How do you clean your stylus?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Well, here's a picture of my two year old Kiseki Purpleheart cantilever and stylus. I have used Onzow - and nothing else - to keep it "clean". I have used Onzow before and after each record consistently.

Not a good showing. I've just now tried ME dips to see if the gunk build up around the base of the stylus would come off, but no dice. It looks like I'm going to need to get some cleaning solution and a brush, as well as then find a better consistent cleaning method.

Interestingly, in my other system, my Transfiguration Proteus looks squeaky clean. It seems to have some cantilever discoloration down towards the stylus, but doesn't have the gunk build up.

The proof is in the "pudding".

? https://www.amazon.ca/EnTeck-Illumi...ocphy=9001612&hvtargid=pla-392666317888&psc=1

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What are people using to get a close up view of their stylus.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well, here's a picture of my two year old Kiseki Purpleheart cantilever and stylus. I have used Onzow - and nothing else - to keep it "clean". I have used Onzow before and after each record consistently.

Not a good showing. I've just now tried ME dips to see if the gunk build up around the base of the stylus would come off, but no dice. It looks like I'm going to need to get some cleaning solution and a brush, as well as then find a better consistent cleaning method.

Interestingly, in my other system, my Transfiguration Proteus looks squeaky clean. It seems to have some cantilever discoloration down towards the stylus, but doesn't have the gunk build up.

Hard to say, but that stylus looks like it may be damaged?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I don't think so. It sounds fine. I also just took the picture to The Analog Room (local vinyl guru who used to write for TAS owns) and he said don't worry, it's just glue. The stylus itself will look cleaner once it's dipped in st-50.

ALSO : he said throw away the Onzow immediately and use a brush. He actually sells the Onzow and said it's dangerous. One customer had a stylus detach from the cantilever inside it.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I would like to see it after a good brushing with stylus fluid.

That's the best that I could find...your stylus tip, your cantilever from your cartridge.

You are right; it is the compound that glues the diamond stylus to the tube (cantilever).
Your USB microscope (magnifier) is quite powerful.

"The Kiseki PurpleHeart N.S. is a true beauty in every sense. Physically, it is made of rare Purpleheart wood, which turns from brown to a golden purple in direct or indirect sunlight. It sports a boron cantilever the size of a human hair, and a diamond so small that my 66-year-old eyes cannot see it, even with a magnifying glass. Though 30mm long, it weighs only 7 grams. Its edges are all right angles which make for easy setup. In addition, its strong .48mV output is a chip shot for all MC step-up devices that exist in the world."

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue74/kiseki_purpleheart.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Are you guys getting any closer to a definitive product and procedural recommendation?

Reactions: DaveyF

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have a small brush for hairs or something that is larger. But for me the ME is the ticket now for sure.

Reactions: PeterA

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have a small brush for hairs or something that is larger. But for me the ME is the ticket now for sure.

Don't toss your brush. An important part of the ME protocol is to gently brush the stylus after using the ME because it can leave small amounts of ME residue on the stylus. PeterA uses the Onzow for that purpose; I like a 00 artist brush. The residue looks like very tiny white flakes. That happens probably less than 50% of the time but that residue should not go into the groove.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Are you guys getting any closer to a definitive product and procedural recommendation?

A singular product recommendation and technique agreed to by most thread participants? No.

The thread asks: "How do you clean your stylus?" The closest I can get to your executive summary is post # 130 - written for you btw - which assesses and boils it down to two approaches. Best I can tell no one has objected/rejected its characterization yet - of course that could change at any moment.

There are those who say "I do what I do and it is fine for me." There are a few such as Folsom who tried a method he had not used (Magic Eraser) and seems now to be a convert. If I recall the correctly, no one has switched to using the Onzow product because of the discussion here.

I don't think we have a "Forget it Jake, its Chinatown." conclusion. You can take your pick based on discussion. My (perhaps biased) suggestion is to listen to people who have been maintaing their own cartridges for years and adopt the method they use.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bob, thanks for posting all of the photos of the various loops and magnifying devices. Only concern i would have with them is that one has to be very very careful when using them and focusing on the stylus- to not bump or touch the cartridge. Bumping the cantilever with the loop could be very damaging to the cantilever. The focal length is therefore questionable with these devices when looking at the cantilever/stylus--made more difficult based on the particular design of the cartridge and cantilever assembly. Therefore, this would lead me to shy away from using these devices due to potential risk of damage. One mistake and it could be costly!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Don't toss your brush. An important part of the ME protocol is to gently brush the stylus after using the ME because it can leave small amounts of ME residue on the stylus. PeterA uses the Onzow for that purpose; I like a 00 artist brush. The residue looks like very tiny white flakes. That happens probably less than 50% of the time but that residue should not go into the groove.

I guess I could use my SolidState for that. Good point.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Excellent question. It seems the answer is illusive, as it appears to be dependent on the comfort level with some of the products available. I am one of those that seem to be more risk adverse in regards to some of the products, like the ME. Others are seemingly more accepting of something like the ME...which there is nothing wrong with. I do question whether the results with using the ME ( or for that matter something like Onzow) are possibly detrimental...which most likely depends on the protocol that is used. Another question ---does anyone have knowledge of anyone who has damaged their cartridge using ME? ( With all due respect to Peter A, who I am sure has the art of applying ME down to a fine art).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, thanks for posting all of the photos of the various loops and magnifying devices. Only concern i would have with them is that one has to be very very careful when using them and focusing on the stylus- to not bump or touch the cartridge. Bumping the cantilever with the loop could be very damaging to the cantilever. The focal length is therefore questionable with these devices when looking at the cantilever/stylus--made more difficult based on the particular design of the cartridge and cantilever assembly. Therefore, this would lead me to shy away from using these devices due to potential risk of damage. One mistake and it could be costly!

I have used the 30x jeweler magnifier for over twenty years without ever any incident.
I lock on my tonearm when I inspect. And with practice we get good and quick @ it, I do.

By the way, Tima mentioned 10x ... I recommend 20x @ minimum.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And when you have a brand new cart and stylus, or a stylus replacement; inspect it first with the magnifier, so that you have a reference of what it looks like when clean.

And I still would love to hear from Mike Lavigne and David (ddk) on this important topic.
To me they are the two grand maestros in the art of everything turntable related maintenance for optimum performance. ...Two for sure among the best.
_____

? https://www.worldwidestereo.com/blo...-your-turntable-prolong-the-life-of-your-gear

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing