Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
In my system the sound quality of XDMS is clearly better than Roon.

Hopefully I will get my Olympus XDMI in May, so after I ship back my Extreme, no more XDMS for me for a while, only Roon.

Since many XDMS users/testers will be converting to Olympus, Taiko will probably lose most of the XDMS alpha testers. We will be back months later when testing of the Olympus XDMS becomes available.
Actually not....as I understand it, XDMS will be released about 3 months after release of Olympus when it is tried and true and fully functional. Whether XDMS will continue to be available for Extreme users, I think so but not 100% certain

Reactions: Armsan
Actually not....as I understand it, XDMS will be released about 3 months after release of Olympus when it is tried and true and fully functional. Whether XDMS will continue to be available for Extreme users, I think so but not 100% certain
Dear Steve, The info that the Olympus XDMS should be released about three months after the release of the Olympus is good news! Thanks

I got the same files from Marty and I did feel the .wav was not that noticeably better but my understanding is Marty is using a different tool I converting to .wav which has made the huge sonic improvement. I know Ed visited Marty last week and Ed reports that he was stunned as to how much better Marty's .wav files sounded in comparison to Flac , so much so that there are some plans to delve further into this and make it a reality for XDMS. Right now as I understand it in Qobuz the files are converted to .wav and that is what we hear presently BUT Marty is converting using a different tool which has caught the interest of Ed so thanks to cat6man it seems there we can all look forward to this being implemented
I honestly can't remember what files I gave to whom. But I think I also received files from Steve as well. (I might do a little better if you asked me what I ate for lunch yesterday, but don't count on it!). What I do know is that I do not pay much attention to format any more. After the switch, router and DCD, it's just all music to me and it's all good. Wav, flac, Hi Rez, Red book, I honestly don't pay attention. I do use XDMS about 10% of the time, depending what I listen to, and Roon for the remainder because it works well functionally and allows me to use my playlists which have been crafted over decades. Plus I love the Roon "liner notes" that educate me about the music which is important for my style of listening, especially when exploring new music (even if it's 100+ years old- its often new to me!)

Oops, I just figured out you all are referring to a different Marty. The clue was I had no recollection of anyone named Ed visiting me last week!

I just revisited the original 3 files Marty sent me in December
Very close
The Duke Ellington .wav file gets the nod for me
The other 2 a toss-up, especially Baby Blue

thanks!
i've got additional files at the link back a page or so. now there are flac, wav-db and wav-ff to compare.
can you tell us what dac you use and what your dac settings are in xdms? also, which version of xdms are you using?

Last edited:
Emile, do you have a back view of the Olympus XDMI with it‘s various outputs and IEC inlet from the assembly line? I want to check, if I need to rearrange the rack / placing of cables due to the inlet being on the other side (compared to the Extreme). I think you mentioned this somewhere… Cheers!

Emile, do you have a back view of the Olympus XDMI with it‘s various outputs and IEC inlet from the assembly line? I want to check, if I need to rearrange the rack / placing of cables due to the inlet being on the other side (compared to the Extreme). I think you mentioned this somewhere… Cheers!

Yes correct. Looking at the back side the IEC is on the left side, XDMI on the right side. I wanted to hold out sharing more detailed photos until we can pickup the first batch of chassis parts from the anodising company, which was confirmed to be in the next few days :)

Yes correct. Looking at the back side the IEC is on the left side, XDMI on the right side. I wanted to hold out sharing more detailed photos until we can pickup the first batch of chassis parts from the anodising company, which was confirmed to be in the next few days :)
Can you share the orientation of the central pin? In other words where the „nose“/narrow part is pointing towards (Up/down/left/right)?
The powercords these days are rather unwieldy…

Hello,

Long time lurker and considering a used Extreme in the near future. I certainly hope XDMS continues to be available for Extreme users as I don't have Roon nor do I want it.

Hello,

Long time lurker and considering a used Extreme in the near future. I certainly hope XDMS continues to be available for Extreme users as I don't have Roon nor do I want it.
perhaps @Taiko Audio or @EuroDriver can provide an answer to your question. I do know it won't be available for the Olympus until it is a finished product. I read recently in a post by one of the Taiko team (Emile I think) that XDMS for the Olympus is somewhat different I. development than the Extreme but I way above my pay grade here so perhaps Emil, Ed or Christiaan could answer this question. I don't think I have read an answer to that in Discord

Reactions: audio42
thanks!
i've got additional files at the link back a page or so. now there are flac, wav-db and wav-ff to compare.
can you tell us what dac you use and what your dac settings are in xdms? also, which version of xdms are you using?

and just to be clear, there is no right or wrong answer here. if some hear a big difference and others don't, that is still part of a big clue and we don't know where that will lead since we don't don't know the exact mechanism at play here

Can you share the orientation of the central pin? In other words where the „nose“/narrow part is pointing towards (Up/down/left/right)?
The powercords these days are rather unwieldy…
Is the Olympus to be totally battery powered? And if so, wouldn’t the influence of special power cords now be a non factor?

and just to be clear, there is no right or wrong answer here. if some hear a big difference and others don't, that is still part of a big clue and we don't know where that will lead since we don't don't know the exact mechanism at play here

I tried to do some research to understand if flac and wav order the bits differently. I couldn’t find anything useful.

thanks!
DAC is MSB SII with Digital Director
No XDMS just Roon

Is the Olympus to be totally battery powered? And if so, wouldn’t the influence of special power cords now be a non factor?
Some parts are, others like aren‘t. That‘s why the powercord still has an/some influence.

Emile, not to start a futile powercord discussion, just one general question: Does the guideline that the Extreme prefers high-current „amp“ powercords (vs source specific ones) also apply to the Olympus?

I tried to do some research to understand if flac and wav order the bits differently. I couldn’t find anything useful.

i have no idea how flac does it, i just found that wav, by design, puts the lsb, then padding, then msb--so it needs to be reconstructed to create a single sample. but i'm much more intrigued by why two WAV files would be different. if you're interested, here are the detailed media info files.

Attachments

• mediainfo-ff.txt
    75.6 KB · Views: 8
  • mediainfo-db.txt
    81.2 KB · Views: 4
from the dbpoweramp users forum, a response from the moderator:

"If you can convert the file with dBpoweramp to WAV, then any program using the standard flac libraries (which is pretty much every audio program, except ffmpeg) will be able read the file."

this implies to me that ffmpeg is using something other than the 'standard flac libraries'

Hello,

Participation in the XDMS alpha testing program will only be available for Extreme owners.

Future stable versions of XDMS will be available on both the Extreme and the Olympus.

There will not be a testing program for XDMS on the Olympus, when XDMS for Olympus launches it will be a stable fully functional version, that version will not have gapless / track manipulation "issues" as the sound quality enhancing features causing that are solved in hardware in the Olympus. Aka those need to be stripped from XDMS for the Olympus which will make it stable at the same time.

We have a XDMS meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning, we'll post a larger update after that meeting in the more relevant XDMS thread.

Yes, we actually managed to adjust the Olympus to now be fully battery powered. I will dig into the details on how we did that when time permits, aka when the first batch of Olympus servers is powered up and running. Unfortunately the power cord still makes a difference, less impactful then with the Extreme for which it's more or less mandatory, but still very audible. It does sound good with a stock power cord, but still better with something .. better :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing