Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
Can it accept the clock frequencies of the dCS clocks ( 44.1 and 48kHz and multiples ) or just an external 10 MHz clock, as can be fed to the dCS master clock?

We currently have 2 daughterboards available.

1) a daughterboard containing a DAC and an analogue output stage with stereo RCA out.

2) a daughterboard with XLR AES out and RCA SPDIF out.

None of these 2 boards are designed to accept an external masterclock nor do they provide masterclock.

If there’s (enough of) a demand for it we can design a daughterboard with this functionality though as the baseboard architecture allows these features.

I might miss the posts but how Extreme outputs to Olympus I/O? Through Extreme network card?

XDMI is a modular system. It consists of:

1) software
2) a baseboard which houses the core of the system.
3) daughterboards which provide the interface to either your DAC or your Preamplifier.
4) A transparent interconnect system allowing you to situate the baseboard and daughterboards in an external chassis.

None of these 4 parts have been available before and all are new designs.

The Olympus XDMI server includes the first 3 parts of this system.

The Olympus XDMI I/O includes all 4 parts of this system.

Your question specifically addresses part 4 of the XDMI system, the interconnect system allowing you to situate the baseboard and daughterboards in an external chassis which is the Olympus I/O.

Olympus I/O does not only move XDMI from the server to its chassis, it also moves the network card to its chassis, therefor it uses 2 of the interconnect systems described in 4)

This interconnect system consists of 3 parts:
1) A PCIe interface card providing a QFSP output
2) A QFSP cable
3) A receiver card with a QFSP input and a PCIe slot which allows you to connect your XDMI baseboard, or network card, or even USB card

You could call this a PCIe extender, but that does not do the design justice, those do exist already, but they deteriorate PCIe performance while our solution improves PCIe performance, even over the PCIe slots which are mounted directly on the motherboard inside the server.

Kudos to Taiko. 50 orders pre launch. That is an impressive rolodex of wealthy audiophiles that have significant trust in Team Taiko. I am sure that is more than justified,

Are the majority (all) of orders XDMI…? That might explain limited I/O orders for current Extreme owners given proportionately narrower price gap when including the XDMI.

I hope to be able to jump on at some point but its a big jump for me.

PS: NSM is amazing!

All appear to be XDMI (minus 1 so far). But I’m still working my way through all the orders / enquiries so maybe more will turn up.

1) a daughterboard containing a DAC and an analogue output stage with stereo RCA out.

None of these 2 boards are designed to accept an external masterclock nor do they provide masterclock.

If there’s (enough of) a demand for it we can design a daughterboard with this functionality though as the baseboard architecture allows these features.
Hi Emile. Did I read earlier that option 1) may have a volume control so a preamp may not be required?

Hi Emile. Did I read earlier that option 1) may have a volume control so a preamp may not be required?

It does not have volume control. We are however interested in adding one in the future, mainly as part of providing a direct headphone output module.

@EuroDriver is investigating volume control options for XDMS.

But right now, we have no volume control with the exception of Roon's built in software volume control but I would not really recommend that as an audiophile solution. However it could be one in the future if we would link that to a microprocessor based /hardware volume control.

have to ask.....how do you stabilize/support that floor, or is it wood flooring over concrete?
I have considered doing this which I know is a TAD BIT INSANE: My log home's foundation is very similar as Steve's @oldmustang. The house is built very stout. I know because I was part of the construction. Poured pillars 2 X12 16 on center. with 2" flooring/subfloor. I do not have a basement but a crawl space. It starts out where you can stand and then it gets shorter, around 3.5'. I don't get any vibration, rattling, or anything like that. However what I have considered is placing lally columns under the listening area. Lally columns are nothing more than a threaded adjustable posts with plates on each end. You can raise or lower the plates. By doing this it's almost like an acoustical application. It would just further snug/shore up that corner where the gear is. 4 -5 columns would most likely be enough. Just from a physics point of view it makes sense. I could even make the top plate even bigger to cover say 2-3 floor joists....

@John T if you did develop the lally-post concept, would you consider a heavy felt or dense rubber between the top-plate and column top? I wonder if that would somewhat decouple the crawlspace assembly. I have seen that approach used in acoustic wall designs and heavy machinery mounts. It might act as a constrained-layer solution for vibrations at lower frequencies? Just spit-ballin' here...but I wonder. Hope all good down there.

Reactions: 2ndLiner and John T
@John T if you did develop the lally-post concept, would you consider a heavy felt or dense rubber between the top-plate and column top? I wonder if that would somewhat decouple the crawlspace assembly. I have seen that approach used in acoustic wall designs and heavy machinery mounts. It might act as a constrained-layer solution for vibrations at lower frequencies? Just spit-ballin' here...but I wonder. Hope all good down there.
I've considered several options Mark and one was rubberized/felt over the top plate. If I were to cover say a 4' X 4' span, say 3/4" or 1" with a decoupling barrier between the top plate and joists (3 joists) I think it would provide full benefits. I would also screw that top plate into the joists to have even distribution. Or weld a large metal plate over the top smaller plate. (better idea) This could be 1/4"- 1/2" instead of the thicker wood plate. I don't really think it would negate anything more than what I have now, only enhance? We are talking about a big room. 30' X 26 ' X 26'H. I would most likely overlap the entire audio space, it's something I've been rolling around in my head for some time now.
All is good here, I'm behaving. No welding projects, wood is prepared so none of that toil. Just loading the boiler. I'm being a good Boring Pilgrim! Lots of walking..

Last edited:
Ahh, but there's the rub.....it's called "letting go and learning a new pradigm"....I'm a slow learner and still am of the hope that Lukasz will come to the rescue
I totally agree with and understand you here. Many elements of the digital world confuse the hell out of me so once I get things working and sounding good I’m hesitant to change anything. However, the bleeding edge digital train moves very fast and it’s probably best to try and stay aboard.

XDMI is a modular system. It consists of:

1) software
2) a baseboard which houses the core of the system.
3) daughterboards which provide the interface to either your DAC or your Preamplifier.
4) A transparent interconnect system allowing you to situate the baseboard and daughterboards in an external chassis.

None of these 4 parts have been available before and all are new designs.

The Olympus XDMI server includes the first 3 parts of this system.

The Olympus XDMI I/O includes all 4 parts of this system.

Your question specifically addresses part 4 of the XDMI system, the interconnect system allowing you to situate the baseboard and daughterboards in an external chassis which is the Olympus I/O.

Olympus I/O does not only move XDMI from the server to its chassis, it also moves the network card to its chassis, therefor it uses 2 of the interconnect systems described in 4)

This interconnect system consists of 3 parts:
1) A PCIe interface card providing a QFSP output
2) A QFSP cable
3) A receiver card with a QFSP input and a PCIe slot which allows you to connect your XDMI baseboard, or network card, or even USB card

You could call this a PCIe extender, but that does not do the design justice, those do exist already, but they deteriorate PCIe performance while our solution improves PCIe performance, even over the PCIe slots which are mounted directly on the motherboard inside the server.
Thanks.

It seems to me that if you thought a masterclock was necessary for optimum sound, you would have included a connector on the daughterboard from the outset. Can you kindly expand your thoughts on this? Other digital systems use optional and often very expensive (25K) masterclocks which they claim are required for peak performance. Yet it seems that you consider this a "perhaps nice to have" but not a "must have" for top level sound. Is this more of an incremental value proposition for Taiko that is just not necessary or desirable for the XDMI architecture, or something else that you can share?

Reactions: microstrip
I have considered doing this which I know is a TAD BIT INSANE: My log home's foundation is very similar as Steve's @oldmustang. The house is built very stout. I know because I was part of the construction. Poured pillars 2 X12 16 on center. with 2" flooring/subfloor. I do not have a basement but a crawl space. It starts out where you can stand and then it gets shorter, around 3.5'. I don't get any vibration, rattling, or anything like that. However what I have considered is placing lally columns under the listening area. Lally columns are nothing more than a threaded adjustable posts with plates on each end. You can raise or lower the plates. By doing this it's almost like an acoustical application. It would just further snug/shore up that corner where the gear is. 4 -5 columns would most likely be enough. Just from a physics point of view it makes sense. I could even make the top plate even bigger to cover say 2-3 floor joists....
Hey John! I would posit that for most of us the "TAD BIT INSANE" train left the station quite some time ago!

Good morning WBF!

Today we are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies over the course of it's life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding it's ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model today, called the Olympus. Hierarchically it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience then the Extreme, or any other server I've heard for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions as sound staging, dynamics, colour palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed as we are to keeping the Extreme as current as possible we are introducing a second product today, called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate it's performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

There are many technological advanced innovations in the Olympus, describing them all will take time and will make this introduction piece hard to digest, we will add bits and pieces of information over the coming days. For now I'll just say that the best way to describe it in short is that we have eliminated a large number of intermediate processing steps and conversions, in both hardware and software, for a more direct, more streamlined, more purist "signal path". I will post a graphical presentation in the following posts which we made in an attempt to provide an as clear as possible overview of the Olympus product series. Pricing and availability information to follow later as well.
What’s the upgrade path for an Extreme owner? Cost wise? Thank you

We currently only have analog stereo RCA out and digital RCA SPDIF, BNC SPDIF and XLR AES/EBU.
It would be nice to be able to use two DAC’s with the Olympus. Is that going to be possible for those of us who have had to swap USB cables for the DAC in use with the Extreme.

One issue I have on my side is the trade in value being lower due to an early purchase of the Extreme (lucky me!), but that adds to a significant investment due to the lower trade-in and unfortunately makes the O out of reasonable reach for me. Adding to that I appreciate the very creative solution in isolating the cards, in the IO, although I appreciate it muddles the low noise end-to-end signal path for XDMI. But hey, it’s great to have options!
I think they should give the current market price of €28,000 as a trade since with inflation both the new and used costs have gone up. This should carry over with the trade in my opinion. It would also make things easier for creating a standard price rather than many different price quotes on trade ins. Make it a standard €28k and call it a day. Just my 2¢ @Taiko Audio

...there are too many variables to standardize trade-in pricing, including the actual price you paid. IMO the trade-in allowance described by Emile, including a 5K intro discount, is very fair, bordering on generous. Just my 2c.
Totally agree. Emile is being more than fair. I think when the smoke settles and the reviews start being posted , my bet is people will be kicking themselves that they weren’t early adopters and didn’t benefit from the discounts offered. Yes the cost of goods is always rising as is everything put into R and D I can only imagine what the past few years has cost Emile . This is all because we have a company whose mantra has always been to seek the best sound quality and to never make improvements if it costs in sound quality. My bet is the price is going to go up and there will be no further discounts. What really swayed me was the uptick from all of this is greater still than with just NSM. That’s tough to wrap my head around. For me I’m thinking this just could be end game.

i‘ve been listening to NSM all day today and it left the hair on my arms sticking up. I still say even if you’re Roon for life you owe it go yourself to hear NSM which is only going to get better.FWIW I listened to Roon today and it sounded really good. NSM is an event however that needs to be experienced by all

I have no pony in this game other than like everyone who reads this thread , we strive for the best SQ in digital. I believe Taiko has crossed that barrier and what is being released now and what is still in the minds of Emile and his team, yet to be created keeps me totally committed.

I think he has when he announced the pricing and all of the discussion afterwards.

I do agree with your comment about speaking for Emile.
I just thought it would be easier to have standard numbers. Again to me it makes no difference, but I was suggesting this as an easier solution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing