Hopkins' System

Speaking of the Philadelphia science museum, they have here a fun interactive experiment:

Here's what they describe as "the science behind it":

In this activity, you hear a sentence that has been distorted by a computer. The sounds are muddled and squeaky, and it is tricky to understand what is being said. Then you hear the same sentence without distortion, for instance: “There’s coffee on that seat.” A woman’s voice speaks clearly, making it easy to understand.

Surprisingly, when you go back and listen to the distorted sentence again, you can understand the muddled words. Your brain is now using existing knowledge – from the clear sentence that you heard – to interpret that information. Once your brain knows what is being said, it applies the information and makes sense of the distorted sound.

Sometimes, your brain takes in sensory data layer by layer to piece together what’s happening. This is called “bottom-up processing.” More often - as is happening in this activity - your brain operates in a “top-down” manner, making predictions based on previous knowledge. This saves time, but because each person’s prior experiences are unique, top-down processing can cause people to perceive the same information in different ways.

Does it apply to how we experience music on our audio systems? Why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor
Speaking of the Philadelphia science museum, they have here a fun interactive experiment:

Here's what they describe as "the science behind it":

In this activity, you hear a sentence that has been distorted by a computer. The sounds are muddled and squeaky, and it is tricky to understand what is being said. Then you hear the same sentence without distortion, for instance: “There’s coffee on that seat.” A woman’s voice speaks clearly, making it easy to understand.

Surprisingly, when you go back and listen to the distorted sentence again, you can understand the muddled words. Your brain is now using existing knowledge – from the clear sentence that you heard – to interpret that information. Once your brain knows what is being said, it applies the information and makes sense of the distorted sound.

Sometimes, your brain takes in sensory data layer by layer to piece together what’s happening. This is called “bottom-up processing.” More often - as is happening in this activity - your brain operates in a “top-down” manner, making predictions based on previous knowledge. This saves time, but because each person’s prior experiences are unique, top-down processing can cause people to perceive the same information in different ways.

Does it apply to how we experience music on our audio systems? Why not?
Yes of course it applies

Reactions: hopkins
Testing the Pixy by Sota phono stage:

PXL_20240822_234654374.jpg

I've got it plugged in to my M2Tech Joplin but with the EQ (RIAA) and gain deactivated, so the M2Tech is just working as an ADC and outputting a digital optical signal to the powerDAC-SX. I'm listening with a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX, for which I got a cable made to plug in to the speaker outputs of the SX. As a side note, these Sennheisers are great and really open up with balanced cables connected to the SX...

The sound quality of the Pixy seems really good, but I need more time to compare with the phono functions of the Joplin.

There is lots of detail, and it does seem "quiet", as advertised.

I'm using it with an MM cartridge.

Once again, the quality of some vinyl are coming through loud and clear even with a digital step in the process.

Digital albums (i.e. Qobuz streaming or my own files) can sound really good as well, especially modern recordings (but not only).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu