Hopkins' System

I was reading today recent updates on Arthur Salvatore's website and came across these comments in reference to his newest speakers (Sadurni Acoustics):

"The Staccato Max's sense of immediacy, which is unparalleled in my experience (regardless of the speaker design), has many favorable sonic advantages; Well recorded records sound more like a good direct-to-disc, or even a Master Tape on occasion. The improvements with digital sources are similar, now possessing a "continual presence" and natural flow I've never observed before, and the closest I've heard to the best analogue. Further, with both analogue and digital sources, was the experience of actually being (temporarily) "fooled" into believing real musicians were literally present in my listening room! This most desirable of experiences, which audiophiles usually only dream of, now occurs at a greater frequency, and with a wider range of software, than I've ever experienced before. While it's still a relatively unusual event, it was almost non-existent prior to arrival of the Staccato Max."

He continues (my bold):

"Beginning in April 2024, I have purchased more musical software (mainly Classical Music CD box sets), by far, than during any other period in my entire life. This is not a simple coincidence. Much more important, I now listen to music with a degree and level of involuntary intensity I've never before experienced. Expressed in a more direct manner, I am more "moved" by the music, of all genres, than ever before. And, to complete this thought, while also using a common audiophile expression which I usually avoid; Because of the Staccato Max, I am now more "involved" with the music."

This reminds me of my experience with the Altec 755A speaker, with which the difference between analog and digital seems to be much smaller than on any other speaker I have tried.

Though obviously limited in its frequency response, the 755A provides a sense of presence that is quite unique, and has to be heard (in person) to be believed.

Why is it that when this sonic quality is achieved, the differences between formats become less apparent? I have no answer to that question, and I feel it is an important question to answer.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu