Keith's ultimate roast chicken recipe

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
This is a roast chicken injected with stock made from another roast chicken and then cooked to perfection. The double dose of chicken results in an incredibly juicy chicken with a double hit of chicken flavour.

By now some of you might realize that my recipes may not be the easiest to follow, but that is because I do research, do a lot of experiments, and try to come up with the "best practice" recipe along with a rationale for doing so. What follows is a discussion on cooking chicken. The recipe is in the next post.

TL; DR

In summary, my current recommendations are:

- Cooking temperature: breast 60, legs 65.
- Stuffing: no
- Trussing: no
- Cooking position: rotisserie; alternative slow roast with high heat finish
- Brining: injection brining, 4% - 6%

Cooking temperature: in some other places my recommendation of cooking the breast to 60C and dark meat (thighs/drumstick) to 65C is controversial. However, Heston Blumenthal recommends it (see 3:30 point in this video as do a number of more modern books. Cooking a chicken to higher temperature results in overcooked chicken, which manifests itself as dry meat. Note that the different cooking requirement for breast and leg meat will strongly influence your choice of cooking technique.

Stuffing vs. no stuffing: chickens should not be stuffed. Stuffing a chicken has a number of negative effects: it slows down cooking time by preventing convection currents within the cavity, the stuffing itself needs to reach a minimum of 60C and held for 15 minutes to guarantee safety (during which the vulnerable breast will overcook and skin start to burn), and the stuffing itself takes on a soggy texture. Contrary to myth, stuffing does not make a chicken more moist by "basting it from the inside". The moistness of chicken meat comes from other factors (see below).

Trussed vs. untrussed: after years of trussing my chickens, I have stopped doing so. The reason being - trussing reduces the circulation of air around the thighs, effectively increasing its thickness. Given the thighs need to be cooked to a higher temperature than the breast, trussing only reduces heat conductivity and guarantees either undercooked thighs or overcooked breast. No matter what the cooking method, the legs should be splayed out from the chicken to promote maximum air circulation.

Wet brined smoked beer can chicken. Despite the beautiful glazed appearance of the chicken and the skin, the skin was rubbery. See discussion on brining below

Cooking position: should chickens be stood upright on a beer can, or cooked in a rotisserie, or cooked breast side up, or butterflied? Should they be slow roasted or roasted at a high temperature? If you think about it - your aims in cooking your chicken are: breast to 60, legs to 65, and crispy skin.

- rotisserie: in this case, one side of the chicken is exposed to a high blast of heat before it is rotated away from the heat source. The meat then rapidly cools down before it is exposed to the heat again. Furthermore, the constant rotation of the chicken ensures even distribution of juices. This really is the ultimate way of cooking chicken, but unfortunately not everyone has a rotisserie. Most of the heat in a rotisserie is delivered in the form of radiation, rather than convection.

- breast side up: (Assuming you are using a normal oven with the heating elements on the top and bottom). In this position, the breast meat will be closest to the heating element and most exposed to convection air currents, whilst the thighs (which need a higher cooking temperature!) are resting deep in the roast tin with less air circulation. This will overcook the breast. If you are going to do this, I recommend retarding the cooking of the breast by starting the cooking with the breast down so that the legs cook first on chicken rack set on a biscuit tin (not a roasting tin!) - this promotes maximum air circulation. When you turn the breast side up, check the temperature. If there is less than 5C difference between legs and thighs, place foil over the breast to retard cooking. In a kamado or Weber, the heat comes from the bottom. The chicken should be cooked breast up over indirect heat. Make sure you rotate the chicken 180 halfway during cooking to even out the cooking of both sides.

- beer can: contrary to myth, it is not the beer in the can that keeps the chicken moist. It is the cooking position. In a beer can chicken, the chicken is vertical and the legs are closest to the heat source and breast furthest away. This naturally ensures appropriate distribution of heat.

Butterflied chicken - note the breast is overcooked and slightly charred whilst the legs were moist. The major disadvantage of butterflied chicken is the difficulty monitoring the temperature and stopping the skin from burning. It involves too much guesswork.

- butterfly: butterflying a chicken maximizes the surface area and promotes the fastest cooking. It is rarely possible to achieve a different cooking temperature for breast and thighs with this method unless the breast is foiled. Because of its shape, consideration needs to be given to how to cook it. It is easiest to cook a butterfly chicken in an oven. In a Weber, it is impossible to cook it over indirect heat in a Weber without creative arrangement of coals. Cooking it over direct heat will burn the skin before the meat is cooked. I recommend arranging the coals in a ring around the butterflied chicken in a Weber, with more coals towards the legs. In a Kamado, cook it direct but breast side up over very low heat. When the chicken is 10C from the desired temperature, remove it from the coals and open the vents. Place the chicken breast side down to crisp up the skin over high heat.

- slow vs. quick roast: unlike pork or beef, chicken has very little collagen - so the idea of a slow roast isn't to render the collagen. Rather, the reason you slow roast is to make it easier to control the final cooking temperature. Imagine you are piloting a ship towards a harbour. You need to stop right at the jetty. You could either go full steam ahead and try to apply reverse thrust just before you reach the jetty, but chances are you will overshoot and crash. Or, you could steam up slowly and coast to the jetty. This is the same with chicken - a slow roast gives you a larger window of opportunity to remove it from the heat at the desired cooking temperature. How important this is depends on how good you are at monitoring your chicken! If you have a Maverick ET-732 (or similar) type temperature probe, you can react the moment the alarm informs you the temp has been reached.

My peri-peri chicken, made with a brine-like marinade then cooked indirect until almost cooked, then finished over direct heat

Brining and marinades: chickens should always be brined. The reason: the salt within the meat promotes structural changes within the proteins which make the meat more tender. If you want to get scientific about it: the proteins maintain their 3D structure via a number of different types of bonds, but the most important is the positive-negative attraction between different amino acids. Na+ alters the charge of the proteins, promoting its unfolding. Also, the salt helps the meat hold on to water, causing less moisture loss. If you look up brining recipes, you will find a multitude of them - dry brines, wet brines at different concentrations, and injection brining. Which is the best? Well fortunately for you, I have done experiments!

- dry brining: not recommended. This method draws moisture out of the chicken and results in a taste and texture resembling cured meat.

- marinades: a form of wet brining but using far more concentrated flavours with less precise control over salinity. I have yet to come across a marinade recipe (including my own) which isn't subjective and variable. The results can be delicious, but really I didn't intend this post to be a discussion on marinading.

- wet brining: the most popular brining method. If you look up a number of books, you will see that some people (like Heston) recommends an 8% brine for 8 hours. Thomas Keller recommends a 5% brine for 12 hours. (NB: an 8% brine is 8g of salt per 100g water). I did an experiment where I brined three chicken breasts in different concentrations and found that the lowest concentration (a 4% brine for 12 hours) resulted in the most moist, succulent chicken - but unlike the other brines, a low concentration brine is not enough to season the chicken - so you have to add more seasoning afterwards.

Wet brining was my go-to method for the past year, but it has a major drawback. The same effect that causes moisture to hang on to the meat also causes moisture to hang on to the skin. I cooked beautifully moist chicken with rubbery skin for two years, trying all sorts of methods to crisp up the skin before I realized what was happening and junked the technique. My current recommendation is:

- injection brining: in this technique a brine solution is injected into the meat and allowed to equilibrate for at least 2 hours before cooking. You inject 20% of the weight of the chicken in brine - for a 2kg chicken you need to prepare 400mL of brine. The major advantage, apart from crispy skin, is flavour and cost. If you want a lemon or bay leaf flavour in your brine, you need to add much less to make only 200mL of brine as opposed to 4L of brine you need for wet brining!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Recipe

Equipment required
- Pressure cooker (optional)
- Injection brining syringe or normal medical needle and syringe
- Rotisserie (optional)

Roast Chicken Stock
- 1kg chicken bits (rack, neck, winglets)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme, parsley)
- 3L water

Roast the chicken bits until nicely browned, then pressure cook all of the above for one hour. Allow the cooker to cool naturally to release the pressure. Strain the stock and boil to reduce down to 1L. ALTERNATIVE: skip this step and use pre-bought chicken stock. Results won't be as good!

Roast chicken skin butter mixture
- 100gm butter
- chicken fat (from the cavity of the chicken) and spare chicken skin, finely chopped
- chopped parsley
- chopped dill
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped

Melt half the butter at low heat then add the finely chopped skin and chicken fat. Once browned, turn off the heat and add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour into a container and refrigerate until solid.

Roast Chicken
- 2kg chicken
- 500mL Roast chicken stock from above
- Roast chicken skin stuffing from above
- 8gm salt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp black peppercorn

The quantity of brine required is 20% of the weight of the chicken - i.e. for a 2kg chicken, you need 400mL of brine. The brine concentration is 4% - i.e. for every 100mL of brine, you need 4gm of salt. Please take this into consideration as your bird may not be 2kg.

First, make the brine. Bring 500mL of the chicken stock to the boil and add the garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorn. Boil for 10 minutes then turn off the heat to infuse. Add the lemon juice and strain. Measure out 400mL of this liquid and add the salt.

Inject the brine into the chicken as per this video.

Now, prepare the skin for roasting. For this, I borrow a method from Chinese chefs who make Peking duck - the skin is incredibly crispy using this method. Using your fingers, loosen the skin from the meat all over. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and prepare an ice bath. Plunge the chicken into the boiling water for 20 seconds, then refresh in the ice bath. Repeat this step three times. This step gelatinizes the proteins in the skin and renders some fat - which will really help the skin crisp up. Now insert the roast chicken butter in between the skin and the meat. Leave the chicken uncovered in a refrigerator for 72 hours for the brine to redistribute and the skin to dry out.

Before you cook, bring the chicken up to temperature then chop the ends of the drumsticks off. This helps the heat conduct into the meat and gives a more attractive appearance. To stop the bones from burning, wrap the ends of the bones in foil.

I prefer to use a rotisserie, but use whatever method works for you. If using a rotisserie, I tend to do a slow roast - set oven at 100C, then roast until the breast is 55C and thighs 60C (about 90-120 minutes). Yes, this is deliberately undercooked! I then rest the chicken, crank the oven to 250C, then put the chicken back in for about 10 minutes until the skin is golden. This step will raise the temperature of the chicken to cooked - i.e. 60C for breast and 65C for thighs.

If I did not have a rotisserie, I would roast the chicken breast side down for 45 minutes then turn it breast side up until I reach the desired cooking temperature. Result:

Here is another attempt:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Keith. Sounds wonderful. I'll have to try the injection-brining method as I've yet to try doing that. Your Roast Chicken Skin Butter sounds delicious.

The other thing I do to make the skin crispy is to separate the skin from the flesh. Using either your fingers or a spoon, starting from the rear, separate the skin, and loosen it all from the flesh. Then put the butter mixture UNDER the skin.

Instead of the beer can, I swear by this: http://bigkitchenqa.jaggedpeak.com/...ertical-Roaster-Rack-456952/Cookware-Roasters

You can spread the legs out or pinch them closer together for different size chickens. It will even work to hold the chicken upside-down to have the thighs cook a bit more than the breast using a deep roasting tray.

08290.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Keith, you have to let me know when you are cooking this again because I'm coming over!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm a big fan of the butterfly technique. You cut the backbone out, butterfly the whole bird and...this is the trick...use a very sharp knife to cut through the skin, peel it back away from the breast halves, thighs and drumsticks, then season the meat, pull the skin back over, season the skin and put in the oven on a broiler pan. 40 minutes will do for most. It comes out juicy and tender with crispy skin. And the flavor? Well, that depends on how you season it. Rubbed with mix of mashed garlic, lemon zest, olive oil under the skin and lightly rubbed with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper on the skin, it's enough to make a grown man cry.

But I'm trying that chicken stock injected chicken thing too. Sounds like a stunner.

Tim

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Can you FedEx overnight one to New York? I'll reciprocate. ;)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I'll just leave this picture here: tomorrow night's dinner. The chicken has been injected with the roast chicken brine (pictured on left). When I reheated the frozen chicken stock, the whole kitchen smelt of roast chicken. You just know that this is going to be good!

This time, I pre-gelatinized the skin by plunging it in boiling water and refreshing in ice water, repeated this step three times. This tightens the skin around the meat and SHOULD result in crispier skin. I then painted it with a mixture of soy and paprika. The chicken looks so nice and plump with such a nice colour, and it hasn't been cooked yet!! Right now it is resting uncovered in my fridge, which will dry out the skin.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Dinner tonight for a couple of friends.

Entree: sous-vide mussels as per MC@Home. I followed the MC&H recipe to a point but substituted ingredients to make my own sauce.

Alternative entree of panfried scallops for the one guest who didn't like mussels.

Main: remember last night's photo? Well this was what it looked like after roasting. A bit of a disappointment, was not quite as good as the other chooks. The sauce had a bit of bitterness through it which I think ruined the whole dish. To make it worse, I wasn't sure what caused the bitterness either.

Side: mashed potato from Heston Blumenthal at Home. I couldn't get his potatoes, so I used Royal Blues. Retrograded the starch via sous-vide at 72C for 40 minutes, then passed through a tamis twice and adjusted with butter, milk, and seasonings. This was truly spectacular (if I say so myself) - super smooth and creamy.

Side: sous-vide carrots with cumin, fennel seed, and tarragon. 85C for 40 minutes then reheated at 62C.

Side: sugar snap peas with Ortiz anchovies.

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
One trick I use for whole chicken or turkey is to put a bag of ice over the breast meat prior to cooking. This allows the legs and thighs to start at a higher temp and thus they both finish @ the same time. Rotisserie is my preferred cooking method.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I buy mine already prepared form Costco and serve them on paper plates...No fuss. No muss!;):p

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

Another roast chicken dinner.

Chicken: injected it with a brine made from milk, pepper, and 4% salt. The milk was brought up to 90C with 2 tbsp of black peppercorns then left to infuse. It was then dunked into boiling water to tighten up the skin, then brushed with a mixture of paprika, salt, and melted butter. I left it in the fridge to air dry for two days to help the skin crisp up. It was then slow roasted at 100C to an internal temperature of 60C, rested for 45 minutes, then returned to the oven at 250C to crisp up the skin.

Pan roasted fennel (as per Ottolenghi): cut into steaks then seasoned and seared on butter, then into the oven to finish cooking. Sprinkled with lemon zest.

Chanterey carrots: microwaved for 3 minutes then briefly sauteed.

Chicken jus: a simple reduction of chicken stock.

Garnish: fennel fronds, lemon zest, nasturtium.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I buy mine already prepared form Costco and serve them on paper plates...No fuss. No muss!;):p

For the ease, I like Costco too. But the last time we brought home a Costco roast chicken, my 9 year old son says "Papa, can you please, please, please just buy a dead chicken and roast it? Yours is so much better."

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I much prefer my own roast chicken actually, but after a hard day's work the Costco bird does the tick. When I make it I keep it rather simple and on a bed of onions, carrots (sometimes potatoes as well), then rubbed lightly with some oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and ground black pepper.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing