what would make them most effective and best accomplish their goals? Nobody there is that stupid.

This episode was just one big stupid-fest for Dany and her allies. It wasn't believable. Sigh...
As a guy who watched from episode one series one from day one and then every episode for every series as they played out I actually (circumstances only)... haven’t set up a tv since moving house and putting my horns and Harbeths and SET together... probably one of the most telling things about how much I’m enjoying music is that I still haven’t got around to putting on Foxtel to see series 8 yet... but I will catch up sometime I figure.

But I am enjoying the discussion from a measured distance... so it seems series 8 is having its bumpy moments.

Said with the deepest respect and love for all the characters of GOT and not said flippantly at all... United Nations now forecasts 1 million+ species of animals and plants to be lost to climate change... if so then indeed truly winter is coming. :(

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was not aware that Starbucks coffee was available during this era.

Check out the product placement @ 2:27.

Last edited:

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I was not aware that Starbucks coffe was available during this era.

Check out the product placement @ 2:27.

Guess it was. After all, this is not our reality and is perhaps four five alternate realities away. Soooo, it’s possible.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
When was coffee invented?
The earliest credible evidence of either coffee drinking or knowledge of the coffee tree appears in the middle of the 15th century, in Yemen's Sufi monasteries.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coffee
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coffee

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think Jon will end up killing Dany, but abdicate the throne and return to Castle Black as hinted to Tormund last episode. Bran is another wildcard here.

The Dany "tragedy" was actually pretty good this episode. She's been betrayed by everyone, all her best advisors are dead, and no one loves her in Westeros so in some sense you feel for her - just not sure I buy that she would burn a city alive. That said, Tywin Lannister killed everyone in Kings Landing when Robert took the throne from the Targaryens. History rhymes.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Arya is going to figure in this somehow

I think Jon Snow saw the devastation Dany created and was overwhelmed by it all. So I suppose yes he could kill Dany but Drogon too has to be eliminated

I was hoping for a real cruel death for Cersei. I thought Jame was going to take her down but he was still in love with her

The Hound vs his brother was some fight and could only end in the manner in was shown.

And yes I agree about what final role Bran will have. Sansa wasn't even in last night's episode

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
My thinking has Arya or Jon killing Dany because of the horror they saw, felt and were shocked by. Hard to tell which one.

Bran and Sansa are indeed the wild cards. But Sansa does not have an army and Bran is a space cadet with no obvious strengths other than to be able to see the history and future. Useful knowledge but how does he act upon it?

I can’t ‘see’ anything further. Who, how wins the Throne - If anyone!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Theoretically Drogon can't burn John

Reactions: DaveC

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Because he is a Targaryen? Albeit 50%?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm picking John. The Prince that was promised <wink>

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing