How do you clean your stylus?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I also use the Magic Eraser, but I very gently rub the stylus sides from back to front once or twice and occasionally dip the stylus before each play. I follow this with a dip into the Onzow to remove any residue or white dust from the ME. Stylus looks brand new and I've never had a problem. I sometimes brush the bottom side of the cartridge with a small, long haired paint brush to remove dust on the cantilever and rubber covering where the cantilever enters the cartridge body.

This sounds like a good technique. I've read many of DougD's posts elsewhere, and think highly of his techniques and opinions. I assume you've cut the ME into smaller strips and don't have any concern about snagging the stylus as you swipe from back to front. That's my only concern when I think about trying this.

Incidentally, the ST-50 that someone posted earlier looks like a nice Onzow alternative, albeit an expensive one.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Unfortunately, ( and I also own one of these) the AT ultrasonic, like all ultrasonics- has a small cleaning pad that consists of a brush that can snag the cantilever...and potentially do damage. ( apparently the brush has tiny loops as part of the design)
I think the concern that Bazelio has is quite warranted with the ME. Snag the cantilever..and possibly buy a new cartridge!

@jfrech, I use the SPT treatment, it is good, but won't remove the accumulated gunk that occasionally gets burnt on. What do you use for that?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I use a trimmed brush for the stylus Davey, cut at an angle so stiffer at the shorter part and softer at the back, and when neccessary, I use a drop of this Zeiss lens cleaner on the brush. I decant into a tiny plastic dropper bottle and use that. This cleaner leaves no residue, and is safe for stylus adhesives. Cost is good too..

Thanks Paul. I would question whether this product would end up drying up the suspension, as it must have some form of alcohol or similar in it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

* New discovery: 5 videos per post max (used to be 10)
_____

I clean my stylus after each playing side, about you?

How long your stylus lasts, your cartridge?
The cleaner your albums (best record cleaning machines) the more life your stylus and cartridge?
One playing hour a day, stylus replacement after about two years?

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks, Peter.
Do you wet the brush before use, I understand that you need to do this in order for the ME to work. ( needs to be damp).

I think it probably depends on what you are trying to clean. Pots and pans, yes, wet might be great. I do not get my ME wet or damp. It is a dry rubbing process from back to front, with long, smooth strokes. Think of it like sand paper, but more gentle and it allows one to dip the tip in and out or rotate it as was suggested up thread. One must be careful and gentle, but I find it to be extremely effective.

For liability reasons, I am not giving you advice about how to use it.:) Please read the threads on Audiogon and elsewhere about the ME and how to use it.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I clean the stylus after every side with DS Audio ST-50 and after every listening session I use the Flux HiFi sonic cleaner.
The records are clean with my Loricraft PRC3 .

These method works well for me.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Unfortunately, ( and I also own one of these) the AT ultrasonic, like all ultrasonics- has a small cleaning pad that consists of a brush that can snag the cantilever...and potentially do damage. ( apparently the brush has tiny loops as part of the design)
I think the concern that Bazelio has is quite warranted with the ME. Snag the cantilever..and possibly buy a new cartridge!

@jfrech, I use the SPT treatment, it is good, but won't remove the accumulated gunk that occasionally gets burnt on. What do you use for that?

I've read extensively about this cleaner, nowhere have i seen anything about the brush having "loops." It's not Velcro.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Forgive me, this is humor:

Looking @ few alternatives on how to clean our stylus...brushes, erasers, lubricants, etc., and other turntable's and cartidge's maintenance and adjustment tools...mini screwdrivers, various lubricants for different parts, precision tools and levels and microscopes (magnifying glass), ...we need a garage for all the precision tools required, oil changes, filter removals, mini harnesses, jumper cables, diaphrams, diagrams, rubbers (belts), stroboscope lights, ion guns, demagnetizer guns, screws, washers, set of various drivers ... hexnut, Philips, Allen keys, ...

The Art of rotating albums on a properly set and oiled and clean lubricated TT does indeed require a romantic garage nearby for all the tools, and it's a dedication to maintain that art like it is to maintain a car, a home, a relationship, a ship.

Analog people are better lovers...romance & Romeo and Juliet.

Keep them stylus clean for every play (per side) and don't let gum residues (never) to accumulate or the cleaning job won't be so easy anymore. Anyone who bought second-hand albums know best. You might get lucky and they are pretty clean, or look quite clean until you play them.

But then, even brand new they will let residues on your stylus. And it's impossible to live in a dust-free environment unless in a hospital quarantine room with a state-of-the-art air filtration system.

That's all, it made me think that TT maintenance (stylus, cartridge, speed, all the important small adjusts and tools and liquids ...) is a true art form in this magnificent hobby ... vinyl music spinning and listening.

Some people transfer all their LPs to music servers; I cannot blame them, particularly in the retirement age when time is in short supply and travelling the world is getting more and more open and safer. You still have to do some research, as not all corners come recommended.

* How many hours per week do you spend on spinning albums and related around your turntable (garage tools and all that stylus style jazz)? It's also very good for the physical exercise...feet, hands and fingers...every 22 minutes or so.
And nothing else in the world can take that away from all the love that is in it ... rotational album (analog vinyl) music listening, and the garage of precise tools that comes with it.
Try to be that romantic with digital streaming and spinning. No way, it is antiseptic, it smells Javex to clean hospital's green walls and floors and toilet rooms. ...Mental hospitals.

Like I said, forgive me for the humor.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Can you post a picture of the ME setup you use?

DSC01711.JPG

DSC01713.JPG
I raise the ME to just touch the stylus. Usually I see the stylus tip dissapear a teeny bit into the foam. Different from Peter, I do not rub or pull on the ME in any direction - just dip. My 'fear' is the stylus will catch or be grabbed in the ME - different folks have different technique; just saying what works for me. You can see a high magnification picture of the ME foam in my earlier message.

Wrt to other msgs. I would not / do not wet the ME.

Magic Eraser has been on the market for a while now. There is/was a version that had white material on one side and a thinner blue material on the other. The blue was slightly different - not the same material - it is rougher and used for more aggressive scrubbing. I think the general consensus is use white only.

Ultimately the key for me with stylus cleaning is examining the stylus w/ a magnifier.

DSC01715.JPG

I think 10X is the minimum I'd use. You need to get close, but the high magnification insures no dirt goes unnoticed. You also get to see your stylus mounting on the cantilever and usually you can see it's type - how it is cut (if it is cut.)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I showed Tinka this thread, and she said “God, you guys are so neurotic!”

True, but we can’t be happy with the system unless everything is perfect!

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I like how vinyl gives me an OCD I can relate to in the physical world, however small. I can’t imagine the obsessions over digital jitter and rubidium/etc clocks; I would die before 40 for sure.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Tima you are right about the blue part of Magic Eraser ...

* I use a 30x magnifier to look @ my stylus for each album play.
It is the safest way to confirm the stylus cleaning job.
____

Bonus (for added fun):

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I showed Tinka this thread, and she said “God, you guys are so neurotic!”

True, but we can’t be happy with the system unless everything is perfect!

A perfect system. Then what will we do?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing