How do you decide how much.....

Champ04

Sep 24, 2012
Illinois
This thread was inspired by one particular post in another thread but is a theme I am seeing more and more often.
The statement in the other thread, paraphrased, was "I won't pay anything more than 20% off, 30% off if it's cables."
Now, when I read something like that, and if I'm not exactly up to speed on real world pricing, I think to myself "That guy must know something and I sure as hell don't want to be the fool who does pay full price!" In other words, a statement like that has the potential to snowball.

So before the question, lets start with a given. I think it can be plainly stated that, especially with cables, some of this pricing IS just plain ridiculous. For proof, I offer the fact that at least three of the biggest names I know of are 75 to 80 point items. (Ie. the dealer keeps 75%-80% of the "retail" cost.) And, obviously, anyone who understands this will demand a significant discount.

But! Not ALL gear in this hobby is priced that way.
So.... two line of questions.....

1) Once this "game" becomes common practice, does it not force ALL manufacturers/retailers to play the game? What if one company offers pricing that does not leave room for such big discounts. But enough people assume that they can/should demand one. What to do? (from both perspectives, manufacturer and consumer)

2) How do you determine what a "fair" price is? Or, if you care, how do you determine which companies are playing the game? Does ANYONE pay full price, ever?

P.S. There is no motivation in these questions. I am not slamming ultra expensive gear or making a judgment call on the right to price items in the stratosphere. Just curious as to how most people navigate the landscape.

My personal rule is simple. If I have to think about it, it's too much. If I can't stop thinking about it that's when it gets dicey! LOL.

(...) So before the question, lets start with a given. I think it can be plainly stated that, especially with cables, some of this pricing IS just plain ridiculous. For proof, I offer the fact that at least three of the biggest names I know of are 75 to 80 point items. (Ie. the dealer keeps 75%-80% of the "retail" cost.) And, obviously, anyone who understands this will demand a significant discount.
(...)

Nice to know that the world is split in two groups - those who properly know about it and ask for significant discounts and those who do not know ... Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing