I2S cable recommendation?

jazzbug88

Aug 6, 2020
My valve amp combines with pure silver cables, I'd say the whole is in the middle but not lean :cool:
I might shoot RAL an email to ask about the delivery.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Anyone try the Pink Faun i2S?

I think this is the direction I'd consider going...Neutral organic price is on point with everything else. It is however a copper cable and for data I am told pure silver is the best.

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Tubulus Argentus is good and all silver. Currently waiting for the Conceptus.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Tubulus Argentus is good and all silver. Currently waiting for the Conceptus.
Hi Forte,
Any photos and/or info on the Conceptus?
There is no mention of it on their website yet.
Thanks!

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Hey CK,
Here's a copy & paste from an email I got from the folks at Tubulus:
1) The Tubulus Libentus i2s cable V2 has silvered copper conductors
2) The Tubulus Argentus i2s cable has pure silver conductors which are treated with a special thermo process.
3) The new Tubulus Concentus i2s cable is our top model which has pure silver conductors of various diameter individually isolated with air. It also has an extra shielding layer. All this results in more detail, transparency and a wider stage.

The Tubulus Concentus will be on our website within a few months but can already be ordered by mail.

I have been quite satisfied with the Argentus i2s as it has outperformed other digital rca/xlr (Stealth, Acrolink) in my setup. Looking for a "better" cable with more silver, I was going to ask them if they could make a double-run version of Argentus and by chance stumbled upon Concentus while viewing their website.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Do let us know how they compare bro. I’m on the Argentus now. Thank u.

Reactions: Blake

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Just got my Concentus from DHL. Only visual difference is color of cable jacket. Comparison between the Concentus/Argentus is that they have the same sonic traits.
However, Concentus seem to provide more depth and separation of instruments/singers.
To me, it is worth the price difference to go from Argentus to Concentus.
Sorry I have not tried other i2S so can’t comment on the competition.

BC14B3EB-1048-44EB-A88C-6D8A54907F9E.jpeg 11E04BE8-AC8F-45FF-9826-48E1F8174BD9.jpeg

Todcakes

Feb 5, 2021
Just got my Concentus from DHL. Only visual difference is color of cable jacket. Comparison between the Concentus/Argentus is that they have the same sonic traits.
However, Concentus seem to provide more depth and separation of instruments/singers.

@Forte - I guess there’s been a bit of a gap in time on this thread, but I’m also really interested in how the Concentus compares to the Argentus.

Did you give the above sonic impressions quite soon after the cable arrived, and if so, habe you noticed any further differences in the sound as more time has passed / any potential ‘burn in’ progressed?

Thank you in advance for any response on your thoughts...

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
@Forte - I guess there’s been a bit of a gap in time on this thread, but I’m also really interested in how the Concentus compares to the Argentus.

Did you give the above sonic impressions quite soon after the cable arrived, and if so, habe you noticed any further differences in the sound as more time has passed / any potential ‘burn in’ progressed?

Thank you in advance for any response on your thoughts...
Hi Todcakes,
Yes those were my impressions after 7 days burning in 24/7. Only had both for about 2 days to a/b and then the Argentus went on to a new home.

ag3__

Jul 31, 2020
This is excellent news - i compared the Argentus vs. the RAL. The argentus had more body and punch, but lacked the detail and air of the RAL. The new TOTL Tubulus sounds like the perfect combo between the two.

manta_act

Oct 31, 2020
I'll admit that l'm a digital cable sceptic - but l do read with interest the comments and impressions here.
The Tubulus cables have next to zero technical information passed. I can't even determine what gauge wire they are using.
Apart from different coloured sheaving, what is the difference between the Tubulus cable models?
Has anyone taken measurements or done real A/B comparisons?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I admit this is NOT in the budget from the OP...but I am sharing since there are few I2S threads and sometimes people searching for information will simply come here in search of ANY related information.

Here is my write up of the Z:Axis Audio Reference I2S cable which beat the hometown favorite for 10 years which is the Zanden I2S cable which was designed for our Zanden 4-box digital system.

Reactions: Forte

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
LL21, Thanks for the review.
Signal Projects also makes i2S but I didn’t want to go down that rabbit-hole as they have 10 models to choose from.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will say, if I score the Z:Axis as 'the standard' at 100...the Zanden surprisingly scores only a 70. It was that much of a disappointment to put it back in...and from one of the most stalwart Zanden digital fans for 13 years and running...I consider that a huge statement. I really cannot say enough good things about what I am hearing.

Reactions: richard_crl032

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
I will say, if I score the Z:Axis as 'the standard' at 100...the Zanden surprisingly scores only a 70. It was that much of a disappointment to put it back in...and from one of the most stalwart Zanden digital fans for 13 years and running...I consider that a huge statement. I really cannot say enough good things about what I am hearing.
Wow. That is saying quite abit about the Z:Axis.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow. That is saying quite abit about the Z:Axis.
Trust me...I was very surprised. After 10 years, I had listened to 2 I2S cables, and I returned them without thinking twice. And I thought it was never going to get better. And then along comes Paul with his humble but clearly obsessive approach to electronics and design...and he leaves a custom box for a no-pressure trial.

I stuck it in and let it run...and it was clearly better...but as usual, RETURNING to the original was the real test. Wow...I experienced a comparable uplift in performance to when I moved from CJ GAT 1 to CJ GAT 2...possibly more. A comparable uplift in going from Gryphon Colosseum to Mephisto.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just coming back in here after 2 weeks...something positive happened (again) on the I2S this evening. With this latest improvement as it [apparently] continues to break in...I can now say that it is my firm view that the I2S cable of the Zanden 4-box digital actually holds back the digital that one gets from the main circuitry that Yamada San has so brilliantly designed. I am aware that Zanden itself has redone its I2S cable a few years ago...so perhaps Z:Axis Audio's emphasis on quality digital cables is not only its own proof by virtue of its qualities...but it is clear that legendary designers of digital are themselves aware that digital cables make a difference and are improving their own designs as well.

So what happened?

Listening this evening while working...I put on Dark Knight Rises (soundtrack by Hans Zimmer)...and lo and behold, if little ticking clocks started appearing far off in the distance I had not heard before...and certain way-in-the-background string tones actually had very very clear 'electronically controlled warble' to them when these background tones had before always sounded like 'straight notes' for the last several years of owning this soundtrack. Deep bass notes which were thunderous with growl...now the growl is so distinct, you could almost count the warbles in the growl. Generic soft tones during one opening track now actually is like the sound of air swirling in a distinct circle (left to right in a circle).

The music has a much more deft hand in the soft details that play alongside the big crescendos than I had appreciated before. And being able to hear tiny deft nuances and details WHILE you are also hearing crashing crescendos at the same time is supremely impressive.

Well done, Z:Axis Audio.

Reactions: Uk Paul

MattyW

Mar 9, 2021

View attachment 74308 View attachment 74309

Well, based on your feedback I've a 1m Concentus coming. I never did like the Argentus in my system though I recognize the weaknesses were exaggerated by my choice of power amp at the time so I preferred the Audiolund XTreme I2S cable..... An insanely thick and inflexible cable using Duelund tinned copper. It just gave more natural voices between my Soundaware D300REF and Accurate Audio Ultimate D1000 DAC. I've an inkling that the Concentus will prove the better choice now I've the Absolute Audio SIT-A15 power amp in my sound chain (as opposed to my previous Pass Mini Aleph).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing