Hopkins' System

I will be writing a review of the powerDAC-SX, to summarize my "experience", and have asked ECDesigns for pictures of the internals, which they provided (it avoids having to open it up myself):

SX Internal.jpeg

This version actually has an XLR output for headphones (front right).

From rear to front:

- Left and right programmable linear power supplies for the left and right Power D/A converters.
- Left and right black transformers for phantom power supplies for the left and right power D/A converters.
- Center transformer = Linear DAPI power supply.
- Center front board = DAPI board (Digital Audio Parallel Interface)
- Front center = Display keys and IR module
- Left and right front = Power D/A converters for left and right channel
- Power D/A converter board power resistors are cooled through heat pads to the chassis.

The DAPI is the "module" that buffers the incoming Toslink signal, determines the incoming sampling rate (44kHz, 48kHz...), and outputs the data to parallel low-bandwidth signals feeding the resistor array. The clock on the DAPI board operates separately from the data signal (the incoming clock signal is not recovered) to time the data send to the resistors (in my own words). Here is the summary that they write on their website:

Incoming Toslink signal (low bandwidth) is sampled by a discrete custom DAPI (Digital Audio Parallel Interface) receiver. It scrapes only data from Toslink and -does not recover any clocks- for sample timing.

Audio data is first stored in a buffer memory. Next it is output in -parallel- (up to 48 separate I/O lines). The single timing sample signal is divided down from a completely independent, local low jitter masterclock.

So we have parallel data (up to 48 I/O lines) and a latch pulse signal that is divided down from the masterclock and has minimal energy (minimal energy = minimal power = minimal unwanted crosstalk).

We do not generate nor use any conventional I2S or similar serial interface signals in our PowerDACs, so related crosstalk issues are completely eliminated.

There is no "amplification"! The output level is only determined by the programmable power supply (and some bit-shifting). I'll add some explanations about that.

Last edited:
My love affair with the powerDAC-SX & Teufel speaker combo continues. I can't explain it!

The playback chain here is Qobuz, streamed through the LMS plugin (LMS is installed on my non-optimized desktop computer). The player is a RaspberryPi 3 model B, with USB output to the ECDesigns UT96 Toslink converter (max 96khz). The RaspberryPi is connected to the network with a basic ethernet RJ45 cable plugged in directly to my ISP's router. No audiophile network switches and reclockers/decrappifiers required :)

Sounds very nice to my ears. Engaging, very easy and relaxing to listen to.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing