Introducing the LampizatOr Poseidon DAC

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Can the Poseidon run el34/el51/kt88/ktXX/etc-type tubes in the output? On the flip side, there is chatter on the TRP thread of using the 6J5 (supplied with Poseidon) in the TRP, but are they electrically compatible both ways? Both DACs user manuals list 6V6 tubes as compatible output tubes, FWIW...

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I’ve just had a crazy idea:) What if I replace my GG2 and CHP L1 with Poseidon? I can’t afford Poseidon on its own, but if it is so good as a line stage… Any thoughts?

Merry Christmas to everyone!
The L1 is an incredible line stage, and with the X1 is the best I've heard in my system. Given that the line stage in the Horizon is significantly bettered by my Stern and in turn the L1 is slightly ahead of the Stern, I struggle to believe the line stage in the Poseidon will outperform your L1.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
I should also share that the tube rolling experimentation has commenced!

1706811124091.png

In the parlor now is a Poseidon DAC with TP adapters sporting Tungsram a pv4200 rectifier, ECC40s and 4654 tubes.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I should also share that the tube rolling experimentation has commenced!

@takacs75 may I suggest TP anode cap hat/tube stabilizers? The varying angle of the anode tops might be too much for the OCD in some of us...

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
We are live at the Florida Audio Expo 2024!

Please join us in the Westshore Ballroom as the Poseidon makes it's world debut on the incredible Acora Acoustics VRC statement speakers and latest VAC Statement electronics.

We're already making a very special sound you won't want to miss!

DSG Rob

May 8, 2019
We are live at the Florida Audio Expo 2024!

Please join us in the Westshore Ballroom as the Poseidon makes it's world debut on the incredible Acora Acoustics VRC statement speakers and latest VAC Statement electronics.

We're already making a very special sound you won't want to miss!
Some eye candy pics of our room. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20240215_125012.jpg
    20240215_125012.jpg
    904.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20240215_124959.jpg
    20240215_124959.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 20240216_113426.jpg
    20240216_113426.jpg
    997.5 KB · Views: 103

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Some eye candy pics of our room. Enjoy!

Gorgeous room, congrats Rob + Fred!

Any opportunity to run phono pre into the Poseidon as a preamp?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Gorgeous room, congrats Rob + Fred!

Any opportunity to run phono pre into the Poseidon as a preamp?
Unfortunately this is probably not the correct venue for shootouts, but I'm sure there will be plenty of feedback on the Poseidon as a preamp in the weeks to come, now that they've begun shipping.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
For those planning on making it to the South West Audio Fest in Dallas next week, we cordially invite you to visit with us in one of the two fabulous rooms we will feature the Poseidon DAC in, both along side truly world class partners.

In the Carpenter Ballroom we will feature a Poseidon along side Acora Acoustics, VAC and Cadas Audio with the following equipment:

Acora VRC
VAC Statement 450 iQ Monoblocs
VAC Statement Line Stage
Aurender N30SA
VAC Statement Phono Stage
VPI Titan
Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond

This will be a true statement system.

In room 1418 we will also feature a Poseidon DAC alongside Songer Audio and Traufomatic with the following gear:

Songer Audio S1 speakers
Traufomatic - 300B Integrated amplifier
Innuous Statement source

Both of these rooms are a tried and true synergy which we look forward to presenting for you.

See you there!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Not really sure how to start this post but as some may know, and I repeated this in several posts, I've had luck to own or hear many, or should I say, almost all Lampi DACs in their portfolio for the last 7/8 years.
Hence I have a basic understanding on how each of them sound and their differences to certain extent. Here into the picture comes their latest development named Poseidon. Knowing its development coming after Horizon and being placed on the stair below it, this is an interesting unit as such.
As I wanted to have a proper listening sessions in my system and the only option was to buy one, that is actually what I did. I ordered one quite a while ago and as the unit was done like at the beginning of December I had to wait almost for additional 3 months to get it done in the way I wanted to have it - being Duracell color combo with the real copper top (no half solutions with painted "copper" top). Moving from blah blah to the point (s):

Packaging: Standard Lampi flight case which I like except this time much more neatly packed inside even compared to the time I received my Horizon. Less of that spongy foam protection and all tip top. Tubes packed in a unified box (if you have/had Pacific with RK tubes you know what I talk about) and the box is super nice. Printed Poseidon marketing stuff, tech sheet and warranty card. All things considered very nice and visible improvement in this department vs few years ago.

DAC look & feel: Well here things got a massive improvement vs Pacific and GG2/3 and these units You can not put into same bucket even if you would want to. Just other universe and resemblance with Horizon chassis quality and craftmanship is remarkable. Unit is heavy (less vs H) but still it delivers in this aspect. I personally love the OLED display as it shows all needed information in sense of inputs, Volume level, bypass and it even greets you during turn on/off cycle. Personally I would rather have this OLED on Horizon than those two Nixie tubes but that is just heavy personal opinion/liking. Back panel with connectors is clean and neat and looks great.

Tubes: Included were Russian rectie and 6n1p while right bank was with some Chinese 6V6 (Shugunag I would say). As i don't have any other versions of these tubes I used only those which came with the DAC. Reading some impressions about 6j5 I assume this unit might go significantly up in sense of performance with proper tube rolling.

UX and sound: setting it up is a smooth sailing and what I did not mention but i guess its a known fact as with Baltic 3, Horizon and now Poseidon all are SE and BAL capable where with Horizon and Poseidon you also get VC as a default option. To state in advance I did not use it as a preamp so no idea how it does but basically what i read is that VC inside is even better than on the Horizon. As I'm not using it on H I can't judge - I love my Tobian too much.
I come now to the part which is the most important one - does it deliver as a DAC itself and how does it compare to Horizon and potentially to Pacific (I'm talking here based on my memory so take it with a grain of salt and Pac 1 not 2). Starting from the later, lets just say for the same price point they are at, I would never ever in a state of sane mind get Pacific vs Poseidon. Poseidon is just a much more elaborated unit by any means physically and sound wise its character is in the Horizon ballpark meaning that it took best out of Pacific and Golden Gate and delivers it as a one package. You get sweetness and tone color of tubes from GG and dynamics, heft and HFs delivery from Pacific. And of course you don't need quads of DHTs etc. hence you wallet and wife loves you more.
Listening to it, if I'm very honest, I did not miss my Horizon as such due to signature which is very similar and I thoroughly enjoyed it at every step. So overall it is a very very well balanced unit with beautiful tone delivery, staging which is pinpoint precise, with very reveling details (not fatiguing ones) fast and precise bass and extended HF. Despite being tube unit there is no syrup ingredients in the signature and this is something which I love with Lampi DACs. After writing the above, logical question will arise - but where the hell is Horizon better then. Except emptying your wallet more and braking your back more, once i placed it back on the rack it just becomes apparent after literally one song that Horizon is still at the top of the food chain. In sense of all mentioned things its just delivers more of everything. Is the difference massive? No, it is not but it is evident and if you are chasing last 5,6,7,8% and you have the means, you will get Horizon. If you are not that crazy and Poseidon is in your cost range get it and never look back.
It just delivers by any possible means and you'll have a wonderful fulfilled life with it without looking over the fence what is better, more expensive etc. And as I said before - take into account possible tube rolling which will elevate the performance further.
Fantastic job done again by Yoda and his team!

Anyhow I hope this short overview might help you in your decision making if you're considering a DAC in this price range.
As always few pics...
20075FD5-A1B4-4D13-AECA-54B4AD249C6D.jpeg 32668934-982E-4C5C-8ABC-41AD821CF360.jpeg 87CB34B2-1E1E-4C26-80DE-52C6DA863DA2.jpeg IMG_3412.jpeg 2857C014-D8F1-4DA5-80E7-E405914F0C3E.jpeg 45D295AC-1760-4230-9AAA-B653ADF29C6C.jpeg 317E20D0-C3EF-4354-916A-AC020F099D62.jpeg

Last edited:

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Great report @Golum, really helpful and I feel the value proposition is loud and clear. Especially since it can also serve as a preamp for other gear.

• Love
Reactions: Golum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Not really sure how to start this post but as some may know, and I repeated this in several posts, I've had luck to own or hear many, or should I say, almost all Lampi DACs in their portfolio for the last 7/8 years.
Hence I have a basic understanding on how each of them sound and their differences to certain extent. Here into the picture comes their latest development named Poseidon. Knowing its development coming after Horizon and being placed on the stair below it, this is an interesting unit as such.
As I wanted to have a proper listening sessions in my system and the only option was to buy one, that is actually what I did. I ordered one quite a while ago and as the unit was done like at the beginning of December I had to wait almost for additional 3 months to get it done in the way I wanted to have it - being Duracell color combo with the real copper top (no half solutions with painted "copper" top). Moving from blah blah to the point (s):

Packaging: Standard Lampi flight case which I like except this time much more neatly packed inside even compared to the time I received my Horizon. Less of that spongy foam protection and all tip top. Tubes packed in a unified box (if you have/had Pacific with RK tubes you know what I talk about) and the box is super nice. Printed Poseidon marketing stuff, tech sheet and warranty card. All things considered very nice and visible improvement in this department vs few years ago.

DAC look & feel: Well here things got a massive improvement vs Pacific and GG2/3 and these units You can not put into same bucket even if you would want to. Just other universe and resemblance with Horizon chassis quality and craftmanship is remarkable. Unit is heavy (less vs H) but still it delivers in this aspect. I personally love the OLED display as it shows all needed information in sense of inputs, Volume level, bypass and it even greets you during turn on/off cycle. Personally I would rather have this OLED on Horizon than those two Nixie tubes but that is just heavy personal opinion/liking. Back panel with connectors is clean and neat and looks great.

Tubes: Included were Russian rectie and 6n1p while right bank was with some Chinese 6V6 (Shugunag I would say). As i don't have any other versions of these tubes I used only those which came with the DAC. Reading some impressions about 6j5 I assume this unit might go significantly up in sense of performance with proper tube rolling.

UX and sound: setting it up is a smooth sailing and what I did not mention but i guess its a known fact as with Baltic 3, Horizon and now Poseidon all are SE and BAL capable where with Horizon and Poseidon you also get VC as a default option. To state in advance I did not use it as a preamp so no idea how it does but basically what i read is that VC inside is even better than on the Horizon. As I'm not using it on H I can't judge - I love my Tobian too much.
I come now to the part which is the most important one - does it deliver as a DAC itself and how does it compare to Horizon and potentially to Pacific (I'm talking here based on my memory so take it with a grain of salt and Pac 1 not 2). Starting from the later, lets just say for the same price point they are at, I would never ever in a state of sane mind get Pacific vs Poseidon. Poseidon is just a much more elaborated unit by any means physically and sound wise its character is in the Horizon ballpark meaning that it took best out of Pacific and Golden Gate and delivers it as a one package. You get sweetness and tone color of tubes from GG and dynamics, heft and HFs delivery from Pacific. And of course you don't need quads of DHTs etc. hence you wallet and wife loves you more.
Listening to it, if I'm very honest, I did not miss my Horizon as such due to signature which is very similar and I thoroughly enjoyed it at every step. So overall it is a very very well balanced unit with beautiful tone delivery, staging which is pinpoint precise, with very reveling details (not fatiguing ones) fast and precise bass and extended HF. Despite being tube unit there is no syrup ingredients in the signature and this is something which I love with Lampi DACs. After writing the above, logical question will arise - but where the hell is Horizon better then. Except emptying your wallet more and braking your back more, once i placed it back on the rack it just becomes apparent after literally one song that Horizon is still at the top of the food chain. In sense of all mentioned things its just delivers more of everything. Is the difference massive? No, it is not but it is evident and if you are chasing last 5,6,7,8% and you have the means, you will get Horizon. If you are not that crazy and Poseidon is in your cost range get it and never look back.
It just delivers by any possible means and you'll have a wonderful fulfilled life with it without looking over the fence what is better, more expensive etc. And as I said before - take into account possible tube rolling which will elevate the performance further.

Anyhow I hope this short overview might help you in your decision making if you're considering a DAC in this price range.
As always few pics...
View attachment 127069 View attachment 127070 View attachment 127071 View attachment 127072 View attachment 127073 View attachment 127074 View attachment 127075
Have you already tried different tubes in the Poseidon?

I wonder how the PAC2 and the Poseidon compare sonically.
Btw. the PAC2 is WAY better sounding than the PAC1, that is also not a contest, at all :oops:

When I was about to decide if I upgrade my PAC to PAC2 or change entirely to the Poseidon, my stash of DHTs swayed me in the direction of the PAC2.
That was without being able to compare the Poseidon and the PAC2 directly, obviously :eek:

Reactions: Blake

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Have you already tried different tubes in the Poseidon? - Nope as i don't have any neither I was in a mood of buying

I wonder how the PAC2 and the Poseidon compare sonically. - As I said it was vs my memory of Pac 1. Question mark vs Pac 2. Options and build quality just other universe - no comparison. Like Fiat vs Ferrari
Btw. the PAC2 is WAY better sounding than the PAC1, that is also not a contest, at all :oops: - I read about it...

When I was about to decide if I upgrade my PAC to PAC2 or change entirely to the Poseidon, my stash of DHTs swayed me in the direction of the PAC2. - Totally rational decision but still DHTs are sellable so other option was maybe also viable
That was without being able to compare the Poseidon and the PAC2 directly, obviously :eek:
Classic corporate way of answering :D:cool:

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Time to start rollin’
how about these ?
’65 triple mica, very dht like. ;)
IMG_2631.jpeg

takacs75

Nov 17, 2020
Hungary

As always few pics...
View attachment 127069 View attachment 127070 View attachment 127071 View attachment 127072 View attachment 127073 View attachment 127074 View attachment 127075
:)

Attachments

• 9f17d358-eaa9-45e2-ba73-61df6a641327.jpeg
    9f17d358-eaa9-45e2-ba73-61df6a641327.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 25

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I wonder Gollum if you would try both, i.e. using Horizon as just dac and Poseidon as preamp. Since one can buy the Poseidon without the dac as a standalone preamp, I feel that this would be wonderful information and you are in a unique position to do it. If you don’t want to, I understand.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I wonder how the PAC2 and the Poseidon compare sonically.
Btw. the PAC2 is WAY better sounding than the PAC1, that is also not a contest, at all :oops:

When I was about to decide if I upgrade my PAC to PAC2 or change entirely to the Poseidon, my stash of DHTs swayed me in the direction of the PAC2.

Assuming a relatively similar DAC circuitry between the Pacific-2 and the Poseidon, one would also then assume that a lot of the magic in the Poseidon has to do with the preamplifier stage. Wonder if any translatable preamplifier output stage can be combined w/ the DHT circuitry for a Pacific 3? :cool: @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Reactions: Birdwatcher

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
one would also then assume that a lot of the magic in the Poseidon has to do with the preamplifier stage
I had the Poseidon in my listening room, great gear, but I think the preamp stage is not in the path, if you just use the DAC mode. Different output ports are there either. The only thing that wonders me is, that you have to switch the volume level to full level at start up.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I had the Poseidon in my listening room, great gear, but I think the preamp stage is not in the path, if you just use the DAC mode. Different output ports are there either. The only thing that wonders me is, that you have to switch the volume level to full level at start up.
Yes i would agree with first part when You use it in DAC mode.
I don't get the other part. What do you mean by switch to full level after start up? If going into standby mode, VC remembers last "volume" setting on particular digital input. It goes to -63dB only after hard turn off at the master switch at back.
Note the diff vs Horizon....H starts at 00 going up to 63 and Poseidon it is vice versa.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing