Horn based system from southern coast of Turkey

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I saw that! That's great. How did that come about?
They contacted me on facebook. I think they have seen the system over a horn group over there and asked to do it and I said ok. Not a lot to tell about it :)

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
They contacted me on facebook. I think they have seen the system over a horn group over there and asked to do it and I said ok. Not a lot to tell about it :)
I love your System and room.
One of my absolute favorites :cool:
But unfortunately in that "Report" are quite a few misspellings and typos.
That's a pity and doesn't do justice to your wonderful System :rolleyes:

Reactions: kodomo

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
The cabinets have sliding doors with the absorption material on them, so if I change the position of the speakers or my listening spot they can be adjusted accordingly.

The cabinets still have some space @tima but, behind those sliding doors are also filled! Two of them are filled with records and two of them are filled with cd's which I can rip in the coming years and have more places for more records :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I love the system and room too - congrats Sami.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
SRA Scuttle mk3.1 has arrived!

Reactions: tima

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
here are some photos :)

Attachments

• IMG_8224.JPG
    IMG_8224.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 95
  • srarack.JPG
    srarack.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 92
  • hmv.JPG
    hmv.JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 89

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Nice Sami! Got the Olof playing too.

Didn’t realise you had the Stabi M TT too - always liked that deck.

Best.

Reactions: bonzo75

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Yes, love the Stabi M, 4 point combo. I am very happy with my system and now I am only looking forward to getting an Emia balanced silver autoformer remote.

I always love to try and listen to different cartridges and can not stop myself from getting them so a more versatile phono pre is under my radar too.

The digital stays as is, it is compact and does everything I need in a more than agreeable sound quality. We can play blurays, dvds, sacds, movies and all kind of digital audio files from external hard disks as well as watch netflix, youtube without any computers and from a single remote. Rather than spending a lot more on digital to cover all these and sound a little better I would get more records :)

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congrats on the new rack! The although the name is silly, scuttle: sink (one's own ship) deliberately by holing it or opening its seacocks to let water in), the SRA Scuttle is a very beautiful and sturdy rack.

And....it looks great!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Another bad phone photo taken at night but it is new and with new icON preamp

Attachments

• 2FD72043-0331-403C-971E-760F94154181.jpeg
    2FD72043-0331-403C-971E-760F94154181.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 55

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Is it optical illusion that your speakers are toe-in quite a lot. The presentation cannot be so natural. You need to toe out more. :p

Of course Iam joking and teasing PeterA.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
@andromedaaudio
Sorry but i m highly skeptical of your graph to say it gently , because its not possible to have a flat line in room response measurement in the 20 hz - 400 hz region with a passive X crossover .

No manufacturer can achieve that not Magico not YG not Wilson not Dynaudio .......

Brg HJ

Thank you for your skepticism. You can see in this thread this was not my initial spl response and if you like to see I have worse measurements further years back. Nothing happens in one day, it took me years, different bass solutions, tearing down walls, different listening positions to get these right.

First of all, 400hz is too high for your claim. If you say below 100hz, 160hz or even 200hz I would understand where you are coming from as that will fall below (most probably) to the rooms schroeder frequency that they are taking the measurements from and room modes will be dominant in their tests. However, not all the rooms are the same. If one has a correctly treated the room, gets the right position for the speakers and the measurement (listener location) it is possible to achieve a flatter response. I also attach my rt60 graph for you, so you can see that for the correlation.

For your information, servo based open baffle bass system actually can provide quite linear response if positioned well enough. Further than that, having actual bass traps that have been built upon measurements and corrected again and again is also helpful. My whole front wall except for the living moss garden is a bass trap covered by binary diffusors. It also turns corners and continues to side walls for 1.6 meters. This wall has depth and varying density of mineral wool. It not only covers tri-corners, and complete front wall top and bottom boundaries that meet the floor and the ceiling but continues on the sides for those 1.6 meters as well. To continue on bass trapping, you can see the side wall have 6 primacoustic australis bass traps (more of a help between 80-160hz) on side wall and ceiling boundaries. Further than that, to keep the decay time linear, you can see there are twelve 60x60 broadband absorbers on the sides. Then there are the diffusers on in between the record shelves and the primacoustic bass traps which are not just diffusers but also absorbers. So there is quite a lot of varying absorption built on firstly on room size, my target decay time and then corrected through measurements.

Attachments

• rt60response.jpg
    rt60response.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Is it optical illusion that your speakers are toe-in quite a lot. The presentation cannot be so natural. You need to toe out more. :p

Yes, although there is toe in, this looks a little weird. I will take a better photo today and share it here :)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I think this is a slightly better and less lens distorted photo

Attachments

• 7517618C-C361-4875-BFF3-0CF33C527F33.jpeg
    7517618C-C361-4875-BFF3-0CF33C527F33.jpeg
    664.1 KB · Views: 50

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Tango my friend, you know the only way to tell whether or not a system sounds natural is to first ask if it has Ching Cheng power cords and then to record it on an iPhone and share it on WBF.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice system / room
Well if you have achieved that kudos to you , the final proof would be in listening off course .
Usually a slighty elevated bass + 3 d b compared to the mid / highs will sound the most natural in my expirience .

Brg HJ

Reactions: kodomo

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Nice system / room
Well if you have achieved that kudos to you , the final proof would be in listening off course .
Usually a slighty elevated bass + 3 d b compared to the mid / highs will sound the most natural in my expirience .

Brg HJ
This is what I have found out too. I now enjoy something in between a harman and a toole target response. The flat response is for anechoic rooms, if you have a flat response at anechoic room, in a good listening room you will have a (toole target response) nice gradual boost at bass. You just need to be careful how long it hangs and how it interacts with the room. Decay is as important as spl.

Just to clear things, my system is passive but very adjustable. I have the bass active, so up to 120hz I can boost bass on their own amps and correct with their on board peq. My midbass (100hz-500hz) is fixed but my midrange can be attenuated with fostex r100t autoformers, upper midrange and tweeters can be attenuated through changing r1 and r2 on my crossovers and they are on the backside on binding posts, so it is very easy to reach and change. This means I can adjust my levels in 4 bands just the midbass fixed.

For further info, my crossovers are impedance flattened, they are done in a way to correct the response of my compression drivers and midbass woofer in their respective horns. The crossovers has been done by two doctors of electronics who also build horns and consult big names. I attach a photo of on sides crossovers here for your info (and for people who like vacuum bypass caps). The top right one was for TAD's when I had them as a bass solution in BR boxes, so those are not in service anymore.

Attachments

• crossovers.png
    crossovers.png
    856.9 KB · Views: 23

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Tango my friend, you know the only way to tell whether or not a system sounds natural is to first ask if it has Ching Cheng power cords and then to record it on an iPhone and share it on WBF.
Here is an iphone video for @Tango I know he likes this piano record :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing