How do you clean your stylus?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My magnifier is 30x, and I use a powerful Mini Maglite to have a clear bright view.
The Magic Eraser usually suffices for clean albums, plus I use a stylus brush, similar to the ones most vinyphiles showed and used here (Ortofon brush).

For a really gooey stylus I use inoffensive stylus fluid, showed previously in some of the videos.
The cleaner my albums the easier to clean my stylus; I reserve my best stylus for them.

And I change cartridges (different stylus) for second-hand albums. It is amazing what stick to a stylus from less than pristine albums...but you all know that already.
_____

Bonus:

? https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stylus-maintenace-tools-tricks.410123/

Because music and movies matter.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
And I change cartridges (different stylus) for second-hand albums. It is amazing what stick to a stylus from less than pristine albums...but you all know that already.

I cannot be bothered with having to change stylus for not so good or clean records what a palaver.
All my records new or second hand are cleaned using my Loricraft PRC3 first before first play and if the records are really dirty i.e second-hand then I use Record Revirginizer first.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I will say that since I purchased my KLAudio record cleaner, I don't really have to clean my stylus too often.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I will say that since I purchased my KLAudio record cleaner, I don't really have to clean my stylus too often.

I really fancied the KLAudio at one point compared to the Audio Desk systeme, the running cost is lower but then i just thought i'll stick to my Loricraft it works;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Why is this not also the case with a stiff short bristle brush?

The stylus moves between the bristles - it's not bound to anything, unlike the Onzow, in which case it is stuck on the goo

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
My magnifier is 30x, and I use a powerful Mini Maglite to have a clear bright view.
The Magic Eraser usually suffices for clean albums, plus I use a stylus brush, similar to the ones most vinyphiles showed and used here (Ortofon brush).

For a really gooey stylus I use inoffensive stylus fluid, showed previously in some of the videos.
The cleaner my albums the easier to clean my stylus; I reserve my best stylus for them.

_____

Bonus:

? https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stylus-maintenace-tools-tricks.410123/

Because music and movies matter.

I have been using magic eraser for years on my 12 odd cartridges

I have surgical loupes, and its amazing how they clean it, and the diamond shines at the end.

Not only gets gunk, but the vinyl black off

As I mainly have removable headshells, I prefer to undo them, and do in my hand rather than on my arm

with my triplanar arms( non removable headshells) I use a brush, and white magic eraser a bit more judiciously

I agree with the Kl audio, us generally don't get much fluff off, but with records wet washed cleaned in the past, I often get a lot, I suspect because I wasn't so good at cleaning records well before the Klaudio.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anyone have any idea as to how the ME ‘supposedly’ removes all of the gunk, including the black burnt on vinyl? I fail to see how it can do this, particularly if one uses it dry.
The only thing IME that seems to remove the black vinyl is Last stylus cleaner, which is a mix of Teflon and some alcohol, AFAIK. Therein lies the problem with the Last cleaner, the alcohol can dry the components in the suspension...but it seems to work on the burnt vinyl on the stylus!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Anyone have any idea as to how the ME ‘supposedly’ removes all of the gunk, including the black burnt on vinyl? I fail to see how it can do this, particularly if one uses it dry.
The only thing IME that seems to remove the black vinyl is Last stylus cleaner, which is a mix of Teflon and some alcohol, AFAIK. Therein lies the problem with the Last cleaner, the alcohol can dry the components in the suspension...but it seems to work on the burnt vinyl on the stylus!

https://www.hifipro.ca/product/last...J01K-tVJA3snQ4RpKOqDyYRBRtGd0H7QaAn07EALw_wcB

Or • https://www.amazon.ca/Nagaoka-stylu...ocphy=1001913&hvtargid=pla-439955010460&psc=1

I use a Q-tip, wet it lightly, take the excess by squeezing it, apply to the stylus safely, use the other tip of the Q-tip to make sure it's dry for a good job, take my magnifier (30x is sufficient), check it out, looks brand new and shiny. No damage and all that nasty gooey rubbery fudgy stuff is gone.
That's for the occasional remedy.

The magnifier is the only way to verify your work. From that you'll know how to do it once and for all and forever after. That's the way I do it personally, from what you described above.
My styluses are inexpensive, less than $300, including the cartridge.

I never had a stylus coming unglued from the cantilever. I make sure that I touch only the tip, the diamond, it's circular surrounding where that gooey stuff accumulates, to disintegrate it delicately.

If my styluses were say $3,000 or around, I wouldn't even play records that I consider "not sufficiently clean" (second-hand), or unless having a top record cleaner, which I don't have, so I change cartridges for those, even after cleaning them by hand with a rotary record cleaner that you attached to the center spindle of the TT and using record cleaner fluid.

Some vinyphiles only play brand new albums and using top record cleaners.

But me I play brand new and second-hand, and I don't have a record cleaning machine, just a modest apparatus plus the regular quality brushes we are all using for each side (with fluid);
https://m.newegg.ca/products/9SIA66...hKI0KWnSXKluN-TDvOBYHR0FX8ottPJcaAg5fEALw_wcB

Plus the carbon fiber one, plus the velour type one, plus the custom homemade ones I made myself. ...For the record. I use the one from the link above, 95% of the time. I find the fiber carbon brush not doing the job to make me real happy. But that's me.

But yes, the Magic Eraser and ONZOW Zerodust by themselves won't do the job for those stylus full of goo. They are good for normal dust accumulation.
Magnifier...30x minimum is sufficient (40x to 60x very good, just have a holding base like a member posted before, and a bright concentrated light of course).

Conclusion: Yes, stylus cleaning fluid for the tough to clean stylus.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
https://www.hifipro.ca/product/last...J01K-tVJA3snQ4RpKOqDyYRBRtGd0H7QaAn07EALw_wcB

Or • https://www.amazon.ca/Nagaoka-stylu...ocphy=1001913&hvtargid=pla-439955010460&psc=1

I use a Q-tip, wet it lightly, take the excess by squeezing it, apply to the stylus safely, use the other tip of the Q-tip to make sure it's dry for a good job, take my magnifier (30x is sufficient), check it out, looks brand new and shiny. No damage and all that nasty gooey rubbery fudgy stuff is gone.
That's for the occasional remedy.

The magnifier is the only way to verify your work. From that you'll know how to do it once and for all and forever after. That's the way I do it personally, from what you described above.
My styluses are inexpensive, less than $300, including the cartridge.

I never had a stylus coming unglued from the cantilever. I make sure that I touch only the tip, the diamond, it's circular surrounding where that gooey stuff accumulates, to disintegrate it delicately.

If my styluses were say $3,000 or around, I wouldn't even play records that I consider "not sufficiently clean" (second-hand), or unless having a top record cleaner, which I don't have, so I change cartridges for those, even after cleaning them by hand with a rotary record cleaner that you attached to the center spindle of the TT and using record cleaner fluid.

Some vinyphiles only play brand new albums and using top record cleaners.

But me I play brand new and second-hand, and I don't have a record cleaning machine, just a modest apparatus plus the regular quality brushes we are all using for each side (with fluid);
https://m.newegg.ca/products/9SIA66...hKI0KWnSXKluN-TDvOBYHR0FX8ottPJcaAg5fEALw_wcB

Plus the carbon fiber one, plus the velour type one, plus the custom homemade ones I made myself. ...For the record. I use the one from the link above, 95% of the time. I find the fiber carbon brush not doing the job to make me real happy. But that's me.

But yes, the Magic Eraser and ONZOW Zerodust by themselves won't do the job for those stylus full of goo. They are good for normal dust accumulation.
Magnifier...30x minimum is sufficient (40x to 60x very good, just have a holding base like a member posted before, and a bright concentrated light of course).

Conclusion: Yes, stylus cleaning fluid for the tough to clean stylus.

Bob, regardless of the value of your stylus, I wouldn’t suggest that you use a Qtip wet or otherwise on it. If one of the fibers snags the stylus, you will undoubtedly do damage!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm very delicate Davey, no problemo. If I wasn't I wouldn't use it. That's why after dropping one or two small drops I squeeze two fingers on its tip so that no fibers get stuck on it. After practice I get the hang of it.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
I am a ME believer.
For years I use this this wonder an all my styluses ( Lyra, vdH, Denon, AT).
I cut very thin pieces from the block. Lets say 2-3mm thick, 5mm wide and two inches long. When you blow on it, it will bend.
So it is very flexible and will do no harm to the stylus, cantilver and suspension.
When you use something unflexible like a pin you will stress the cantilever.
During the holidays a friend popped in with his big microscope to examine my cartridges. All diamonds were shiny as new. Furthermore there were nearly no wear to see.

Before use, I would recommend to do a little practice on an old cart to get a feeling for it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Would all of you please collectively and cooperatively discuss and debate various cleaning products and various cleaning techniques to achieve consensus on a specific stylus cleaning procedure with one or more specific products which you recommend to all of us?

Reactions: jeff1225

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Would all of you please collectively and cooperatively discuss and debate various cleaning products and various cleaning techniques to achieve consensus on a specific stylus cleaning procedure with one or more specific products which you recommend to all of us?

We are certainly discussing this topic, Ron. Can't say we will reach a consensus. I think we agree that a soft brush, or even a dense short brush like the ones that come with some cartridges, are fine for removing dust buildup. Some prefer the Onzow or similar goo/gel for getting off dust. What we do not seem to agree on is how to remove the baked on gunk, melted vinyl, or whatever it is.

Some have found that the Magic Eraser (ME) works great for this because it uses friction or abrasion to scrub off or sand off the crud. One must be careful with this method. Others think this is far too risky and prefer some kind of liquid, but the concern there is that it might migrate up the cantilever and dry out the rubber suspension.

I think there are two camps. I would experiment with both methods and see what works for you and decide with which you are more comfortable. Consensus is a difficult thing to achieve in this hobby.

Reactions: tima

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We are certainly discussing this topic, Ron. Can't say we will reach a consensus.

Yeah, I have no idea where Ron's message is coming from. And why should there be consensus.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO it is not possible to have a consensus in an activity where the main drawbacks are mostly due to human misuse. Properly used all systems are safe, but our skills are very different - although I have a firm hand I do not like the idea of using a system relying on manually handling or lowering the stylus. IMHO tonearm lifts exist to make our life simpler and protect the LPs and the stylus. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I think Magic Eraser is a consensus among those who have been willing to try it, especially going beyond the simple dip & lift (i.e. the least effective way to use it). It's brilliant. The diamond stylus will continue to shine like new with proper & regular use. They're dirt cheap and everywhere. Not *everything* about high-end vinyl playback has to be insanely expensive and difficult.

Another consensus - an excellent record cleaning regimen goes hand-in-hand with your stylus cleaning. You won't get a consensus on cleaners here, but UltraSonic is by far the front-runner. I use the Clearaudio Double Matrix Pro Sonic (not UltraSonic, but it uses lower-frequency sonic vibration on the brushes) and absolutely love it - fully automatic, and most records are 100% done with the 90 second cycle so I don't need to set aside special cleaning time before listening sessions.

Since I started using the Clearaudio Double Matrix and M.E. + brush regimens, my stylus diamonds gleam like new, I never ever see any dust blob at the end of a side, and I never see a gross film accumulating to coat the stylus.

Reactions: andi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing