ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As IHOP says, “It’s all about flavor. Not about limits.” None at all

A few reasons why America is adding inches to the waist: http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/extreme_eating_2013.pdf

Salt, fat and sweet.

No secret, food industry has known that for decades :(

The food industry has done scary amounts of research to trick us into eating! Things where you say "I couldn't be fooled by that!" yet are.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Was born/raised in the South and grew up on Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Everything was fried!

I never have been on a 'diet' and never will. I control my weight by exercise and portion size.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I eat as close to no carbs as I can, and as much fat over proteins as is possible without it turning ridiculous.

Plenty of oily fish, intensely coloured fruit and veg, whole wheat bread and as many muffins and cakes as I fancy.

Almost the same no bread, no flour.

Indulge once in a while with Ice cream :( Have been resisting for decades acquiring an Ice Cream maker ...

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Almost the same no bread, no flour.

Indulge once in a while with Ice cream :( Have been resisting for decades acquiring an Ice Cream maker ...

We've recently gotten a few icecreams in the store which are sweetened by Stevia, which has no bloodsugar impact. So I can have some without issues.
( I do have a maker. Double cream, eggyolks, real vanilla and some Stevia powder works out just fine. :p )

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am fighting a metabolic syndrome, so I need to watch for portion size, stay out of fat and have lots of seeds and vegetables with 45 min of daily exercise - unfortunately God placed me in MEXICO - so this is hard !!!! :)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I do very well on quality, very poorly on portion control. As I get older it gets harder to exercise off enough calories to account for my appetite.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If you are on a diet and your pants keep getting tighter, is that a good sign?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
my new years resolution is to drop my weight to where i was 10-yrs ago. i just lost 8 lbs in two weeks by eliminating refined carbs and going gluten-free.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
my new years resolution was to drop my weight to where i was 10-yrs ago. i just lost 8 lbs in two weeks by eliminating refined carbs and going gluten-free.

My wife has celiac disease and is forced to eat gluten free. However, this is not a healthy diet for those who actually have a choice in the matter from what I understand. It is a fad diet now with the Hollywood elite and Hollywood wannabes which scares me because once the fad wears off, many of the current gluten-free products on the market may disappear. And to eat totally eat gluten free is a challenge since gluten resides in products that you wouldn't think it would be there. Wheat and malt are added to tons of products in order to act as a thickening agent and/or a flavor enhancer. I had no idea that regular soy sauce contains gluten, but it does. And even when you buy products that say "gluten free," it doesn't mean they really are due to airborne contaminants or just good old fashioned contamination. Of course if you don't have celiac disease it doesn't really matter because you won't get sick if you eat something that contains gluten.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
My wife has celiac disease and is forced to eat gluten free. However, this is not a healthy diet for those who actually have a choice in the matter from what I understand. It is a fad diet now with the Hollywood elite and Hollywood wannabes which scares me because once the fad wears off, many of the current gluten-free products on the market may disappear. And to eat totally eat gluten free is a challenge since gluten resides in products that you wouldn't think it would be there. Wheat and malt are added to tons of products in order to act as a thickening agent and/or a flavor enhancer. I had no idea that regular soy sauce contains gluten, but it does. And even when you buy products that say "gluten free," it doesn't mean they really are due to airborne contaminants or just good old fashioned contamination. Of course if you don't have celiac disease it doesn't really matter because you won't get sick if you eat something that contains gluten.

i used shoyu last night with my maguro sashimi so i guess im not totally gluten-free:rolleyes: what i eliminated was wheat-based products like bread, breakfast cereal, pasta, pasteries, etc. when i get back to my goal weight ill have gluten based products again but less frequently and smaller portions.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If you are on a diet and your pants keep getting tighter, is that a good sign?

Just don't take them off... sorry :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Not sick in the celiac sense but some feel that gluten can cause allergies, etc. by causing leakage in the gut and allowing immune system cells (remember 80% of our immune cells are in our GI tract and for a good reason) to cross the intestinal border and enter the bloodstream.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
It's looking here as though the confusion is yours. 'On a diet' is idiomatic for on a weightloss (or other directed) diet, whereas you're quite right that one's diet means whatever one's (habitually) eating.

Doesn't mean it's correct, just because people have made a habit out of using it wrong. ;)

Joke asides - this is a problematic one, as it makes it hard to tell people to change their diet, as most of them will interpret it as if you tell them to "go on a (weightloss) diet". It also is problematic as they will consider what you tell them to be something they should stop once they're happy with their weight, rather than a permanent change of behavior.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing