Getting into 4K video

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks. This TV accepts HDR on HDMI inputs 2 & 3; otherwise, it's not user-assignable. Sony calls it "enhanced format" in the menus, and I think that was a poor choice of words

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
and FWIW, this calibrator https://www.accucalav.com/about-us/ claims that he "has a Pioneer 151FD plasma of which Universal Pictures has 100 for film production, because of its size and excellent color accuracy".

The interesting thing is that my calibrator told me that Universal and other studios have recently replaced their Kuros with the Sony A8F and A9F. Just rumors??? We'll see.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Regarding the ISF calibration results - which I generally hate - I have come to the following conclusions:

1) Picture is too bright - so turn down the Brightness, see above

2) Colors are too saturated - turn that down, see above

3) They used the Expert1 color temperature, which clearly gives me a yellowish hue. Then, referring to https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a8f/settings they say "We chose 'Expert 1' for the 'Color temperature' as this was closest to our calibration target of 6500K. If you find the color temperature to be too warm (reddish or yellowish) you can set it to a colder temperature.". I have never liked such a cold color temperature on any TV, and the Kuro was much warmer, perhaps using as low as 4000K but can't really be sure. Also, I don't understand why they advise a "colder" temperature if the results are reddish or yellowish, as opposed to "warmer"??!? What am I missing?

4) Looking at the White Balance section of the same link, I noticed that the Advanced Color Settings on their TV - which apply to all inputs - are vastly different than what my calibrator chose, and these are the only settings I actually inherited from the calibrator. The link does warn though that "They are provided for reference, and should not be copied as the calibration values vary per individual unit even for the same model and same size as the TV we reviewed due to manufacturing tolerances. If you want to try them you will need to enter all values shown, as all of them are active at the same time. If you end up with worse picture quality, simply reset them to the default values."

This last point simply says to me: get the TV ISF-calibrated to get the correct white balance values for one's unit, then adjust the rest by eye, until the picture looks more to one's liking.

Finally, on image retention, this TV offers two options:

"Since OLED panels are susceptible to temporary image retention, and the possibility of permanent burn-in, there are two options available on the A8F to help reduce this. We recommend leaving 'Pixel shift' 'On', as this will shift the entire screen left and right by a few screens to help reduce image retention. This is usually not noticeable unless you are using the TV as a PC Monitor, in which case you might lose the first two or 3 columns of pixels on the edge of the screen.

There is also a 'Panel refresh' option, which will try and remove any built-up image retention on the panel. Sony officially only recommends running this once per year, as they say it can reduce the life of your panel."

Hope this helps

-ack

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For Ack; Sony is about to release (May) the new refreshed version UBP-X800M2 4K Universal Blu-ray player now with support to Dolby Vision HDR and HLG. Of course it also supports HDR10. As for HDR10+ a future firmware upgrade should take care of this as the new video processor chip can accommodate it.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1546909660

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing