Hopkins' System

8, 32, 41 and 42 are pretty good.

I'll agree with those two, which are:
8=Rockport Technologies Lyra speakers (recorded with DPA-4011 microphones)
32=Gobel Divin Marquis speakers (does not mention the mics, but same channel as 8)

Less impressed by those, but still pretty good:
41=Kenrick Sound JBL 4320 (no mention of the mics, could be a phone recording) - could use a sub as someone mentioned in the comments
42=B&W Nautilus 805 - bookshelf speaker (iphone recording) - suprising amount of bass, good sound for what seems to be a pretty naked room

I like 29 as well - vinyl playback (not sure that makes a difference). The song stats around 3:27. Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A speakers. Zoom H6 recorder.

Others I liked/found amusing:
31 seems to have been recorded in a car.Its not that bad!
37 is pretty good for small desktop speakers (Elac BS312.2)

The dominant factor in all these videos are: the speakers, the room, the microphone/recorder. With the same speakers/room/mics, I doubt you could really hear differences in the other equipment used.

Last edited:
Note: the manufacturer of 42 sells their speakers in kits. They are affordable. For example, the wooden horns demoed in the video sell for around 300€ in Japan:

Here is an interesting page from their website detailing how they developed some of their speakers:

The speaker they describe is a 2-way bookshelf with a very simple first order crossover.

Here is the youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@otokoubouz

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu