Honda S-2000.....how could i not buy it?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Cool! I noticed you weren't around on Sunday morning, so I figured where you went to :)

Congratulations, it sure is surely pretty!

cheers,
alex

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
Congratulations and please take her to the track at least once to see how glamorously she can oversteer

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations and please take her to the track at least once to see how glamorously she can oversteer

my other consideration was a Cayman GTS which clearly is more neutral in handling. however; it's not so much a livable touring vehicle with my wife comparatively.

I realize it requires more talent on the track to get the 991 to turn....but it's doable. whether i'll do enough of that to acquire those skills is questionable. it's not a priority for me. Sunday 1pm-Monday 5:30am i drove it 1200 miles from Riverside to my home near Seattle. awesome!

the smile is still on my face.

the Carrera S is not the last word in anything. but it's perfect for me....as well as a life long bucket list item.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Congratulations, you should have let me know you were looking, we have 2 on the lot right now. White ones too! One of them is a GT3 though.

I know the people well there, worked for and with several of them in days gone by. I hope you got treated well.

I bet the biggest smiles happened over Shasta and through Oregon.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations, you should have let me know you were looking, we have 2 on the lot right now. White ones too! One of them is a GT3 though.

I know the people well there, worked for an with several of them in days gone by. I hope you got treated well.

thank you.

a 991 GT3 is beyond my allocated budget, not that I would not want one. but it's attributes are overkill for my intentions at this point.

and Shasta and Southern Oregon were a roller coaster of extreme driving pleasure. the car can pretty much do anything you throw at it. power, brakes, chassis. all over the top. I was doing a steady low 80's and it did not matter what I threw at it. I know there are a number of cars that could do the same things or even better. but this is my first experience at these levels of performance. it was fun without being stressful. and by this point I had been driving for 10 hours already.

I spent a month or so watching the auto auctions around the country to get a feel for my value targets.....year, mileage, equipment, condition. and visiting T.H.E. Show in Irvine put me in the vicinity of many cars. obviously 42 years in the car biz does allow me some insight into the acquisition side of things. I'm happy that I got the right car at an attractive price. the car checked all my boxes as far as color, equipment and condition.

Walter's Porsche took great care of me and respected my being in the business. the car was a factory executive car so I have almost a complete new car warranty and they are accountable for the history of the car as far as disclosure.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

I don't know how today's 911s handle but that is a good idea if it's anything like older versions.

I got to drive a 930 turbo cabriolet wide-body slant-nose a long time ago and was cruising down a twisty canyon road, not pushing too hard but going moderately fast. I came upon traffic while going around a corner and let's just say slowing down without spinning the car was a challenge and would have been impossible if I was going much faster. They really, really want to have power applied from the apex on, and need a very skilled driver overall...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I don't know how today's 911s handle but that is a good idea if it's anything like older versions.

I got to drive a 930 turbo cabriolet wide-body slant-nose a long time ago and was cruising down a twisty canyon road, not pushing too hard but going moderately fast. I came upon traffic while going around a corner and let's just say slowing down without spinning the car was a challenge and would have been impossible if I was going much faster. They really, really want to have power applied from the apex on, and need a very skilled driver overall...

the Turbo is quite a bit heavier and harder to turn than the 991 Carrera S. so the plowing/understeer issue is worse. and the newest 991 chassis is said to do this much less than in the past, I have no experience with earlier series so I cannot personally say.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I was talking to my SA when taking my Boxster S in for a recall issue back in 2005. The SA said hands down that 90% of Turbo drivers have no idea what they are doing and that he, himself, had trouble driving one despite 30 years of Porsche service. The 991 Carrera S isn't too far off a 996 Turbo - its plenty :)

Did you get stick or PDK?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think it's really weird the guy in charge can't drive what he wants...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I was talking to my SA when taking my Boxster S in for a recall issue back in 2005. The SA said hands down that 90% of Turbo drivers have no idea what they are doing and that he, himself, had trouble driving one despite 30 years of Porsche service. The 991 Carrera S isn't too far off a 996 Turbo - its plenty :)

Did you get stick or PDK?

Keith,

I got the PDK with Sports Chrono and Sport Exhaust. I'm getting the hang of the PDK, used it some in the twisty's near Shasta and Southern Oregon. I have not yet tried the Sports Chrono in launch mode or the sport setting on the chassis. all in time.

after the sweet shifting 6 speed 'standard setting' manual transmission in the S2000 the manual in the 991 series is crude shifting by comparison. I've always been a manual trans type guy but the PDK is just too good and too ideal in this car to consider the manual. I'm a double clutch, heel and toe guy from my youth, with early Brit convertibles. if I would have got the Caymen GTS then manual trans would have been a more likely choice.

the Carrera S with PDK and the Sports Chrono is said to be 3.7-3.9 range 0-60. that is 'fast enough' potential for me and I'm unlikely ever to explore that territory.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I think it's really weird the guy in charge can't drive what he wants...

I get how that looks. obviously I've moved on now (with the Porsche) from that perspective (of wanting to only drive a Honda) now which I had a year ago about what I should drive. it's all about one's comfort zone and my position as running the company and how I saw my own actions. my perspective evolved to a point where after 36 years I have nothing more to prove. time to scratch the itch. yet I am happy with where I was at in the past.

without someone understanding the particular company culture it's hard to explain it to someone.

everyone has to work things out for themselves.

i will still need to be much more discrete with the Porsche than i was with the S-2000.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Wow Mike--Kudos on the neat Machine--wow-- I've owned the Bijorn Waldegaard 911s R model in the late 70's--Titanium Rods/wheel nuts /etc-- insanely quick and nimble--how that design has stood the test of time--wonderful Marque

Enjoy your motoring with the enthusiasm you do for your Music

Go the Boys!!

BruceD

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well that's a like nice Porsche, so I'd probably still be driving a Honda during winter and such!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Mike, hoe come you didn't go for the Black Editions?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
haha, but it's really not about the color... :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing