Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I didn’t see RH “defecting” at all. He didn’t even compare to Magico Q7 (only Wilson Benesch) which I think pretty much sums up TAS these days. Such a shell of a magazine

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I didn’t see RH “defecting” at all. He didn’t even compare to Magico Q7 (only Wilson Benesch) which I think pretty much sums up TAS these days. Such a shell of a magazine

It is just Ceasar and him trying to create fake news as usual.

Reactions: Joe P

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Given Wilson's target customers, I think they are hitting all the right buttons in term of marketing. They are not going after only the well to do diehard audiophiles. They are after The multi millionares who like to own what image to be the top and buying a luxury product costing less than a million not gonna make a single hair fall.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Robert Harley reviewed extremely favorably the Rockport Lyra. Interestingly, I think that many of his subjective comments about the Alexx apply very well to what I hear from the Lyra.

I wish he had tried in some way to compare and contrast the sonic attributes of the Alexx to what he remembered about the Lyra.

PS: If I wanted to try to be a troublemaker I would say that I would love to hear a comparison of the WAMM Master Chronosonic and the Rockport Lyra + Master Subsonics, for approximately 1/3 the price of the Master Chronosonic (without the subwoofers).

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Robert Harley reviewed extremely favorably the Rockport Lyra. Interestingly, I think that many of his subjective comments about the Alexx apply very well to what I hear from the Lyra.

I wish he had tried in some way to compare and contrast the sonic attributes of the Alexx to what he remembered about the Lyra.

PS: If I wanted to try to be a troublemaker I would say that I would love to hear a comparison of the WAMM Master Chronosonic and the Rockport Lyra + Master Subsonics, for approximately 1/3 the price of the Master Chronosonic (without the subwoofers).

It's done by a few but generally considered out of bounds to compare a product you have on hand with your memory of another in your same system- at least in published reviews. If you've formally reviewed product X, limited general remarks about it in a current review of Y can be okay because there is the published review of X along with, presumably, detailed notes to draw from. Of course people do it all the time informally on forums but imo you need to take that into consideration and recognize when those memory compares are across different systems, especially when the listenings are less than a couple-three records.

Price divergent reviews are fine, imo, as long as both products are on hand and in the same system. (Go ahead and be a troublemaker!) But those still are a bit tricky to do and the reviewer needs to be clear on what are compares and what are contrasts within the context of the price difference.

Part of the problem is the relative paucity of the common review language and use of adverbs and adjectives to represent the scale of differences and similarities. As observed before, there are only so many 'deepers' and 'clearers' one can write before the differences in degree are diminished by the reptitiveness of the vocabulary. That's why you may find subjective comments blurring into similarity across products and reviews. such as your case of of the Rockport Lyra and the Alexx. A lot of similar vocabulary is used. (And from memory reviews tend to fall back on that.) Imo, it's better to simply describe what you hear moreso than evaluate one product in terms of another.

Reactions: microstrip

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, since one can hear massive differences in Wilsons when one driver is moved by a millimetre, I can't see any other spkr comparing.

The Lyras might as well stay in their packing crates.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I don’t think it is even close, Wilson tramps Magico at marketing, especially when it comes to budget. Just look at https://audiophilestyle.com/ top banner, what a surprise (again, the double standard by the all-loving WBF community, were a good Magico review was surly bought, right?). A bit of a shame that these so call reviewers can be bought so easily and in broad daylight, but that is the name of the game, and those with bigger pocket will prevail.

BTW, this was not a great review, lots of “getting used to” sentences, which are never a good thing. There is also a big difference between ending a review with “best Wilson” and “best” period. For a reference, you can reread his Magico Q7 review.

Reactions: caesar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's done by a few but generally considered out of bounds to compare a product you have on hand with your memory of another in your same system- at least in published reviews. If you've formally reviewed product X, limited general remarks about it in a current review of Y can be okay because there is the published review of X along with, presumably, detailed notes to draw from. Of course people do it all the time informally on forums but imo you need to take that into consideration and recognize when those memory compares are across different systems, especially when the listenings are less than a couple-three records.

Price divergent reviews are fine, imo, as long as both products are on hand and in the same system. (Go ahead and be a troublemaker!) But those still are a bit tricky to do and the reviewer needs to be clear on what are compares and what are contrasts within the context of the price difference.

Part of the problem is the relative paucity of the common review language and use of adverbs and adjectives to represent the scale of differences and similarities. As observed before, there are only so many 'deepers' and 'clearers' one can write before the differences in degree are diminished by the reptitiveness of the vocabulary. That's why you may find subjective comments blurring into similarity across products and reviews. such as your case of of the Rockport Lyra and the Alexx. A lot of similar vocabulary is used. (And from memory reviews tend to fall back on that.) Imo, it's better to simply describe what you hear moreso than evaluate one product in terms of another.

Hi Tim,

I agree objectively with every single point you wrote. Still, those objectively correct points often have not deterred professional reviewers from using their reasonable best efforts to make such comparisons.

At least I am postulating a comparison of two speakers of the same dynamic driver design topology, and of two speakers with even a similar M-T-M design, with woofers underneath the M-T-M section.

With regard to your last sentence, subjectively, I still wish Robert had said something to compare them in some way. Maybe the Alexx and the Lyra are sufficiently similar sonically that only a direct, side-by-side comparison in the same room and with the same associated components would distill valid sonic differences between them.

Still, totally subjectively, I would be curious to ask Robert privately, “So if you had to choose between only the Alexx and the Lyra as the speaker you would keep for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?”

Realistically I think Robert truly likes both the Alexx and the Lyra. I know I do!

But I also know which one I would choose for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Hi Tim,
Still, totally subjectively, I would be curious to ask Robert privately, “So if you had to choose between only the Alexx and the Lyra as the speaker you would keep for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?”

Realistically I think Robert truly likes both the Alexx and the Lyra. I know I do!

But I also know which one I would choose for the rest of my life.

Ron,
Great question to Robert!
I’m very curious myself.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Do audiophiles show more loyalty to their gear than to wives-to-be?

Till death us do part? Marriage? Or spkrs brands?

Reactions: cannata

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

caesar

May 30, 2010
caesar, to make a point.......you actually have to make that point.....especially in a now 9 month dormant thread. all you did was tease something. we assume from the timing you are jumping on the current XWX interest. but, of course, you have not yet explained that. and the significance of what Harley does or does not do is far past it's sell-by date.

Hi Mike, sorry I have been busy. Start typing and get interrupted... too many things going on ...

Also, you may have mistaken this thread for the Wamm Junior thread. I haven’t read it yet, but don’t intend to rehash.

The purpose here is to discuss economic and social aspects (which further influence economics) of the hobby. Influence by authority figures like Harley and computer audiophile is a big win for Wilson....

caesar

May 30, 2010
I don’t think it is even close, Wilson tramps Magico at marketing, especially when it comes to budget. Just look at https://audiophilestyle.com/ top banner, what a surprise (again, the double standard by the all-loving WBF community, were a good Magico review was surly bought, right?). A bit of a shame that these so call reviewers can be bought so easily and in broad daylight, but that is the name of the game, and those with bigger pocket will prevail.

BTW, this was not a great review, lots of “getting used to” sentences, which are never a good thing. There is also a big difference between ending a review with “best Wilson” and “best” period. For a reference, you can reread his Magico Q7 review

BTW, this was not a great review, lots of “getting used to” sentences, which are never a good thing. There is also a big difference between ending a review with “best Wilson” and “best” period. For a reference, you can reread his Magico Q7 review.
That banner is one of the reasons I posted. I think Magico courted the computer audiophile

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Keith, I haven’t read anything of Harley for a while. It’s been a bunch of abstract garbage and BEST.. BEST...

Thanks for reading it for me :)

And it’s actually GREAT news he’s comparing!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

You just can’t let it go can you

Whenever there is a Wilson Magico comment I always bet myself how long it will be before you start your usual .......

It really is old

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing