Isolation Transformer and Balanced Power versus PS Audio Regenerator

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
WOW, the PLiXiR Elite BAC400s are by far the most cost-effective upgrades I’ve ever owned in my entire 45+ year audio career - I’ve connected two of them to the High Current duplex outlets of the Powerplant P20 to power my two MSB Select II DAC powerbases, and have been breaking them in (together with the balanced AC power cables) during the last few days. The audiophile journey of asymptotic diminishing returns - you know, painstakingly selecting main components to build a system solid enough to be start in the “high 80’s” (relative performance, given real-world constraints in room acoustics, room volume, etc.) then celebrating when the 90 threshold is breached, only to stumble back and forth through trial and error, with each incremental gain being far more difficult than before, to finally reach a limit of say 92-93 points in one’s optimized system... well, I think my system was at 91-92 points, but the BAC400s single handedly added 10 points, just like that. Yes, my mental constraint of what I though was possible was clearly exceeded. I’ve now learned that even higher absolute performance is possible, and that the imaginary “100-point perfection” bar can actually be elevated even higher than I had imagined, thanks to the PLiXiR Elite BACs. A new journey to discovering new heights has been sparked.

Last edited:

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
I was asked to elaborate - words alone are inadequate, and audio clichés will be used, but let me give it a go. The benefits manifest themselves in, dare I say, all aspects of musical reproduction through the profound subtraction of noise, its omnipresence previously permeating into every aspect of music as a grey pall where there should have been carbon black, plus a realignment of previously blurred phase and temporal interrelationships. For me, instrument specificity and size translate best to the illusion of reality, so let me use related analogies. What is particularly evident in my system is the increased liquidity, purity, and spatial solidity of the structure of the harmonic overtones, rendering a cleaner relief of attack and decay in transient edges to build a more visually realistic depiction and location, to pretty much any spot within the very broad, wide, and deep soundstage, perceptually ~15’ wide, ~10’ tall, and ~20-30’ deep. This phenomena extends from airy and crisp high frequency harmonics, down through the midrange fundamentals, and into the deepest bass notes which are now more visceral as well as speedier. Given the more precise localization through the entire spectrum, the “unoccupied” space between instruments have also doubled/tripled. Using another visual analogy, the chromatic scale has also become purer, with a reduction in aberration which previously subtracted from the fidelity of composite colors, both statically when seen as a snapshot, as well as dynamically when the music was ebbing, flowIng, and swirling. Electrons, the basic building blocks of signals and reproduced sound, are now far more pure, transparent, saturated, and effortlessly dynamic, producing music that is far more emotionally accessible, believable, with greater delicacy and finesse, but at the same time electrifying in its authenticity. I did a ton of homework to understand both the art and science of BITs, and it paid off in a hugely disproportionate and happy way, unexpected in its sheer magnitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Are you in the States? There had been a discussion earlier about balanced power this not being code legal in the States, so I'm wondering if running from the P20 gets around this. And are you using PLiXir's power cords? I'm also wondering why go this way instead using a battery or two, such as the Goal Zero Yeti. I ask because the editor of an audio mag wrote me about how much improvement there was using some Goal Zeros for his front end, with which he was able to ditch some power cords (tho I'm not sure yet how).

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Hi - I’m overseas; click my WBF member profile for details. The beauty of BITs are that “standard” unbalanced AC power is “converted” into balanced AC power with no fuss or electrical code violations. You must be referring to those super-rare plutonium-density mini-UFOs which some die-hards somehow acquire (from either Area 51 or Tony Stark) for powering their entire audio system, including power amps - there’s no need to go there. For your source component needs, simply plug a BIT into either your wall duplex, or into the output duplex plug labeled “High Current” on your PS Audio PowerPlant - no upstream domestic power line modifications are necessary. Post BIT, either a standard audiophile AC cable, or a PLiXiR‘s balanced AC cable can be used. I’m using the latter, the PLiXiR Statement balanced AC cable, and it’s wonderful ! As far as I can tell from just looking at its transparent adapter shell terminations, it has five insulated conductors - the double live and neutral conductors are helixed in a star-quad configuration, with the single ground conductor running through the center, connected to the braided shield only at the source end. Regarding battery power, I’m not an expert, but there are potentially multiple issues related to parasitic noise leakage, output impedance not being as low as theory, longevity/reliability, vulnerability to heat, etc. For all of your source components, for the elimination/isolation of RF noise, ground noise, and common-mode noise, NOTHING beats a well designed BIT. Used in combination with regenerated AC from a P20, it’s even better, and IMO the only way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The PLiXiR Elite Series balanced isolation transformers are definitely best-buys!
I used a 400w model before and currently a 1000w model.

James of PLiXiR recommends using smaller ones for audio components each, instead of a big one for all of them.

QuadDiffusor's using two Elite 400w after his P20 must be one of the best configs.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
The important question is: how would the PLiXiR Elite BAC400s compared to the mono base power of MSB. If one were to engage in a cost no object custom PSU project, would it surpass the mono base power of MSB which price belongs to upper echelon.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
I’m hearing huge improvements on TOP of what the two MSB mono powerbases deliver. That’s why I assert that the PLiXIR Elite BAC400s deliver the best cost/performance, bar none.

Reactions: Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I’m hearing huge improvements on TOP of what the two MSB mono powerbases deliver. That’s why I assert that the PLiXIR Elite BAC400s deliver the best cost/performance, bar none.
MSB guys gonna lose a lot of sleep over this.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The important question is: how would the PLiXiR Elite BAC400s compared to the mono base power of MSB. If one were to engage in a cost no object custom PSU project, would it surpass the mono base power of MSB which price belongs to upper echelon.
Hi Hieukm,

Please don't misunderstand.
Quaddiffusor is referring to use the following PLiXiR balanced isolation transformers for his two MSB Mono Powerbases, NOT the LPS of PLiXiR!

https://www.plixirpower.com/products/elite-bac-400

??.jpg

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
So the title of the thread is isolation transformer/balanced power versus PS Audio Regenerator. From what I can tell reading thru it, balanced power can’t be used in the States residentially and the Regenerators — P15 and P20 — are considerable improvements over when the thread started (I can vouch for the latter, having gone from P5, P10 and P12 to P15 currently). Is that the sum of it Stateside?

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Hi, I believe that BITs (used after the AC wall duplexes) do not violate any US residential electrical codes - please read the second and third sentences in post #185.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Torus power located in Ontario, Canada offers balance power but the output from the transformer is not balanced and therefore no code issues. Balance power to the device can be used (equi=tec) but the outlet has to be labeled as such and there are restrictions what can be plugged into it. Local electrical codes vary.

Allnic electronics and waversa both have had issues with PS Audio regenerator so I recommend isolation transformers or balanced power for my clients.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
OK, so local codes vary - that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
So the title of the thread is isolation transformer/balanced power versus PS Audio Regenerator. From what I can tell reading thru it, balanced power can’t be used in the States residentially and the Regenerators — P15 and P20 — are considerable improvements over when the thread started (I can vouch for the latter, having gone from P5, P10 and P12 to P15 currently). Is that the sum of it Stateside?

'can't be used' is not quite right.

i use the Equi=tech 10WQ 10kva balanced wall panel system. when my electrical contractor was installing my Equi=tech he was ok with it after researching about it, and also that my room is a dedicated studio in a separate building, and there was no sink or water in the room. so my install was like a commercial installation.

and plugging a stand alone balanced power supply into a 120v outlet is a whole different thing that having a hardwired balanced 70amp/220v 3 phase panel installed.

i think the issue is that balanced power is not code for residential use in some locations, likely not part of the code one way or another in other locations. mostly what you will run into is a contractor who does not want to spend the time to understand it. my contractor called and spoke to Equi-tech and then was ok.

the other thing i did was eliminate the noisy GFI's from each circuit; again the contractor was ok with just using a straight wire in place of the GFI's due to the room use. and NO, i did not get a permit for this install. however; my contractor was licenced and bonded. and yes, i'm aware there are risks associated with that decision.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Seems my memory was playing tricks on me. While reading this thread initially, I looked up “balanced power home audio united states” and the first result is a discussion that gave me pause: https://www.stereophile.com/content/use-balanced-ac-power-home-1. That and other threads gave me the impression that this is not a plug and play operation with a 120v line.

Also, if the Torus is not balanced on the output side, does that affect its benefits?

Last edited:

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Seems my memory was playing tricks on me. While reading this thread initially, I looked up “balanced power home audio united states” and the first result is a discussion that gave me pause: https://www.stereophile.com/content/use-balanced-ac-power-home-1. That and other threads gave me the impression that this is not a plug and play operation with a 120v line.

Also, if the Torus is not balanced on the output side, does that affect its benefits?
The main thing is, don't ever plug any lighting fixtures into your add-on, wall-plug-in balance power appliance. That's the primary out--of-code-for-domestic-use balanced power restriction.

Phil

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I've owned balanced power units, passive units, and a PS Audio AC-P12 for the front end components. I've never heard any of the units make my amp sound totally better. The non-audiophile Furman Reference 20i was the only one that did handle the amp improve the dynamics and punch as stated in their design. I felt the midrange became a bit too rounded sounding, but that was recording depended. I used the Furman on the front end and everything had more dynamics and the bottom end was taught and powerful, and dead silent. I used only the 4 high current outlets, I've never like balanced power due to how it takes away overtones and this goes back to the '90s trying them and always selling them. Yes, cleaner, but where the color weight and tone go. I then purchased the P-12 took the Furman out and the PS-12 in. Did my jaw drop, well, no? But what I did hear was a blacker background, more space, better vocals, imaging was stable with a nice bottom end, while not as upfront as the Furman. The PS-P12 does do as claimed, it does improve what you already have in your system. It stabilizes the incoming current, it does take away the noise, and that is shown in the display. I showed 10 times the improvement when I vacuumed the audio room, I happened to look at the meter, it went from 10 times better to the extreme right as high as the meter would go, turned off the vacuum and watched it go back to 10 times improvement. That showed me this was not a snake oil unit. Like a few, I've owned that had literally zip inside of them, but the had great advertisements. Used by NASA, Medical fields, etc.

So my McIntosh MC402 amp stays in the wall as well as my 2 subs, My electrostatic speakers plug into a wonderful Cardas power strip, which by the way also does what they claim it does. Love the ESL 63 plugged into it and in my case, that is also a must due to my experience the bottom outlets of any AC dual-outlet one up and one down sounds better. Same for any power conditioner also. 2nd thing for any gear is the quality of the power cord, I've owned a lot, they have more impact than any cable on your system, If I get bored with my system, I just grab a power cord add it to the amp and a slightly different sound, to me audio is like cooking a good meal you have to know how to mix the ingredients with the food. That my experience. I may go for the PS Audio-P15 one day just to have more outlets, but the P-12 is more than enough for my front end needs, shows I'm using only a fraction of what the PS Audio P-12 can put out. My room is set up so the amp is in between the speakers and the rack on the sidewall so I need 2 units if I wanted to get my system total off of coming out of the wall outlets, but I may for fun, I may put the Furman back in at the front end and move the PS-P12 to power the McIntosh and the ESL 63's. Might be an education, never know in audio until you try, which is why you have to stay open-minded.

Attachments

• IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0716.JPG
    585.1 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Forte and DeadWax

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing