Gryphon Audio Pendragon

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If you could keep only one amp set-up for female vocals which amp would you keep?

And, of course, why that amp?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think the 2A3. The sweetness and airiness, along with the subtle imaging, are hard to beat.

Oddly enough, second place would go the to Pass DIY VFET (push pull Sony VFETs, class A push pull @ 20 watts@ 8 ohms). Not as airy and sweet, but they get plenty of smoothness and definition into the voices.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think the 2A3. The sweetness and airiness, along with the subtle imaging, are hard to beat.

Oddly enough, second place would go the to Pass DIY VFET (push pull Sony VFETs, class A push pull @ 20 watts@ 8 ohms). Not as airy and sweet, but they get plenty of smoothness and definition into the voices.

Thank you!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You like a sweet female vocal, Ron and Carl?

Me? I prefer a Buddy Rich drum solo or Keith Emerson Moog solo in 7/8.

Lol, btw.

Reactions: cjfrbw

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Maybe a different amp for S&M female vocals, something to make you feel like the worm you know you are.

I surmise Ron was referring to the general genre of 'typical' female vocals, which is a difficult field since female vocals cover so much of the midrange field. I also don't know if women pay as much attention to the technical details of recording and microphones, so their vocals can sometimes come across veiled, murky or buried in the mix.

I like female vocals fine, but I do listen more to music and mostly leave the Diana Krall on the shelf. However, if you are going to spend time listening to female vocals, the 2A3 amp would be a preferred weapon of choice IMHO.

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
4635ae3f-dd84-48b1-8d74-f6a424cfe96e.jpg

Serenity

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: jeff1225 and Rob181

Jones99

Aug 10, 2017
Australia
han_n our setup of the Pendragons looks quite similar from pictures and previously my favorite Q setting was "1" but now I am fixed on "3" . This has come about after concentrating on getting the exact distances of the ribbon tower and woofer tower distances from the listening position the same. Amazing the difference a few cms make....... I have also now moved the 2 towers as close as I feel can 5 mm from the feet of woofer tower to the shoulder of the Ribbon tower....still allows me to swivel the ribbon tower if I feel the need without damage . I am curious to see if you have arrived at a similar setup.Appreciate any feedback,pics or ideas if possible ....I am reluctant to move as I really am thoroughly enjoying the sound but always looking for improvements.

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
@Jones99, Q-setting much depends on the room indeed. Of course, personal preference comes into play as well. I had used laser assisted measuring to get the speakers as close as possible to the calculated position in the room as a departure point. After that first set up, I have done some moving around, both speakers as well as the listening position, and finally came to the point the speakers are standing now. (Actually not very far from the departure point). I also have the woofer towers' feet just about 5mm (at most) away from the ribbon towers, so that seems to be no coincidence. Same like you, I'm happy with what I'm hearing, so I enjoy each time I'm listening. I don't want to worry about what I could possibly have in case I spend endless hours moving around, tweaking, upgrading and some more worrying...Nah, once you have reached the point you can enjoy it......just do exactly that. O ya, don't forget that nice bottle of wine as well.......

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hmm, yes, I was expecting the question, In fact, in my previous set up (all Gryphon) I had found that when using the C1 directly feeding the Memphisto (bypassing the Pandora) I had a higher transparency, which made me want to change the Pandora pre with the CH Precision L1/X1. However at that time my dealer made me a good proposal, going for a complete CH Precision package, so trade in the Memphisto for an M1. Honestly, from day 1 after I had it up and playing, I was never really convinced that I had made the proper decision. In fact, if somebody asks me now, would you trade in a Memphisto for a M1, my answer will be: Don't.
So, not being 100% satisfied with what I had decided before, I had open ears when the info came in about the M1 upgrade to M1.1 Not long after I bit the bullet, and decided to go for mono blocks, so ordered one additional M1.1, and one upgrade package to upgrade the existing M1 to M1.1 To make a long story short, from the day I had the system running again, I can say that the differences (especially transparency and dynamics) were profound. Unexpected I would say... Scary good. So good that not all will like it. So "good" to me doesn't necessarily mean "good" to others, but believe me, you need to have heard the CH Precision line up from source to power, just to have had the experience....
So, would I trade in a Memphisto stereo for two M1.1 mono's: Definitely. Now I hear someone saying, what about two Memphisto mono's vs two M1.1 mono's: Can't answer that, most likely dynamics will be more in the same class. Transparency/detail though I believe the M1.1 has the edge.

I'm seriouly considering CH L1+X1 + Mephisto stereo for next winter.
I hope i'm making the right decision.
Cheers.

Reactions: Vienna

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This is a very interesting discussion about Preamps and Gryphon. I have heard many good things about CH L1 + X1, and I have certainly had 3 super knowledgeable veterans suggest the CH preamp with Mephisto.

Reactions: Vienna

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I use the AudioNet stern to great effect with the Mephisto. I have not had the CH preamp in my system. That would be interesting to hear.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
This is a very interesting discussion about Preamps and Gryphon. I have heard many good things about CH L1 + X1, and I have certainly had 3 super knowledgeable veterans suggest the CH preamp with Mephisto.

cmarin on this forum owns L1 mono + Mephisto Solos, must be impressive.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I use the AudioNet stern to great effect with the Mephisto. I have not had the CH preamp in my system. That would be interesting to hear.
Hang on a second!

You have 2 x Funk Audio 18.0s? I have spoken with Nathan Funk...very passionate...about his 18.2s and particularly considering 2 x 18.2s

Can you share anything about how you came to make your decision about Funk? I have no real chance to hear them and naturally am very curious as to how his work compares with the more global/international brands?

Coming back to this post...also very interested to hear how you came to your decision about the Audionet Stern preamp. the dealer who helped install the Gryphon Mephisto (as a favor to my dealer who actually delivered it and simply needed a help in lifting/installing)...is an Audionet dealer loves their equipment. Heisenberg I believe?

Would love to understand your comments about the Stern!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
cmarin on this forum owns L1 mono + Mephisto Solos, must be impressive.
Yes, I have spoken with him offline...extremely knowledge...a world-class collection of equipment, so very informative. Thanks for mentioning that.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hang on a second!

You have 2 x Funk Audio 18.0s? I have spoken with Nathan Funk...very passionate...about his 18.2s and particularly considering 2 x 18.2s

Can you share anything about how you came to make your decision about Funk? I have no real chance to hear them and naturally am very curious as to how his work compares with the more global/international brands?

Coming back to this post...also very interested to hear how you came to your decision about the Audionet Stern preamp. the dealer who helped install the Gryphon Mephisto (as a favor to my dealer who actually delivered it and simply needed a help in lifting/installing)...is an Audionet dealer loves their equipment. Heisenberg I believe?

Would love to understand your comments about the Stern!

Yes, I have two 18.0's. Nathan was very helpful and is very passionate. When you go to his webpage the picture he has there with the curly maple is my pair. They work great and do what I wanted them to. I use them for music from 40Hz and below. How did I end up with Funk? I wanted at least a 15" driver and really wanted 18's. This ruled out a bunch of brands (aka JL audio). Every post on-line about Funk is positive. Woodworking is my other hobby so I wanted something that looked nice. Nathan's veneer work is outstanding. No regrets in my choice.

Regarding the Stern. After I got my vivid speakers I went through a process of reworking my system. I started with the amplifier and one of the amps I auditioned was the audionet max (Gryphon was not available in the US at he time). After that the Stern was just coming out and seemed like a natural choice to pair with the amps. Turns out that the Stern is an extremely hard preamp to beat. It has a very open, dynamic, neutral sound.

I became interested in the Gryphon and last year my dealer brought over his colloseum. I REALLY liked how that sounded. So I ordered a Mephisto. And that is how I ended up with a Stern/Mephisto pair.

Ask your dealer to bring over a Stern and give it a listen.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I have two 18.0's. Nathan was very helpful and is very passionate. When you go to his webpage the picture he has there with the curly maple is my pair. They work great and do what I wanted them to. I use them for music from 40Hz and below. How did I end up with Funk? I wanted at least a 15" driver and really wanted 18's. This ruled out a bunch of brands (aka JL audio). Every post on-line about Funk is positive. Woodworking is my other hobby so I wanted something that looked nice. Nathan's veneer work is outstanding. No regrets in my choice.

Regarding the Stern. After I got my vivid speakers I went through a process of reworking my system. I started with the amplifier and one of the amps I auditioned was the audionet max (Gryphon was not available in the US at he time). After that the Stern was just coming out and seemed like a natural choice to pair with the amps. Turns out that the Stern is an extremely hard preamp to beat. It has a very open, dynamic, neutral sound.

I became interested in the Gryphon and last year my dealer brought over his colloseum. I REALLY liked how that sounded. So I ordered a Mephisto. And that is how I ended up with a Stern/Mephisto pair.

Ask your dealer to bring over a Stern and give it a listen.
Fantastic. I will speak with my dealer...and after the XLFs are calibrated and settled in, I will pick up again with Nathan. And somewhere in there, will inquire about Stern.

Chanc95

Jul 6, 2015
Dear All,

My journey from Poseidon moved to Pendragon finally done during last year.
Aside from the speaker model change , also I did some room treatment experiment.
Pictures of my audio room , you can see the equipment I used as of now

S__82477147.jpg S__82477147.jpg 137269454_10158035571557817_992842502958274035_o.jpg S__82477158_0.jpg 137574733_10158035571677817_6085891749028642200_o.jpg 138319918_10158035571507817_5301695593056016392_o.jpg S__82477151.jpg S__82477152.jpg S__82477150.jpg

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
off the charts, congratulations!

Reactions: hogen and jeff1225

Vienna

VIP/Donor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing