Incredible L1

R S

Mar 13, 2021
Hello. Quite new here and follow lots of threads with interest - not least CH Precision. I had a question for CH Precision L1 / X1 owners. Is the voltage selector of 110 / 115 / 230v easily changed? The manual suggests its selectable but is this a factory / dealer job or very simple for an owner (layman)? Many thanks for any insight.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you have a preference between these two?

CH between those two. But since you have a Lampi I will go with the one that fits 242 chain best.

That aside CH is more transparent. Both are fast, Mephsito has good bass, but I think it images a bit too much on the hifi toy side for me. In an analog system I would prefer CH over Gryphon.

That best SS system I have heard with Lampi has been audionet stern + heisenberg, so I love that. think the pre and power is amazing.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
CH between those two. But since you have a Lampi I will go with the one that fits 242 chain best.

That aside CH is more transparent.
Interesting, this is not what I am hearing so far. Have you heard Mephisto in a revealing system at length, not in a show conditions?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting, this is not what I am hearing so far. Have you heard Mephisto in a revealing system at length, not in a show conditions?

Yes I compared it to Luxman m900u and the colosseum to Burmester. I never report show conditions unless I specifically mention a show anecdote for some other reason than negative judgement.

The mephisto had better bass than Luxman was faster but had very unnatural pin pointing and centre imaging and the Luxman had better tone. That was on the big tad bookshelves (not a speaker I like at all).

The colosseum and Burmester were both compared on Kef blades and gryphon pantheon I don't like both amps. I have compared Burmester with other amps before and I don't like it and the colosseum had similar virtues. This is all for Magico focal and Wilson type owners and I don't like that sound at all.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian also has Gryphon experience you can ask him what he thinks compared to his CH.

If I had to set up an SS system I would go audionet

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Look forward to hearing what you think after you have had a good amount of time with both.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You should also look at using a valve power amp in front of the CH pre. This works very well with Soulution pre and might work with CH

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
You should also look at using a valve power amp in front of the CH pre. This works very well with Soulution pre and might work with CH
What?:rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Any good PP amp like CAT.

For a very good value try the Chinese audio music 833c 120w amp if it comes up used.

Then you can have one SS pre and alternate two amps

Reactions: MadFloyd

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hello. Quite new here and follow lots of threads with interest - not least CH Precision. I had a question for CH Precision L1 / X1 owners. Is the voltage selector of 110 / 115 / 230v easily changed? The manual suggests its selectable but is this a factory / dealer job or very simple for an owner (layman)? Many thanks for any insight.
Changing input voltage is easy to do. There are two fuses in the fuse holder at the rear. The units MUST be powered off and the power cords DISCONNECTED from the wall socket. If you are a "layman" please have an authorized CH Precision dealer do this for you.

Remove the fuse holder and make sure to note which fuse is on top and which on bottom. Turn the fuse holder so the voltage of choice is visible in the fuse holder window. Re-insert the fuses into the holder, with proper voltage fuses of course. Done. An L1 in the US takes a 500mA T 5mm for the "Standby" fuse and a 3.15A T 5mm for the main fuse. An X1 takes a 500mA T 5mm for the "Standby" and a 5A T 5mm for the main fuse.

Reactions: MadFloyd and R S

R S

Mar 13, 2021
Changing input voltage is easy to do. There are two fuses in the fuse holder at the rear. The units MUST be powered off and the power cords DISCONNECTED from the wall socket. If you are a "layman" please have an authorized CH Precision dealer do this for you.

Remove the fuse holder and make sure to note which fuse is on top and which on bottom. Turn the fuse holder so the voltage of choice is visible in the fuse holder window. Re-insert the fuses into the holder, with proper voltage fuses of course. Done. An L1 in the US takes a 500mA T 5mm for the "Standby" fuse and a 3.15A T 5mm for the main fuse. An X1 takes a 500mA T 5mm for the "Standby" and a 5A T 5mm for the main fuse.
Thank you!! Much appreciated.

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
Gryphon Mephisto vs CH Precision M1 (M1.1 and M1.1 stereo in mono configuration)
As I have owned all of the above power amps for an extended period of time, MY conclusion (which is indeed only my conclusion, not necessarily THE conclusion) is;
Mephisto vs CH P M1, winner = Mephisto.
Mephisto vs CH P M1.1 stereo, no winner, different and both are very enjoyable.
Mephisto vs 2 CH P M1.1 stereo in mono configuration; winner is CH P.
Mephisto Solo vs 2 CH P M1.1 stereo in mono configuration: I don't know, never owned the Mephisto Solo, but can imagine that again it may be very close.
Main difference will remain the transparency, which -to my opinion- so far the CH P M1.1 is the champ. So for those out there who appreciate an extremely detailed and transparent sound stage, you may prefer CH P. Nevertheless, also in previous posts on this subject, I have always mentioned that differences between these amps are clear, but it will depend on personal taste and appreciation which one you prefer. You actually can't go wrong with either one of them. It would be interesting to include the now available CH P M10 (instead of the M1.1 mono) but as my business has been extremely hard hit by the Corona pandemic, I can't dream of that for the time being.....
The difference between the Pandora and the L1 is much easier to decide on, but that is not the discussion here....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Like Danon Han, I use large format loudspeakers and have a similarly sized dedicated and treated room. I have been using a full CH chain with M1 Monos for some years now and wholly agree that transparency is the CH hallmark.

I skipped the M1.1 upgrade however because of logistical issues and the sad fact that I lost my most trusted technician to illness.

What I did do is move to the L10 and M10 monos two months ago. I will update my system page hopefully by this weekend. What I will say here is that after experiencing the L10 and M10, I am now waiting for CH Precision to design and build a 10 series DAC and Phono.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Gryphon Mephisto vs CH Precision M1 (M1.1 and M1.1 stereo in mono configuration)
As I have owned all of the above power amps for an extended period of time, MY conclusion (which is indeed only my conclusion, not necessarily THE conclusion) is;
Mephisto vs CH P M1, winner = Mephisto.
Mephisto vs CH P M1.1 stereo, no winner, different and both are very enjoyable.
Mephisto vs 2 CH P M1.1 stereo in mono configuration; winner is CH P.
Mephisto Solo vs 2 CH P M1.1 stereo in mono configuration: I don't know, never owned the Mephisto Solo, but can imagine that again it may be very close.
Main difference will remain the transparency, which -to my opinion- so far the CH P M1.1 is the champ. So for those out there who appreciate an extremely detailed and transparent sound stage, you may prefer CH P. Nevertheless, also in previous posts on this subject, I have always mentioned that differences between these amps are clear, but it will depend on personal taste and appreciation which one you prefer. You actually can't go wrong with either one of them. It would be interesting to include the now available CH P M10 (instead of the M1.1 mono) but as my business has been extremely hard hit by the Corona pandemic, I can't dream of that for the time being.....
The difference between the Pandora and the L1 is much easier to decide on, but that is not the discussion here....
I'd love to know what the 'clear' differences are between the two amps. As a happy CH owner I am merely curious and don't expect to ever be in a position to learn firsthand.

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I am also curious about this clear difference, that everyone hears:) Maybe I am deaf or my system is not resolving enough. There is a difference, but it’s not night and day. To me CH is a bit softer, more forgiving than Mephisto. Mephisto has more punch and better controls the speakers. Again, for 90% of listening at normal volume levels these small differences are irrelevant. Please, find below the 2 short videos I’ve made just for illustration purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDX

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Control is subjective to speaker, possible Wilson is controlled better by gryphon. I have heard CH on Wilson Alexandria X2S2 they control them fine not heard gryphon on them

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can you play some other recording as well as change valves on the Lampi for this one? When people say CH is transparent they expect the character to change accordingly in each of the above scenarios. In the one video you put up the Gryphon sounds marginally better but it may be the amp color

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I agree that CH is transparent, but in my system Gryphon is as transparent as CH. I have the best available tubes on my GG at the moment: Takatsuki recti + RK PX25. Tried 242s, unfortunately they distort with L1. Maybe I’ll play another recording, and you will prefer CH. It won’t prove anything imho. You will not hear a difference in transparency on YouTube video between these 2 amplifiers. They are both transparent enough;)
Maybe it’s just me, but I would have a very hard time choosing between these 2 when they are driven by the wonderful L1.

Reactions: ctydwn and MadFloyd

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Both sound great, Abeidrov! What a great decision for you to make. From the videos (with all the caveats that are appropriate), I do like the tonal density/power of the instrument I sense from violin when it begins. That is a characteristic of Gryphon I know from owning Mephisto and 2 other Gryphon amps over the last 10+ years...in fact, that is probably even more my favorite aspect of Gryphon over and above its obvious bass power/foundation. 1:05 - 1:09 on both is a good example for me of the density/intensity/power difference between the 2.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing