Introducing the LampizatOr Poseidon DAC

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Assuming a relatively similar DAC circuitry between the Pacific-2 and the Poseidon, one would also then assume that a lot of the magic in the Poseidon has to do with the preamplifier stage. Wonder if any translatable preamplifier output stage can be combined w/ the DHT circuitry for a Pacific 3? :cool: @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus
Keith not sure if there will ever be Pac 3. Engines Poseidon vs Horizon are not the same afaik.
Actually wondering what is the diff full blown Poseidon preamp vs Poseidon DAC with one preamp input.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I had the Poseidon in my listening room, great gear, but I think the preamp stage is not in the path, if you just use the DAC mode. Different output ports are there either. The only thing that wonders me is, that you have to switch the volume level to full level at start up.

I noticed you list the TRP3 in your gear list; can you share how the Poseidon compared against the TRP?

So as a DAC it does not use the same pre-amp circuitry as the analog inputs? I just assumed DAC mode benefits from the same preamp which is supposed to be the core strength of the Poseidon...

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Yes i would agree with first part when You use it in DAC mode.
I don't get the other part. What do you mean by switch to full level after start up? If going into standby mode, VC remembers last "volume" setting on particular digital input. It goes to -63dB only after hard turn off at the master switch at back.
Note the diff vs Horizon....H starts at 00 going up to 63 and Poseidon it is vice versa.
I didn‘t use the standby, but power off via a central power distribution strip (HMS Energia). With a hard power off, the volume setting returns to default.

Reactions: Golum

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I noticed you list the TRP3 in your gear list; can you share how the Poseidon compared against the TRP?
I am very pleased with the SQ of the TRP3 w/ Engine 11 compared to my prior TRP2 w/ E53. The Poseidon clearly outperforms the TRP3 in DAC mode in all SQ disciplines. It‘s like you compare a (very) good mid class cartridge to a top level one.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Assuming a relatively similar DAC circuitry between the Pacific-2 and the Poseidon, one would also then assume that a lot of the magic in the Poseidon has to do with the preamplifier stage. Wonder if any translatable preamplifier output stage can be combined w/ the DHT circuitry for a Pacific 3? :cool: @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus
I would assume the biggest diff would be in the topology for the output scheme/tubes used. DHT circuit should be quite different. A possible analogy would be a v8 muscle car vs a high compression high HP inline 4 sports car.

Reactions: Golum

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Does anyone know how a Poseidon would compare to the MK1 Pacific??

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
After hearing Poseidon and owing Pacific 1 for years I would say using boxing jargon: "KO in first round".

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
After hearing Poseidon and owing Pacific 1 for years I would say using boxing jargon: "KO in first round".
Ok thanks.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I purchased a Poseidon Pre/DAC version. I await delivery. I heard a presumably stock Horizon on my speakers (Von Schweikert VR9 SE MK2) and it was fabulous.

My question is will I be missing some of the joy if I just stick with the stock tubes and sound as Lampizator designed it with? I'm not seeking "perfection" or "the best," just a higher quality of sound presentation off CDs and digital downloads (not streaming). I really dislike tweaks, I just want to hear music (28K LPs, 7K 78s, 15.5K CDs, 250 R2R).

The preamp portion will be used for phono (VPI TNT VI/Townshend Seismic Sink/radically modified SME IV/Dynavector 20X2L/EAR 324/possibly my Zesto SUT) and a junction box for 78s (VPI 19-4/Grado elliptical), R2R (Technics RS1500), Cassette (Nakamichi ZX-7) and CD burner (Alesis Maestro). I've never previously used a junction box so this will be new to me.

orrman

Sep 27, 2023
NJ
IMG_2018.jpeg
A happy new owner of the marvelous Poseidon! This is my first Lampizator and one of the first components to arrive for my new system, I'm very excited to explore what this DAC has to offer and how it sounds. I've upgraded from a Rockna Wavedream Signature.

Nice to meet all of you!

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Fantastic starting point and great picture.
Enjoy it!

Take care O.!

Reactions: orrman

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Congratulations on the purchase, looks fantastic

I will be taking my Acuhorn/dac down to my local Lampi dealer so that I can compare it to the Poseidon. I still can't get my head around how a pentode output stage sounds better than a DHT stage.

I had a wonderful KT88 amplifier for a time, and it sounded stunning. Only once I bought an Atma-sphere amp using triodes did I realise what I was missing.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
My question is will I be missing some of the joy if I just stick with the stock tubes and sound as Lampizator designed it with? I'm not seeking "perfection" or "the best," just a higher quality of sound presentation off CDs and digital downloads (not streaming). I really dislike tweaks, I just want to hear music (28K LPs, 7K 78s, 15.5K CDs, 250 R2R).

Maybe I should add that I am currently using a voltage regulated tube pair of 125 w monoblock Class A/B amps and possibly the Westminster Labs Rei amps. No one has offered an answer to my query yet.

Orrman-I notice that you have Devore O/96 speakers. I found that they are super warm and rich sounding, especially lovely on vocals and small instrumentals. I hope you enjoy your Poseidon.

takacs75

Nov 17, 2020
Hungary

Maybe I should add that I am currently using a voltage regulated tube pair of 125 w monoblock Class A/B amps and possibly the Westminster Labs Rei amps. No one has offered an answer to my query yet.

Orrman-I notice that you have Devore O/96 speakers. I found that they are super warm and rich sounding, especially lovely on vocals and small instrumentals. I hope you enjoy your Poseidon.
My short answer is yes, you will miss a lot with stock tubes

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020

I've owned Lampizator DACs since 2012. I would say that existence of better tubes and adapters for some of those tubes is not the reason not to get and enjoy a Lampi DAC. They are great with stock tubes and I've seen many happy owners who love their Lampi DACs and don't bother. It is just that some people found out by doing that a DAC can be improved even further with better tubes or with tubes that are more suitable for a particular system. So better/different tubes are a bonus, an icing on a cake. Albeit, a big one. And tubes are not expensive. Some are, but some are cheap. One way to go, is get a Lampi DAC, burn it in, enjoy it for some time, whatever this time is and whatever is comfortable for the owner, and then when the owner wants to try something new or is eager to upgrade, get Some tubes and be surprised, inspired, shocked and ultimately happy once more.
Here is what tubes in a DAC do:
1. Improve the sound of the entire system due to better system matching, e.g. any system is unique and a different tube (not necessarily a better one) can make your DAC more synergistic with your particular system. I heard huge improvements with "worse" tubes due to this.
2. Provided the system synergy is there, better tubes = better sound in all areas. Like getting a more expensive component.

In short, consider getting better sound with better tubes a bonus, and this bonus you can postpone for as long as you personally want.

But tubes are probably much cheaper than a very good power cable that can also do a Lot. So... personally I would now do both, and then the best digital cable I can afford. Among those 3 tubes can be the cheapest.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
View attachment 127690
A happy new owner of the marvelous Poseidon! This is my first Lampizator and one of the first components to arrive for my new system, I'm very excited to explore what this DAC has to offer and how it sounds. I've upgraded from a Rockna Wavedream Signature.

Nice to meet all of you!
Congratulations!

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Part of the exploration is figuring out which tubes provide the biggest bang for the buck. With the Pacific the consensus is the KR 242s, which thread the needle between dynamics, tonality and warmth. The Poseidon is new enough that you can be a pioneer in this area! For the Horizon, there’s a few hundred pages of discussion on tube rolling. This is what you could begin a new thread on!

Reactions: DeMarko

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
And, Poseidon tubes are still cheap-er

Congrats! Cannot wait to hear about how it opens up in your home.

Reactions: christoph

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
How does the Poseidon compare to the Horizon? Is it close or is the Horizon the run away winner?

George

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing