How Do Horn Speakers Get Their Gorgeous Life-like Tonality?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice to know you are now an expert in Lamm and Wilson Audio XLFs ... ;)
Or did you forget the smile?

Well, after listening to X2S2 with Lamm, then with the top Viva model followed by a CH stack in the same room, Dagostino Momentums, and the XLF with Spectral 400s (with Spectral pre) and VTL 7.5 mk3 with the S400 (or is it 450) in the same room, given that patterns repeat...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Quick compares are done by you Boston guys. Did you read what I said? This extends to rooms where speakers have been set up for ages. Apart from comparing in same rooms. You should read properly and not misquote to your interpretation.

Fair enough. I was in particular referring to an above comparison where you could not hear spatial info from one speaker compared to the other in the same room. My bad if I misread.

But given that you are still with Schiit digital, I don't expect you to appreciate changes in recordings

Haha, you have no clue. If you ever hear my system -- you are invited -- you may be shocked how much it runs counter to your prejudices.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tang, at your place, I tried different recordings through the same speaker with different sources. Similarly, I have heard them in the same place with the same source, but changing the speakers this time from 65k Lansche to Devore orangutans. Nothing else changed. Every recording on the Lansche has the same stage, depth, etc. Only thing that differs is a compressed pressing sounds well, compressed, and a good pressing sounds more open. Same with a CH precision stack and Alexandria X2S2. Same like Lansche. LSO, CSO, BSO sound the same irrespective of their concert hall and the year of performance.(...)

You are extrapolating too much from your experience with a few systems with also very few recordings. IMHO you are mostly judging system matching, and extremely focusing on some micro details in detriment of others. The level of differences you refer involve a lot of training - you are becoming the Sean Olive of the 60's orchestras - we must congratulate you on this, but IMHO your comments are becoming too personnel to be of general use to valuate speakers to most audiophiles.

Telling that every recording played in the Alexandria X2S2 has the same stage, depth, etc. only tells us that the person who set the system did a very poor job. I have owned it for some time, but fortunately it is a speaker that is well known in the audiophile community, who has experience on it. It is usually considered an example of how large speakers can be chameleon like, having a 3D soundstage with a size that adapts to what is encoded in the recording.

IMHO if we want to compare speaker type we must focus on the best we have listened with each type, not look for the poor experience with one of them to highlight our favored.

BTW, can I ask why Rockport and Ghia, deservedly very praised speakers in the forum, never get your attention? Are they exceptions to the compression rule or are they just "etc" ? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tima and DaveC

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Quick compares are done by you Boston guys. Did you read what I said? This extends to rooms where speakers have been set up for ages. Apart from comparing in same rooms. You should read properly and not misquote to your interpretation. But given that you are still with Schiit digital, I don't expect you to appreciate changes in recordings

Well, I don't know what you mean by "quick". I recently did some A/B/A comparisons between two preamps, but that was easy with the same music and a remote control switching back and forth between inputs and plugging cables. Quick here meant over a few hours of listening and switch. For things like cartridges I take much more time and do very careful set up between switches as I have only one arm. Amp and cable comparisons are also done more deliberately and over time.

Comparing speakers is a much more involved task, which involves many factors including rooms, pairing amps, and set up. I've never been able to do that quickly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, after listening to X2S2 with Lamm, then with the top Viva model followed by a CH stack in the same room, Dagostino Momentums, and the XLF with Spectral 400s (with Spectral pre) and VTL 7.5 mk3 with the S400 (or is it 450) in the same room, given that patterns repeat...

Do you expect us to take this experience as meaningful and making you a Lamm /XLF expert? o_O

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Telling that every recording played in the Alexandria X2S2 has the same stage, depth, etc. only tells us that the person who set the system did a very poor job. I have owned it for some time, but fortunately it is a speaker that is well known in the audiophile community, who has experience on it. It is usually considered an example of how large speakers can be chameleon like, having a 3D soundstage with a size that adapts to what is encoded in the recording.

I just heard Rockitman's X2S2 and his system sounded much different than it did when I first heard it five years ago. Before, yes, recordings did sound pretty similar, especially in terms of spatial presentation. But last weekend, the system was radically different. One of things that had changed is in fact the speaker set up and listening seat position. Set up seems to be very important with these speakers.

I now heard huge differences between the spatial information of different recordings. The system seemed to be much more transparent to the recording. I was actually quite surprised by how much the system had changed in sound, and of what those large Wilsons are capable. Truly astonishing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
QUOTE="bonzo75, post: 540799, member: 5331"]
But given that you are still with Schiit digital, I don't expect you to appreciate changes in recordings[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but such disdainful comment only shows you do not have experience enough with digital. But yes, sometimes optimizing a system just using analog creates a poor system for digital.

Reactions: Lagonda

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Guys,

Just another data point fwiw (please accept there are some caveats) - the 2 most widely preferred rooms year after year after year at Munich high end show based on numerous forum(s) feedback are:

> Western electric / Silbatone
> Living Voice

What we have in common here is low powered SET/horn combination.

I find this interesting because they are achieving this consistently rather than a one off.

Fwiw - when I attended last, I also agreed with this assertion. Why? I found the musical presentation the most natural and authentic here.

Best.

Reactions: MPS

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you expect us to take this experience as meaningful and making you a Lamm /XLF expert? o_O

If your definition of an XLF expert is one who realizes it requires more power...I guess we will wait to see which amps you settle down with. Btw, if you do insist on settling down with Lamms for XLFs, do try the Soulution preamp (apologies to David for making him throw up). It will give the downstream Lamm and the rest of the system much more drive, dynamics, separation, stage, as if some power has been added. I use the word "try" because I have not tried this combo myself, but have seen the use of the pre in such a context to improve those attributes where the downstream amp lacked power to drive the speakers.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Guys,

Just another data point fwiw (please accept there are some caveats) - the 2 most widely preferred rooms year after year after year at Munich high end show based on numerous forum(s) feedback are:

> Western electric / Silbatone
> Living Voice

What we have in common here is low powered SET/horn combination.

I find this interesting because they are achieving this consistently rather than a one off.

Fwiw - when I attended last, I also agreed with this assertion. Why? I found the musical presentation the most natural and authentic here.

Best.
Isn't that interesting, I happen to know of at least two guys who went to Munich and stated that the absolute worst sounding rooms at the show were a) the room with the WE/Silbatone..and b) the Living Voice room.
One person told me that the WE room was so utterly veiled, slow, bland of tone color and basically with zero imaging, that he was super puzzled how anybody could listen to such dreck!! Shows how different folks have different listening priorities. ( different strokes for different folks)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You are extrapolating too much from your experience with a few systems with also very few recordings. IMHO you are mostly judging system matching, and extremely focusing on some micro details in detriment of others. The level of differences you refer involve a lot of training - you are becoming the Sean Olive of the 60's orchestras - we must congratulate you on this, but IMHO your comments are becoming too personnel to be of general use to valuate speakers to most audiophiles.

IMHO if we want to compare speaker type we must focus on the best we have listened with each type, not look for the poor experience with one of them to highlight our favored.

BTW, can I ask why Rockport and Ghia, deservedly very praised speakers in the forum, never get your attention? Are they exceptions to the compression rule or are they just "etc" ? :)

I don't deny that the experience I referred to with 60s recordings is very specific and not relevant to many who haven't gone there, and might not, though I think they should (but hope not, to keep LP costs down). That said, previously when I auditioned without this perspective, I still ended up choosing horns for the reasons quoted in my first post on this thread - better tone, flow, continuity, dynamics, dynamic range, overall musicality, naturalness. Finding some of these recordings gave added perspective, and also helped some of those attributes stand out more.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Regarding Rockport, I don't have much idea. I heard the Avior in three different systems before, and did not like them. Never heard the Arrakis. Heard their other D'appolito MTM which was discontinued and much cheaper, and really liked it then among cones, with digital. Never tried with analog. It was the Grand Mira II (completely different from Mira II and Grand Mira). It had sideways and front firing woofers. One of the recent cones I like with digital is the B&W 802 D3, though not as much as horns. They have really made it much better. I have never heard it with analog though, will do so at some stage. The Zellaton, Stenheim, YG, are all excellent but not horns for me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
QUOTE="bonzo75, post: 540799, member: 5331"]

But yes, sometimes optimizing a system just using analog creates a poor system for digital.

Yes both have different gain requirements. I would expect a high probability of having different preamps at a minimum for the digital chain and the analog chain.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Isn't that interesting, I happen to know of at least two guys who went to Munich and stated that the absolute worst sounding rooms at the show were a) the room with the WE/Silbatone..and b) the Living Voice room.
One person told me that the WE room was so utterly veiled, slow, bland of tone color and basically had zero imaging, that he was super puzzled how anybody could listen to such dreck!! Shows how different folks have different listening priorities. ( different strokes for different folks)

Hey
One person told me that the WE room was so utterly veiled, slow, bland of tone color and basically with zero imaging, that he was super puzzled how anybody could listen to such dreck!! Shows how different folks have different listening priorities. ( different strokes for different folks)

Hi Davey,

Lol I think you stumbled upon the 2 anomalies. In all sincerity the consensus across many forums has always been in favour of these 2 rooms consistently. I think they did both have 1 “off” year though on consensus.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If your definition of an XLF expert is one who realizes it requires more power...I guess we will wait to see which amps you settle down with. Btw, if you do insist on settling down with Lamms for XLFs, do try the Soulution preamp (apologies to David for making him throw up). It will give the downstream Lamm and the rest of the system much more drive, dynamics, separation, stage, as if some power has been added. I use the word "try" because I have not tried this combo myself, but have seen the use of the pre in such a context to improve those attributes where the downstream amp lacked power to drive the speakers.

The ML3 does not lack power to drive the XLF's in my system - the sound characteristics I am listening show at less than 2W - all my listening is power calibrated. I will address it soon in my thread. And sorry, no for me the preamplifeir for the ML3 is the LL1. I have tried a few others and did not like the matching, I do not expect the Soulution to be miraculous.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sometimes, I question whether this forum should be renamed...: "The horn lovers forum" :rolleyes:

Are there any members out there that aren't as enamored of these designs as I am??? :confused:

Hi Davey,

I think there are only about three people from Europe and one people from America who like to write favorably about horns while most people like cones in this forum. It is a healthy international forum here imo.

Anybody hear the new Wilson Wamm's...I have a very suspicious feeling that if they did...it would be called 'The Wamm lovers forum'o_O

Whenever WAMM or Vox Olympian is mentioned, we seem to automatically assume they sound heavenly given people who own them must have spent tremendous resource, time and efforts to set them up right. Nonetheless a few of us in this forum know for sure this isnt always so.

Sincerely,
Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes both have different gain requirements. I would expect a high probability of having different preamps at a minimum for the digital chain and the analog chain.

I am not addressing gain. Digital recording is intrinsically different from analog.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This is when tweaks are super.

Tang :)

Sorry I can't understand your comment. Can you explain what you mean more clearly? Thanks.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sorry I can't understand your comment. Can you explain what you mean more clearly? Thanks.
I meant just that. Tweaks are needed to get top sound from digital.

Am I shifting the wind here.

Tang :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing