Gamut M250i mono blocks vs ???

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
All the GamuT electronics are discontinued. They're supposedly working on a brand new line.

That makes sense in view of the age of the existing models. They've only tinkered with things since the original founder of Gamut left to explore new avenues. Changes to the original D200 for example were D200 Mk II, D200 Mk III and most recently D200i - all very similar.

Perhaps they'll use a digital amp module as these now seem to have matured to the extent there's little justification for burning the world's resources to power Class A, AB, or tube amps and room correction will surely soon be a standard feature built into the better digital amps - hopefully!

Last edited:

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
I have found myself down to two amps. Interestingly its whats been cast aside which I am am most surprised by. I know everything is about Synergy rather than what is ‘better or worse’ but i have listened to brands from YBA, Esoteric, Soulution , TAD, CH precision, Ayon. Some are different to my Gamuts but none of them worth the huge spend. They just aren’t a big enough leap. Admittedly the CH’s are the A1’s but i did have 2 of them in Monoaural mode!
I have two amps left. Bernings Quadratures and Totaldac Amp-1. And they are in a different league to these to me. One has more body. One more speed. Both so musical and transparent.
So already the moral to me Is forget cost and use ears. The Totaldac is a bargain when you think some of the amps it has bettered are close to £50k.
Back to my listening room as I have to decide. I wish i could keep them both

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
the problem for me is not obvious,but i suggest that before you turn it off the amp,turn the volume to ZERO first.
Unfortunately the start up and switch off thumps are irrespective of volume control. It's an amp-generated surge, not something it gets from the preamp. As I said, probably not important to lower efficiency speakers but a serious concern if your speakers are over 100dB. Peter

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014
Unfortunately the start up and switch off thumps are irrespective of volume control. It's an amp-generated surge, not something it gets from the preamp. As I said, probably not important to lower efficiency speakers but a serious concern if your speakers are over 100dB. Peter
Hi Peter,
understand

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014
I have found myself down to two amps. Interestingly its whats been cast aside which I am am most surprised by. I know everything is about Synergy rather than what is ‘better or worse’ but i have listened to brands from YBA, Esoteric, Soulution , TAD, CH precision, Ayon. Some are different to my Gamuts but none of them worth the huge spend. They just aren’t a big enough leap. Admittedly the CH’s are the A1’s but i did have 2 of them in Monoaural mode!
I have two amps left. Bernings Quadratures and Totaldac Amp-1. And they are in a different league to these to me. One has more body. One more speed. Both so musical and transparent.
So already the moral to me Is forget cost and use ears. The Totaldac is a bargain when you think some of the amps it has bettered are close to £50k.
Back to my listening room as I have to decide. I wish i could keep them both
you means you sold the Gamut M250i already?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Have you determined what you find lacking in your Gamut amps and are you going to audition the amps in your system before you purchase?

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
you means you sold the Gamut M250i already?
No not yet. I am sending them to Denmark (back to Gamut) for a service before selling. They are shut down until june 10th. When i sell things i like them to be like new and perfect order. Then i will advertise

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
Have you determined what you find lacking in your Gamut amps and are you going to audition the amps in your system before you purchase?
I started this thread because i was very happy with the Gamuts and didnt really miss anything, but having had them since 2015 wondered what else was out there. My room is not big and i have realised i dont need wrecking ball power in my room and have discovered a bit more delicacy and deftness. All be it with the loss of some bass control / slam with the Berning Quads. I love the Gamut Amps and they drive anything with sheer confidence. Not over blown or bombastic. Just right. But i am now having a period with the tonal delicacy tubes bring via the Bernings. I certainly would not have swapped them for the other solid states i demo’d.

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
Hi,i'm a user of Gamut m250i too.it's a really good ampifer no matter compare other ampifer.but unfortunately now is discontinued:(
Those amps were designed by Michael Edinger.
Gamut shafted this brilliant engineer years ago and now they have no clue how to improve them beside changing front and cover. But Michael can. And I think he is still able to do M300 monos for invidual clients.

Gamut was for years doing speaker cases for B&W and this is what they are good at. Working with wood ;)
I will have monos M250mk3 soon for testing, which have a bit more generous transformer than M250i.

Musiclab M300
925034-cbadea35-musiklab-ultimate-audio-m300-monoblocks-built-as-a-supercharged-gamut-m250-mki...jpg

Gamut M250i
250i.jpg

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
ATMA-SPHERE

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014
Those amps were designed by Michael Edinger.
Gamut shafted this brilliant engineer years ago and now they have no clue how to improve them beside changing front and cover. But Michael can. And I think he is still able to do M300 monos for invidual clients.

Gamut was for years doing speaker cases for B&W and this is what they are good at. Working with wood ;)
I will have monos M250mk3 soon for testing, which have a bit more generous transformer than M250i.

Musiclab M300
View attachment 71496

Gamut M250i
i know the Gamut Amp designer is Mr Ole Lund Christianson?but i am not sure because i know from HIFI magazine
and the B&W case is from KVIST,i know also from magzine

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
Similar to KT150 I think, with better bottom, the same smoothens and a lot of details.
They have time to show every sound, very effortless presentation.
So. It turns out the answers to my queries were here all along.

I have just got around to sending my Gamut amps to Michael at Musiklab.

He found a number of issues, not least a standing wave in both amps which meant a new sound board and, more importantly, an issue sith some gamut sound boards as for both monos to have the issue something unexplained is going on.

What is apparent is that these utterly brilliant and award winning amps are Michaels design and he is able to tweak them further.

Goes to show the fluff and bollocks in this industry and false reality advertising creates. The Gamut M250i’s won golden ear awards 4 years in a row, yet no magazine has reviewed Musiklab amps and these amps are basically sweeter M250i’s and remain largely unheard of.

If you like solid state grip with tube sweetness you have to spend upwards of £50k to better these Gamuts. And even that is subjective.

i am sure there are other amazing amps out there that sit below the corporate marketing and grip of the magazines.

Knowing what i know now i would actually find / buy older Gamut 250 mkiii monos (predecessor to the m250i) and send them to Michael at Musiklab for a service / upgrade and know i have some of the best mono block power amps ever made for sub £5k. Or i could go into a shop and buy soulution or TAD or whatever (read back, i demoed these at home and they were no better than my poor performing Gamuts even with their sign wave issue) and be £45k poorer but with emperors new clothes.

Am i starting a debate or is this principal generally agreed amongst the audio ‘in crowd’?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Knowing what i know now i would actually find / buy older Gamut 250 mkiii monos (predecessor to the m250i) and send them to Michael at Musiklab for a service / upgrade and know i have some of the best mono block power amps ever made for sub £5k.
I had the 2-channel version of the M250 - the D200 Mk III for a year or so. I bought it used from a dealer that I'd bought a Benchmark AHB2 from a few months earlier. The Benchmark was drearily dull, so the dealer kindly offered me a full-value credit note on return. I spotted the used GamuT and bought it unheard, but read about.

Certainly its sound was astonishing and I'd have kept it apart from one unforgivable feature. This is warned about in the User Manual and continues into the latest D200i version - unless recently changed. They warn of a start-up and power-down sound through the speakers. Unfortunately my speakers were 104 dB sensitivity Avantgarde horns, so the start-up sound became a serious thump. Concerned for my speakers, this feature alone sent the GamuT to a new owner. Very sad because, of the dozen amps I home tested over a prolonged period, I'd probably have gone for the GamuT.

You mention Musiklabs. Is this stringamp.com as it doesn't seem to be musiklab.co.uk?

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Musik Lab is not a very good website. It lists amps and one preamp, but no information about them. No pictures and no prices. I think they basically want to sell electric violins.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
So. It turns out the answers to my queries were here all along.

I have just got around to sending my Gamut amps to Michael at Musiklab.

He found a number of issues, not least a standing wave in both amps which meant a new sound board and, more importantly, an issue sith some gamut sound boards as for both monos to have the issue something unexplained is going on.

What is apparent is that these utterly brilliant and award winning amps are Michaels design and he is able to tweak them further.

Goes to show the fluff and bollocks in this industry and false reality advertising creates. The Gamut M250i’s won golden ear awards 4 years in a row, yet no magazine has reviewed Musiklab amps and these amps are basically sweeter M250i’s and remain largely unheard of.

If you like solid state grip with tube sweetness you have to spend upwards of £50k to better these Gamuts. And even that is subjective.

i am sure there are other amazing amps out there that sit below the corporate marketing and grip of the magazines.

Knowing what i know now i would actually find / buy older Gamut 250 mkiii monos (predecessor to the m250i) and send them to Michael at Musiklab for a service / upgrade and know i have some of the best mono block power amps ever made for sub £5k. Or i could go into a shop and buy soulution or TAD or whatever (read back, i demoed these at home and they were no better than my poor performing Gamuts even with their sign wave issue) and be £45k poorer but with emperors new clothes.

Am i starting a debate or is this principal generally agreed amongst the audio ‘in crowd’?

Roy Gregory recently wrote a blog post about the subject of the "grip of the magazines" and how times are changing. You can check out his recent blog/review site gy8.eu for other interesting articles as well. There are even some of the on-line reviewers calling out some of these highly lauded reviewers for their lack of anything that resembles a real listening space.

I am attaching the link to the article here. I hope it doesn't break any rules.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing