Jonathan Tinn R.I.P.

JYACO

VIP/Donor
Oct 3, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
Mike, I just learned of Jonathan’s passing. I’m stunned. We were friends for almost 30 years. I have fond memories of Jonathan and I driving to your place from Portland about 12 years ago. Jonathan was so excited to introduce us and let me experience your wonderful listening room and set up. He always put a smile on my face and I will dearly miss him.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
First and foremost Jonathan was a truly amazing,and devoted father to his eldest son Charlie and to his "mini me" Gabriel. What greater tribute can there be to a man's life and his legacy!

Jonathan and I were friends for fifteen years. He was my friend but it always felt more like we were brothers. Jonathan was there for me at a difficult time in my life and I will always be grateful. JT never did anything halfway - he was always ALL IN!!!

Upon learning of his passing I turned to my wife Debbie and said the world suddenly felt much smaller. Such was the size of his persona and the depth of how he poured himself into everyone and everything he loved. Notably the art of music and the development and promotion of so many iconic and exceptional audio brands. To his boys, his family and his colleagues, especially Kevin, Herve Joel, and Ed, as well as his many friends throughout our industry my sincerest condolences to all.

Rest in peace JT. I hope the music never stops!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
And condolences to you Mike, Were it not for JT we would never have met and I would likely not have returned to the industry I love so dearly. Thanks for making the post. I know it was not an easy one.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If it is any consolation Mike, JT is now listening to the songs of the angels. My deepest sympathies to his family of which I consider many here to be especially you Mike.

Rest in Peace Jonathan

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
it's with great sadness that i share that my beloved friend, Jonathan Tinn, passed away last week. Jonathan was a major force in our hobby, with companies building speakers and cables (Evolution Acoustics), turntables and resonance control (Wave Kinetics), and distributing digital, (Merging Technology) electronics, amps and preamps (darTZeel). Jonathan had the best ears i have ever been around. And he really knew music, even produced some recordings. Jonathan had a knack for picking hifi winners, and aligned himself with some really outstanding partners.

Jonathan had a larger than life personality, and knew many of us here. He could command a room, but always made sure everyone was a part. His quick wit, class and genuineness came thru. When you were Jonathan's friend, he pulled you all the way in. Lived life to the fullest. I think I speak for all of his hifi friends when I say we were lucky to have known him. His passing is a blow to us all. One of a kind, for sure.

Personally, Jonathan and I had many, many great times together and on the phone, always there for each other, a forever friend. These last few days many have reached out to me, knowing how close we were. Many thanks for that support.

Jonathan was a devoted father to his two boys.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Jonathan was a titan in our world. He had the gift of making one feel included. (I'm thinking about when I was a guest of his-Gary Leeds actually invited me-for dinner with 12 or so other guys. It was a gesture he certainly didn't have to make, and I never forgot that kindness.) To you and Gary, and the undoubted hundreds of others...and foremost his family, I'm sorry for your loss. He was a great big man.

Last edited:

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Jonathan and I were close friends for over twenty years. I heard he had passed yesterday. I echo all that Mike said. In addition-

I have never known someone so loyal and giving of his time to help you. He had your back!

He had the most positive attitude of anyone I have ever known which was absolutely contagious.

His devotion to Charlie and Gabriel was without equal, he loved those boys passionItaly.

His ear was extraordinary, unwavering and consistent- you could make bank on it.

He conceived of, created and produced two world class audio pieces which will undoubtedly stand the test of time- Wave Kinetics NVS turntable and Evolution Acoustics speakers.

His incredible ear led him to the lines he distributed. He found darTZeel decades ago, believed in this tiny Swiss startup and Herve, and brought them to market- the rest is history! And, his fierce loyalty extended to the protection of those lines, thru thick and thin. He was as loyal to Herve as he was to the boys.

He loved music more than any human being I have ever met. He loved all music and he loved talking to you about the music you loved and the music he loved, so refreshing in a world so obsessed with gear talk. That’s what it’s all about, after all.

I could go on and on, but I will stop here. The world has lost a beautiful person. I cant wait to see and talk to him again at “The Great Gig in the Sky.”

I Love you man!

Franz

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I am very sad and shocked to hear about Jonathan’s passing. Over the years I was a dealer for Evolution Acoustics, Dartzeel and Playback. And just like all who dealt with Jonathan we became friends. I remember talking with him about life and family when his first son was born. I had true respect and admiration for Jonathan, and he will be missed.

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
This is shocking news and very sad indeed. What a listener and great friend. He got me out of the only world I knew up until that time of sterile SS gear and into Kharma and tubes, notably the Tenor OTLs. He was a ringmaster too - I'll never forget the epic Von Schweikert and Dartzeel setup he had at CES in Vegas years ago. Still one of the best listening experiences I've ever had. RIP my friend.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Please add my condolences to the growing list of long time admirers. I bought several products from Jonathan in my audio career and was never disappointed. Never gave me bad advice. My most memorable experience was many years ago when I bought a set of Lamm monobloc amps from him (I bought a Lamm phono stage from him previously). I told him he could ship when my check cleared. He replied that was not necessary as my word was good enough. The check and the amps crossed in the mail. Never forgot that. Who does that anymore? . Quite the mensch! RIP Jonathan.

Alex Peychev

Dec 29, 2013
Bulgaria
www.aplhifi.com
This is really hard to believe. Last time I saw Jonathan he was so excited and took me by the hand to show me some audio equipment he really liked around the LV audio show. Jonathan is one of those contributors for the audio industry who will never be forgotten. Really positive and passionate for the audio and for the music. As much as I'd like again to hold hands with Jonathan, I guess this will happen in another dimension. Until then, may he rest in peace.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
How old was he? Spoke with him briefly about a Wavac phono stage that he had in inventory many years ago.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Just saw this, sad news indeed...Jonathan was always a pleasure to speak with and very engaging....RIP

stirlingtrayle

Mike,
My condolences to you, his family, and his friends. I did not know Johnathan, and it sounds like that is my loss. I hope he will be well recognized for his many and broad contributions to this industry. May he rest in peace.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Terrible news Mike. Sorry to all that knew Tim. 63 is far too young.
Had he been sick or was this very sudden?

RIP

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
it's with great sadness that i share that my beloved friend, Jonathan Tinn, passed away last week. Jonathan was a major force in our hobby, with companies building speakers and cables (Evolution Acoustics), turntables and resonance control (Wave Kinetics), and distributing digital, (Merging Technology) electronics, amps and preamps (darTZeel). Jonathan had the best ears i have ever been around. And he really knew music, even produced some recordings. Jonathan had a knack for picking hifi winners, and aligned himself with some really outstanding partners.

Jonathan had a larger than life personality, and knew many of us here. He could command a room, but always made sure everyone was a part. His quick wit, class and genuineness came thru. When you were Jonathan's friend, he pulled you all the way in. Lived life to the fullest. I think I speak for all of his hifi friends when I say we were lucky to have known him. His passing is a blow to us all. One of a kind, for sure.

Personally, Jonathan and I had many, many great times together and on the phone, always there for each other, a forever friend. These last few days many have reached out to me, knowing how close we were. Many thanks for that support.

Jonathan was a devoted father to his two boys.
I'm really sorry.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
That is so very sad Mike. I'm sorry for your loss. I bought Jonathan's personal Playback Designs MPS-5 Reference SACD/CD Player & DAC several years ago. I'm glad to still have it. He was a delightful human being and a pleasure to deal with.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
So sorry to hear of his passing for his family and his close friends… Mike it seems he was much loved and cared for by many and it’s hard to feel that kind of loss for those so close. A great sign of a life well lived in itself. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing