Koetsu

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
Jadis, when the inevitable time comes for a rebuild of my old Koetsu Black, will Koetsu rebuild it as it was with it's original magnets or will they suggest trading in on a new Black Goldline since the case style of the old Black is closer to the modern Sigs and Urushi's rather than the modern Black Goldline? Thanks.
Rick

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis, when the inevitable time comes for a rebuild of my old Koetsu Black, will Koetsu rebuild it as it was with it's original magnets or will they suggest trading in on a new Black Goldline since the case style of the old Black is closer to the modern Sigs and Urushi's rather than the modern Black Goldline? Thanks.
Rick
Hi Rick,
On a rebuild, I believe they will give you a brand new magnet. I was told by my regional dealer that every part gets back to the owner as new, except the body. No trade in from Koetsu Japan. Maybe the local dealer will, am not so sure.

Reactions: RickS

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I saw this link from a user group. Very informative, about the differences between Koetsu models.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I saw this link from a user group. Very informative, about the differences between Koetsu models.

thank you!

I liked specially:

"Sugano San the elder used a Fidelity Research FR64S Tonearm with his creations, this beast has an effective mass of over 35g….!!!!"

Explains the synergy of Koetsu and the FR64s tonearm :)

Reactions: RickS and jadis

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
Hi Rick,
On a rebuild, I believe they will give you a brand new magnet. I was told by my regional dealer that every part gets back to the owner as new, except the body. No trade in from Koetsu Japan. Maybe the local dealer will, am not so sure.
Thank you Jadis. The other reason I asked is because I “think” I’ve read the early Koetsu Black had Alnico magnets instead of Cobalt like the Black Goldline uses. Not that there’s anything wrong with Cobalt magnets mind you. But I think I would expect to be charged a bit of a premium to get new Alnico magnets, if that’s the case. And that’s fine too.

I really wouldn’t want to trade off an early and cool specimen either way lol.

Thank you once again.
Rick

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank you Jadis. The other reason I asked is because I “think” I’ve read the early Koetsu Black had Alnico magnets instead of Cobalt like the Black Goldline uses. Not that there’s anything wrong with Cobalt magnets mind you. But I think I would expect to be charged a bit of a premium to get new Alnico magnets, if that’s the case. And that’s fine too.

I really wouldn’t want to trade off an early and cool specimen either way lol.

Thank you once again.
Rick
My pleasure, Rick.
I understand what you mean with the Alnico Magnets and the Cobalt ones. I was told, again by my regional dealer, to 'trust' Sugano-san's decision in his era of Koetsu's production. There were 'legends' about his father's touch, and nothing much is really documented in audio magazines about them such that it became a folklore of sorts. That is, if the present crop of Koetsus, from Black to the Blue Lace, exude the performance worthy of the Koetsu name, then be assured to have the same excellent quality in a rebuilt, old magnets or new magnets. I was told too that old magnets may be deemed inferior (in terms of condition, so this is case to case), and Sugano-san will indeed replace it with the new crop of magnets they use. You can specify that you want your magnet retained if you wish, but the final say will be in Japan, because they do always protect their name vis-a-vis their product's performance. That is why if you own a Koetsu, it is best to have it rebuilt by them.

Reactions: RickS

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
Thank you so much for the reply jadis! As I’ve mentioned, I got this Koetsu used but in still high functioning condition. I’m making CD recordings of select jazz, orchestral, pop and rock music to have a catalog of what this cartridge sounds like so I won’t have to rely on faded memory in the future.

Hopefully before the end of summer I’ll be ready to have the Black restored to however Koetsu deems correct and from that point I won’t have to stress about how long till the cartridge fails. Which is what worries me now seeing as it’s probably 38 years old!! Lol. This cartridge never fails to impress.

Reactions: jadis

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Excellent reading material, one of the most comprehensive koetsu comparisons I’ve come across. Well done and than you for bringing to our attention.

Reactions: RickS and jadis

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I had a blue lace and loved it. Not with diamond cantilever though. Bet it will be amazing

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing