How long will a Tergitol mix "hold" in a UCM tank?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Meaning to say - I mixed up a batch of Tergitol a couple of months ago in anticipation of the upcoming purchase of a bunch of records. Time kind of delayed that, and between then and now I've only been able to clean about 12 records. Not enough to cause any weird growths to develop in the tank (indeed, it looks as fresh as when I made it), but is there any risk to losing the concentration of the Tergitol over so long a time? I'm wondering if I should dump it and start over since there's no way to measure the concentration. The tank has been covered when not in use.

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
Meaning to say - I mixed up a batch of Tergitol a couple of months ago in anticipation of the upcoming purchase of a bunch of records. Time kind of delayed that, and between then and now I've only been able to clean about 12 records. Not enough to cause any weird growths to develop in the tank (indeed, it looks as fresh as when I made it), but is there any risk to losing the concentration of the Tergitol over so long a time? I'm wondering if I should dump it and start over since there's no way to measure the concentration. The tank has been covered when not in use.
Tony,

Tergitol 15-S-9 is non-volatile, so it's not going to evaporate from the water, in fact, if the water evaporates, the Tergitol 15-S-9 concentration increases. So long as the bath is clear, and has no objectionable odor, its fine.

However, if the bath 'had' IPA, that could be a different story. Did you ever buy an IPA hydrometer? and if so, have you measured the bath over time to determine the decrease in the IPA concentration?

Take care,
Neil

Reactions: tima

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Tony,

Tergitol 15-S-9 is non-volatile, so it's not going to evaporate from the water, in fact, if the water evaporates, the Tergitol 15-S-9 concentration increases. So long as the bath is clear, and has no objectionable odor, its fine.

However, if the bath 'had' IPA, that could be a different story. Did you ever buy an IPA hydrometer? and if so, have you measured the bath over time to determine the decrease in the IPA concentration?

Take care,
Neil
Yes Neil I did buy an IPA hydrometer and I do check its concentration regularly. And you’re right of course - that does evaporate. :) But hmm, I hadn’t thought about the water evaporation (if of any significance) increasing the concentration of the Tergitol.

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
Yes Neil I did buy an IPA hydrometer and I do check its concentration regularly. And you’re right of course - that does evaporate. :) But hmm, I hadn’t thought about the water evaporation (if of any significance) increasing the concentration of the Tergitol.
Tony,

How often do you top-off the IPA? How many days before you have to add IPA?

Take care,
Neil

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Oh, @Neil.Antin, one other thing.
Tony,

How often do you top-off the IPA? How many days before you have to add IPA?

Take care,
Neil
It depends. If I do a lot of cleaning in sequence over a matter of several or weeks - IOW with the cover off the tank for very long periods, then I’ll have to top off the IPA after maybe a week or so. But some factors - I have a top off jug of pre-mixed solution that I use to keep the tank level up, so I get the IPA refreshed along with the Tegitol when I do that. Plus I will refresh when I see that the hydrometer tells me the IPA has gone below 2% (temperature corrected of course). So it varies. To counter all that, the cover on my tank seems to provide a very good seal. I did a cleaning with a fresh batch on April 8. Then I put the cover on and went to AXPONA. I just checked this morning to do more records and saw no change from the hydrometer (yes it does show when there is a change :) ). So I just started up another batch and went on my way.

Reactions: Neil.Antin

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
Oh, @Neil.Antin, one other thing.

It depends. If I do a lot of cleaning in sequence over a matter of several or weeks - IOW with the cover off the tank for very long periods, then I’ll have to top off the IPA after maybe a week or so. But some factors - I have a top off jug of pre-mixed solution that I use to keep the tank level up, so I get the IPA refreshed along with the Tegitol when I do that. Plus I will refresh when I see that the hydrometer tells me the IPA has gone below 2% (temperature corrected of course). So it varies. To counter all that, the cover on my tank seems to provide a very good seal. I did a cleaning with a fresh batch on April 8. Then I put the cover on and went to AXPONA. I just checked this morning to do more records and saw no change from the hydrometer (yes it does show when there is a change :) ). So I just started up another batch and went on my way.
Tony,

Thanks for the detailed response - its good info.

Neil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing