Keith's Dream Amplifier Thread

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Monos usually differ from the same power rated stereo version in the powersupply .
Bigger VA transformer more / bigger capacitator capacity .
I never heard any other benefit from monos besides that .
So for those vampire energy suckers of speakers it can surely help .

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I should also add that I had an excellent conversation yesterday with our resident Rowland expert, @GuidoCorona. He believes my situation will require the company’s monoblocks.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm not a fan of amps with the "warm" tone that Keith R. is seeking and Boulder has none so he may be right to cross Boulder off the list, but a Boulder 1160 or 1161 audition would be worthwhile first.

Chuck, just wanted to thank you for the honest answer. Unfortunately most on WBF don’t understand preference like us.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
If you are remotely considering audionet you can PM me. My Max’s are for sale. Used for two years and in near perfect shape.

Also, how come no one seems to be considering constellation pairing with YG?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am optimistic about the PS Audio BHK monos on Keith's speakers. My top nominee continues to be the Lamm M2.2s, come the year they happen to appear on Audiogon.

I think the BHKs are a thoughtful and rational choice for the present. I would bet they retain the drive and the dynamics of the Ampzillas, and improve on musicality (whatever that word means to each of us) and, hopefully, on transparency.

As much as I like the Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse mono for difficult loudspeaker loads (it is my favorite amp for MBLs, and one of my favorite amps for Magnepans) the input sensitivity of the Atlas is too low for Keith's application.

PS: I would like to hear Gryphon Mephisto or Antileon Evo on YG speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: GMKF and jeff1225

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you are remotely considering audionet you can PM me. My Max’s are for sale. Used for two years and in near perfect shape.

Also, how come no one seems to be considering constellation pairing with YG?

Good call. It is the Taurus monos that hit above its weight class. Not too spendy either. Warm sounding, warmer than its stablemates.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
update: well, on the amplifier front I believe we have finally discovered the problem link with the Ampzillas. It has to do with my MSB dac of all things. perhaps being dc-coupled is the issue, more to come.

i've had an electrician out to check my grounds (confirmed) and explain the grounding scheme of my house which doesn't use isolated grounds in that room (the outlets tie to the box itself and then to conduit). I've taken out the Torus isolation transformer entirely and run my front end direct into the wall via power strip, amps into a separate outlet. i only have issues when the MSB is on.

i also have the PS Audio BHKs in the system with no operational issues - as of now, I prefer the Ampzillas sonically. i've rolled some tubes with Amperex in them now as well - i'm surprised how little the sound changes. this change is rather small compared with a preamp or output tube.

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
3. Lamm M2.2. Gain = 31.8db
2. Burmester 911 MK III. Gain = about the same... A.k.a ca 0.77 to 0.9v full power
1. Gruensch CSE II SE. Gain = 22.1db meaning 3v plus for full power..

What is a Gruensch? ?Warmish and dynamic sounding transistor amp...

Imperial

Last edited:

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
update: well, on the amplifier front I believe we have finally discovered the problem link with the Ampzillas. It has to do with my MSB dac of all things. perhaps being dc-coupled is the issue, more to come.

i've had an electrician out to check my grounds (confirmed) and explain the grounding scheme of my house which doesn't use isolated grounds in that room (the outlets tie to the box itself and then to conduit). I've taken out the Torus isolation transformer entirely and run my front end direct into the wall via power strip, amps into a separate outlet. i only have issues when the MSB is on.

i also have the PS Audio BHKs in the system with no operational issues - as of now, I prefer the Ampzillas sonically. i've rolled some tubes with Amperex in them now as well - i'm surprised how little the sound changes. this change is rather small compared with a preamp or output tube.
MSB ground trouble shooting. PDF from their site

Now. For the love of God :). ...
Someone tech savvy should draw up your system. Send that picture to MSB audio AND the passive Pre manufacturer and ask how to connect... At least ask their opinion
Do not attach wires at will.

Maybe signal cable from DA to Pre needs to have cut it's screen in the pre-amp end... Who knows.

Imperial

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
MSB ground trouble shooting. PDF from their site

Now. For the love of God :). ...
Someone tech savvy should draw up your system. Send that picture to MSB audio AND the passive Pre manufacturer and ask how to connect... At least ask their opinion
Do not attach wires at will.

Maybe signal cable from DA to Pre needs to have cut it's screen in the pre-amp end... Who knows.

Imperial

thanks, have already seen that. I don't have a Powerbase

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Having heard both amps (ampzilla and PS audio) I am not surprised. I didn't find the PS Audio to deliver the strengths of tubes in an effective manner as I have heard from several other hybrid amps. It sounded quite SS in the way I didn't care for (even with PS audio tube/hybrid preamp). If you can try Brinkmann Audio monos and a Brinkmann preamp then I recommend you to try this combo...although it might be a bit low on power. It is very good for SS amps and the preamp is a hybrid I think. BAT SS amps would be worth a try as well as they fall a bit on the warmer side but still have good transparency and dynamics.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ypsilon Phaeton is very good sounding as well. I would also have a look at the Total DAC AmP-1 if you can find someone in Cali that sells it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
a

Reactions: jeff1225

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I must have missed it. I didn't see a conclusion where Keith had chosen an amplifier. Which one?? Staying with Ampzilla??

Reactions: jeff1225

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing