Hopkins' System

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I mentioned in another thread an old recording (Art Tatum live in a club, recorded on the early 1940s), explaining that "too much emphasis was placed on recording quality"... I think this led to some misunderstandings.

"Jerry Newman was a student and jazz fan in New York City. He used a disc recorder and acetate discs to informally record pianist Art Tatum playing in clubs in Harlem in 1940 and 1941."

I am always surprised by how good these "poor" recordings can sound. That's all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I was also asked in the "Natural Sound" thread, as a result of that comment, about my goals and priorities. Well, the goals articulated in that thread seem relevant, and I have had hard time seing how we could have different objectives than those:

Post in thread 'Natural Sound' https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/natural-sound.32867/post-716800

We can follow different approaches to reach those goals, and the one I have followed is described in this thread. I'll see what it leads me to ultimately.

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Check out ECDesigns' soon to be released products on their updated website:

The new SX model will soon replace my current powerDAC-S. These new models include a number of improvements (I am sure they will provide technical details soon). The SX model has an output power of 20 watts (current model is only 4 watts). Based on the information they have provided (and the performance of the current model), I am very eager to hear this!

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Check out ECDesigns' soon to be released products on their updated website:

The new SX model will soon replace my current powerDAC-S. These new models include a number of improvements (I am sure they will provide technical details soon). The SX model has an output power of 20 watts (current model is only 4 watts). Based on the information they have provided (and the performance of the current model), I am very eager to hear this!

Correction: the SX model has 16 watts per channel, not 20.

Some details have been added to their website. The improvements over the current models are numerous and deal with better converter accuracy and lower noise (THD was already below auditability...). They have also improved source immunity (which was already high), making the use of a low interference source now irrelevant?

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Someone mentioned organ music?

Not the best recording (mine and the original), but it swings!

Recorded in New York City on January 30, 1952

Paul Quinichette - tenor saxophone
Count Basie - organ
Freddie Green - guitar
Walter Page - bass
Gus Johnson - drums

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Thanks for sharing your experience. This approach is unique and interesting

Reactions: hopkins

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Thanks for sharing your experience. This approach is unique and interesting

I take no credit, I did not invent anything here, I am simply using others' ideas and products.

One aspect that interests me, is to see how the "electronics" (source/amp) contribute to the sound quality, versus the speakers. It may be a stupid question, as both obviously contribute to the end result. But from a practical standpoint, I don't have the space, time, budget to invest in the type of speakers I would ideally like to use, or even spend the time to explore interesting speaker alternatives. So I have to work with constraints, and try to optimize what I can to achieve reasonable results.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2ndLiner

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
This morning I was reading on a French forum a thread about a visit to listen to this guy's custom build system:

1-1.jpg

From the comments, it seems like it sounds fabulous. It took years to build and fine-tune. Kudos for the commitment and expertise.

In French: http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-31763.html

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Here is an interesting system that got rave reviews at the Munich show this year:

The speakers used are Pawel Acoustics PA-1, which can be found second-hand for around 1000€!

They were matched with Grimm Audio's subwoofers (19.000€), and fed by Grimm's MU2 streamer/dac/preamp (18.000€) and a prototype amp.

Food for thought.

There are so many ways of achieving pleasing sound.

Last edited:

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Some changes to the speakers's wiring. This sounds better to my ears :) but what do I know?

Listening via iPad speakers I hear great tone, texture, and detail! I imagine it sounds absolutely lovely in your room. Great job!

Reactions: hopkins

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Listening via iPad speakers I hear great tone, texture, and detail! I imagine it sounds absolutely lovely in your room. Great job!

Thanks. You should listen with headphones - the defects will also be more apparent! But indeed I love the sound. What may be hard to convey through a video is the level of detail offered, which results in a sense of "intimacy" with the recording.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing