How do you clean your stylus?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
A-ha! I read post #130 now. Thank you.

OK, so what is your personal cleaning procedure and products?

Ah, the things I do for Ron. :) thanks.

Products
- Small LED flashlight with a flat bottom. I stand this beneath stylus/cartridge. I use this one..
- 10X-30X loupe/triplet. I use 20X. I use this one. **
- Magniying glass. I use this one. ~3X
- 00 artist brush. I use Joe Miller Signature, half sable and half nylon fiber.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - white. A singleton will last a long time. Small stick/dowel to hold ME.

Relevant product Pictures on WBF
Post #14 Loupe on a stand
Post #35 - Magnifying glass, ME tool, artist brush, etc.

Procedure/Technique

With phono stage or preamp on MUTE:

1. Using strong lighting, Inspect stylus with a 20X loupe before each record side. Once you get used to doing this quickly, inspection simply becomes part of playing a record.
1.a 60% of the time the stylus is clean. Unmute. Play Record. Otherwise go to step 2.

2. If stylus shows dust or small bits picked up from previous play: use magnifying glass to guide a stiff-but-pliable 00 artist brush and lightly brush stylus. Typically I see the bits fly into the air. Check with loupe. If stylus is clean, Play Record - typically 25-30% of time.
2.a If stylus still shows dust/small bits, redo step 2. If stylus shows something adhered to it, or caught on it, another light brushing often works (~5%) but if not, go to step 3.

3. Use Magic Eraser (ME) to clean stylus - maybe 5% or less. I keep and use a small cube of white ME on a stick - very light weight. My technique is: looking at stylus/cartridge with magnifying glass, I hold the ME by its 'handle' so that top of ME is parallel with tabletop. Gently raise ME so that stylus alone penetrates ME foam, then lower ME. Repeat 2-3X. Inspect with loupe. Stylus/diamond should be clear and bright. Again with magnifying glass, gently brush stylus to insure no ME flakes on stylus. Play record.
3.a I usually inspect stylus with loupe after final LP side of my listening session

You should be done. This approach is predicated on keeping your records clean and checking your stylus before each side. As an option, after final LP of session, inspect stylus with loupe.

_____

** The picture at ToolUSA shows loupe pointing down. I can adjust mine to any direction so turn it sideways. The base is quite heavy and it is hard to tip over. The beauty of this setup is to adjust it for the height you need to see your stylus. I keep mine on a small mousepad by the tonearm which makes it quick and simple to swivel in and out of place for stylus inspection. The outer case of the loupe can touch the cartridge, but not the stylus, so it is possible to get very close yet focus with safety. In fact, when in place on my rack next to the tonearm, this device prevents my hand from wandering close to the stylus/cartridge. Been using this technique 15+ years. I bought the loupe+ at A'zon but it is no longer available and for a while I thought the product was extinct. I searched when writing this note and was pleased to have found the linked site - don't know how long they will have it. I bought an extra.

Last edited:
Reactions: dminches

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Tima, that's very interesting, thanks for the post.

Anyone still using Last Stylast? My dealer highly recommends it, believes that everyone should be using it. I have used it for many years and do think it helps stylus longevity. It also might contribute to keeping the stylus clean.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Tima, that's very interesting, thanks for the post.

Anyone still using Last Stylast? My dealer highly recommends it, believes that everyone should be using it. I have used it for many years and do think it helps stylus longevity. It also might contribute to keeping the stylus clean.

I read a report somewhere that a guy inspected his stylus at 40x magnification after using that stuff and found it had hardened and stuck to it in clumps. No thanks.

Clean records, a good brush, magic eraser, and occasional fluid cleaner should be all one needs in my new opinion. And I'm sticking to it.

I have some of this fluid:
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/15913/Disc_Doctor-Stylus_Cleaning_Fluid-Stylus_Cleaner

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Clean records, a good brush, magic eraser, and occasional fluid cleaner should be all one needs in my new opinion. And I'm sticking to it.
I'm with bazelio here. I'm not against using fluid cleaner once in a blue moon, either. But it should be used very sparingly, not as part of the daily/weekly routine.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ah, the things I do for Ron. :) thanks.

Products
- Small LED flashlight with a flat bottom. I stand this beneath stylus/cartridge. I use this one..
- 10X-30X loupe/triplet. I use 20X. I use this one. **
- Magniying glass. I use this one. ~3X
- 00 artist brush. I use Joe Miller Signature, half sable and half nylon fiber.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - white. A singleton will last a long time. Small stick/dowel to hold ME.

Relevant product Pictures on WBF
Post #14 Loupe on a stand
Post #35 - Magnifying glass, ME tool, artist brush, etc.

Procedure/Technique

With phono stage or preamp on MUTE:

1. Using strong lighting, Inspect stylus with a 20X loupe before each record side. Once you get used to doing this quickly, inspection simply becomes part of playing a record.
1.a 60% of the time the stylus is clean. Unmute. Play Record. Otherwise go to step 2.

2. If stylus shows dust or small bits picked up from previous play: use magnifying glass to guide a stiff-but-pliable 00 artist brush and lightly brush stylus. Typically I see the bits fly into the air. Check with loupe. If stylus is clean, Play Record - typically 25-30% of time.
2.a If stylus still shows dust/small bits, redo step 2. If stylus shows something adhered to it, or caught on it, another light brushing often works (~5%) but if not, go to step 3.

3. Use Magic Eraser (ME) to clean stylus - maybe 5% or less. I keep and use a small cube of white ME on a stick - very light weight. My technique is: looking at stylus/cartridge with magnifying glass, I hold the ME by its 'handle' so that top of ME is parallel with tabletop. Gently raise ME so that stylus alone penetrates ME foam, then lower ME. Repeat 2-3X. Inspect with loupe. Stylus/diamond should be clear and bright. Again with magnifying glass, gently brush stylus to insure no ME flakes on stylus. Play record.
3.a I usually inspect stylus with loupe after final LP side of my listening session

You should be done. This approach is predicated on keeping your records clean and checking your stylus before each side. As an option, after final LP of session, inspect stylus with loupe.

_____

** The picture at ToolUSA shows loupe pointing down. I can adjust mine to any direction so turn it sideways. The base is quite heavy and it is hard to tip over. The beauty of this setup is to adjust it for the height you need to see your stylus. I keep mine on a small mousepad by the tonearm which makes it quick and simple to swivel in and out of place for stylus inspection. The outer case of the loupe can touch the cartridge, but not the stylus, so it is possible to get very close yet focus with safety. In fact, when in place on my rack next to the tonearm, this device prevents my hand from wandering close to the stylus/cartridge. Been using this technique 15+ years. I bought the loupe+ at A'zon but it is no longer available and for a while I thought the product was extinct. I searched when writing this note and was pleased to have found the linked site - don't know how long they will have it. I bought an extra.

Thank you very, very much, Tim! I appreciate your time and effort on this! The links are very helpful!

This uses more products and is quite a bit more detailed than my old procedure. (In my old procedure I would use the hard bristle brush every LP side, and use a little bit of stylus cleaner every three or four LPs. Not once did I ever use a magnifying instrument to see the stylus clearly!)

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have no objection to liquid cleaners on principle. But I wanted a regular protocol that did not use them. Imo, it is too easy to paint some cleaner on the stylus or brush then brush, all without taking a good look at what I was doing. It was too easy to brush the cantilever and/or cartridge underside without realizing it, especially using the brush that comes with the liquid cleaner.

Though the liquid cleaners are largely alcohol, they can have solids that can build up over time. If a cartridge has plastic on its body, particularly on its underside, plastic can be affected. (Note I'm saying 'can' not 'will'.) For example, Transfiguration cartridges use a small clear piece of plastic to cover their motors; that plastic will dis-adhere from the body with a few swipes of liquid cleaner. Yes it is quite possible to do it right with liquid, care and attention, and it is also possible to do it right with no liquid.

For myself I want an effective reliable method that becomes a safe habit.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I read a report somewhere that a guy inspected his stylus at 40x magnification after using that stuff and found it had hardened and stuck to it in clumps. No thanks.

I have some of this fluid:
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/15913/Disc_Doctor-Stylus_Cleaning_Fluid-Stylus_Cleaner

That's odd. Last Stylast has as one of its ingredients Teflon. Very hard to see how that could harden onto the stylus??
I'm till not sure how ME can do anything, it isn't abrasive ( at least not dry).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That's odd. Last Stylast has as one of its ingredients Teflon. Very hard to see how that could harden onto the stylus??
I'm till not sure how ME can do anything, it isn't abrasive ( at least not dry).

Davey, The ME I use is mildly abrasive when dry. That is precisely why it can scrape off the built up black crud that accumulates on the stylus tip.

Reactions: mulveling

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I've had a frustrating few days realising that I hadn't been looking after my stylus brilliantly, combined w my cart coming out of alignment, leading to some awful mistracking issues.

I've spent all day reappraising everything, from Stacore, plinth, platter and arm manifold level, to rejigging correct cart/stylus alignment (easy when you know how on a linear tracker, thanks Bill).

Annnnnd, today having installed my spare stylus in the Straingauge, I'm gonna start on a new stylus cleaning regime, basically Magic Eraser, this Ortofon brush or a 00 artist brush, and Flux Ultrasound cleaner.

I'll also invest in a loupe and keep a proper eye on things.

A big thank you to Audiophile Bill for cracking the whip on me getting this right.

The opinions posted here have been a massive help, thank you boys.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Davey, The ME I use is mildly abrasive when dry. That is precisely why it can scrape off the built up black crud that accumulates on the stylus tip.
The ME definitely is a bit abrasive, even dry. And this is a different application than cleaning soap scum off your tub, anyways. I can even hear it "brushing" while I gently rotate about the stylus (perfectly safe as the forces are less than what the stylus experiences during playback). The guy from whom I first read of the "rotation" method also advocates wetting the ME with a bit of isopropyl alcohol. I haven't gone that far. I find that proper maintenance with a dry ME and brush is adequate for keeping a stylus free of crud and discoloration. I tried a wet ME on an older slightly discolored/blackened stylus (not a product of the ME regimen) and it didn't seem much more effective than dry. The key is to not let a stylus get to that point, which you'll find to be a much more difficult problem - and you won't have that unhappy situation if you follow the advice of almost any of the ME + brush guys. And remember to also brush off those cantilevers!

Man I cringe when I see a gorgeous 5-figure cartridge for sale with pics showing gobs of crud or dust on the cantilever, front plate, etc. We all brush our teeth and floss every day, right? And not just the front ones. Top-tier vinyl playback requires some effort too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mulveling, so what's the technique w ME? I'm going to use it later for the first time on a brand new stylus

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Mulveling, so what's the technique w ME? I'm going to use it later for the first time on a brand new stylus
There are a few different ways, as documented in this thread. Depends on your preferences and comfort levels. All involve cutting a smaller piece off the large pad - of which you want the *original* smooth white rectangular Mr. Clean brand - not the textured 2x/4x tougher kinds, no blue detergent side, etc. You want the piece to be as flat and smooth as possible on both top/bottom, so a razor blade helps (tell the cashier you need it to cut some white stuff lol). My pieces are generally in the range of 1 inch per side (one side a bit longer), and a few mm's tall.

I use the cueing lever to dip into a corner, and then *carefully* with one finger slowly push against a far side so that the piece rotates with the stylus as center/pivot point. I usually move it 60 to 90 degrees in one direction before reversing, and then back and forth again etc. Brush off the stylus with a dry brush both before and after the ME bit. I prefer a long bristle brush, as you can come at the stylus and cantilever from many more angles. If your cueing lever doesn't give enough clearance then either cut a thinner piece or use a shim on the cue support arm (I use a fine microfiber cloth folded in 2 for a shim - like the ones for polishing multi-coated eyeglass lenses or computer screens). Your platter will need to be smooth and slick enough to use this method, or use a slick shim (like a speed strobe disc).

Practice on a cheaper stylus first. Get use to the movement, tweak technique as necessary. You can also just do the dip/lift thing for a while, as I did before I became more comfortable with ME. I use it religiously on a Koetsu Coralstone. No problemo!

Now if you've already got a stylus that has buildup on it, honestly I'd consider sending it to a re-tipper for a professional clean. Then maintain it from there.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mulveling, my stylus is brand new Day One. I'm not sure if the ME that I have is the one you recommend or the other one. Why are you reluctant to use the "tougher" one?

I can see why one might be reluctant to wiggle the pad while stylus sits in it. I'll stick w dipping it in and out to start.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I think the "tougher" ones would probably be OK to use, but for now I'm sticking with the greater body of experience on the plain original, which works great. The perfectly flat sides are easier to work with, too.

This is the original that most people use when they talk about ME regimens:
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - Amazon

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

Don't know, and don't really care how it hardened. I'm 100% uninterested in coating my stylus with Teflon or anything else for that matter.

The ME is abrasive.

Reactions: mulveling

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I also own one similar - that I often use, but dry, without any cleaning fluid. Although people often call it ultrasonic, as far as I remember the frequency of operation is around a few hundred Hz.
you need fluid and it is ultrasonic. it works like cleaners jewellers, dentists and doctors use. As well as Kirmuss owners.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Using a combination of DS Audio ST-50 and Flux Ultrasonic since I installed the spare new stylus in my Straingauge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing