Horn based system from southern coast of Turkey

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
In normal technical terms your system is both , your mid / highs are passive with a active woofer system

I ll have a listen to your system
Yes, my system is passive 4 ways (1st order with parallel impedance correction) from 110hz to over 20khz and active from 110hz to 20hz below for bass channel.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Tango my friend, you know the only way to tell whether or not a system sounds natural is to first ask if it has Ching Cheng power cords and then to record it on an iPhone and share it on WBF.
But only obsolete CC power cords, no current models.

-----

Just found this system/thread, btw. It's just lovely. Always happy to learn more about wonderful custom builds like yours.

Do you have any more explicit discussions of your binary diffusor build posted somewhere? Thanks for all the information and inspiration.

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Here is an iphone video for @Tango I know he likes this piano record :)

Hello\ Merhaba Okay,

Congratulations on your hard and deservedly earned achievements. You are a true polymath of so many aspects of this fascinating hobby \ art form, from system-building to room acoustics and recording, all at the highest possible level!

A suggestion: you could \ should have played the rendition of the same piano piece by the exceptionally talented and prolific Turkish composer and pianist FAZIL SAY or ( better still perhaps ) his re-arrangement for piano of Veysel's ""Kara Toprak" ( Black Earth ). An opportunity to expand the musical horizons of the WBF fraternity.

Fazil Say's extensive discography ( symphonic, chamber music and solo piano ) more than deserve to be known by everybody let alone the audiophiles on this forum. Whist using western classical forms and techniques, the intricate and subtle infusion of Turkish melodic\ modal inflections and rhythmic elements renders his music uniquely beautiful and mesmerising, adding an often much-needed fresh breeze to the existing, stereotypical classical genre.

Be well \ Varol, sa?ol, Kostas.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and rando

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Congrats on the new rack! The although the name is silly, scuttle: sink (one's own ship) deliberately by holing it or opening its seacocks to let water in), the SRA Scuttle is a very beautiful and sturdy rack.

From my v1 review...
Now, along comes a new rack with a name derived from the nautical notion of breaking up or breaking apart a decommissioned or outdated vessel. The Scuttle aims to break apart vibration and energy anomalies.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

The sound is very good with exceptional dynamics. The performance is truly woeful - totally murdered that Beethoven Sonata.

Best as always.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
From my v1 review...
Now, along comes a new rack with a name derived from the nautical notion of breaking up or breaking apart a decommissioned or outdated vessel. The Scuttle aims to break apart vibration and energy anomalies.

Yet in shape it resembles a coal scuttle and distributes energy. Whilst removing unwanted soot from the immediate environment. Also there is this...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
From my v1 review...
Yes it's a hilariously stupid name for a product that is supposed to hold your precious gear. Next year they will launch their next rack: Titanic.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

I do like this piano record. The second side is good music and sounds great as well. There is a lot to hear from this recording if the system allows.

Reactions: PeterA and bonzo75

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I do like this piano record. The second side is good music and sounds great as well. There is a lot to hear from this recording if the system allows.

Hi Tang,

The music is stunning no question - considered one of the best piano sonatas (if not the best) by many. Just this pianist is straight out of Vulgaria with their horrid thumping and beating of the poor keys into submission. Good recording though.

Best wishes.

Reactions: christoph and tima

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Thanks everyone, very encouraging to hear your good words. Everybody is welcome to a listen to music if ever you come down to sunny Antalya. I do not change my power cables, interconnects, speakers, turntable and arm anymore, I think I have found what I was looking for. I still look into tubes, cartridges with matching phono pres to further my enjoyment but my main area of spending is on vinyl records. Fine tuning the whole system took me further than getting supposedly better equipment. Changing the coupling caps with my amps yielded in a sound so fitting that I did not need to get the wavacs I was eyeing. It would have taken me some more time to get the balance with the wavacs. I instead, went to buy records and listen and enjoy them with that money and more importantly with that time. I do not make big changes. I make small changes, then try and tune everything. After finishing the room and having all the correct acoustic treatments, my pleasure has been doubled to say the least :) Now to answer your questions;

@folsom
The front wall diffuser that extends to sides is a binary diffuser on its front and there are 35cm's (14 inches) of absorbing mineral wool with varying densities behind them. The central living moss garden is good for diffusion and absorption too. The front wall has much less detrimental effect from the rooms I have been to. I am happy it worked as I spent about three days at the cnc workshop :)

@jeffrey_t
The bass drivers are TAD 1601b's for the br boxes.
I have modified supravox 285-2000's in the mid-bass. They do not have dust cap, and have been specifically modified for mid-bass horns by hornfabrik Germany. It is reactance annulled with its back chamber and the throat of the cf110hz tractrix mid bass horn so it can play down to 110hz.
The midrange is a Radian 850. I tried BMS, TAD, Atlas and actually decided 850's were the most fitting and best sounding ones with the whole system.
The upper midrange is Radian 475be, it is with beryllium diaphragm. I could have had TAD 2001, they were good but when I chose the Radians for the midrange I went ahead and got the 475be's.
The highs are taken care by Fostex t500amkII's.
The most important with a multi-way horn system is how it all works together with the crossover. You can not just chuck in high quality drivers, matching horns and expect good results. I had to experiment a lot for driver/horn combos and for the crossover I had to work with two wonderful German engineers who are working for big German horn companies. I went further than these big companies as I could spend more on the actual speakers than other costs and designed a much less compromised crossover with bypass vacuum caps and all.

@steve williams
The room is like a fat L shape. It is 11 metres (36ft) by 6 metres (20ft) where the speakers are, and at the back right after the tapped horn it extends from 6 metres to 10 metres (32ft). The ceiling is about 10ft high.

@jackelsson
It took me about 2 years from design to end of fine tuning of the speakers. However I have built a few different horns before and completely modified a klipschorn for learning. I looked at all the successful commercial examples and tried to find their shortages so as not to repeat them with my own system. I think I succeeded in a few of them. I am very happy with it now :)

@tango
Both me and my wife are generally sensitive to messy rooms and we feel better, less worked up in tidy rooms. I love your system by the way and remember it being tidy with all those source components :)
Which coupling caps did you use on your amps?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Which coupling caps did you use on your amps?
They are duelund copper cast. I have also changed the resistors to audio note tantalum.

Attachments

• 064714A1-CE51-4334-9E7E-938B5D7C3BA0.jpeg
    064714A1-CE51-4334-9E7E-938B5D7C3BA0.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 42

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
They are duelund copper cast. I have also changed the resistors to audio note tantalum.
I love the Duelund CASTs. I've been using the tinned copper version and they have outperformed every other capacitor I've tried, both in low voltage speaker applications and high voltage coupling caps in amplifiers and DACs. A wonderful product.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang,

The music is stunning no question - considered one of the best piano sonatas (if not the best) by many. Just this pianist is straight out of Vulgaria with their horrid thumping and beating of the poor keys into submission. Good recording though.

Best wishes.
She pretty much copied how Edwin Fischer played in the 50's. Horrid Fischer beating poor keys. :rolleyes:

F9DD82C8-6F53-4415-A083-EB6E2EC7B1E8.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I am now moving to a new house. I started working on my new listening room, here is a preview. The ones on the ceiling are 24 of artnovion andrea absorbers. The front wall diffuser is 2m by 2m and it is quite a feat. It is effective from about 450hz to 6880hz. The ones on the door behind my back are artnovion siena wall bass traps.

I will add 18 diffusors on ceiling next. Then the absorbers with diffuser fronts to right and left first and second reflection points. All four corners of the room will also have corner bass traps. There are some more but I will share photos and update as I continue building it.

Attachments

• IMG_4778.jpg
    IMG_4778.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4787.jpg
    IMG_4787.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 49

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I am now moving to a new house. I started working on my new listening room, here is a preview. The ones on the ceiling are 24 of artnovion andrea absorbers. The front wall diffuser is 2m by 2m and it is quite a feat. It is effective from about 450hz to 6880hz. The ones on the door behind my back are artnovion siena wall bass traps.

I will add 18 diffusors on ceiling next. Then the absorbers with diffuser fronts to right and left first and second reflection points. All four corners of the room will also have corner bass traps. There are some more but I will share photos and update as I continue building it.
What size is your new listening room Kodomo ?

Reactions: christoph

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
What size is your new listening room Kodomo ?
Roughly 6meters by 8meters for the listening room, there is an adjacent studio and an entree. My prior room was larger but it was also the living room of the house.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

VERY interesting!
Please keep it coming :cool:
PS: But I have to say, I absolutely loved your former room :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing