VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
IMG_rsp.jpg

Reactions: mulveling and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
They're 3 different gain/ratio taps. The unorthodox ohm/impedance labels are EAR's "guidance" as to what cartridge coil DC resistance they think matches best with each tap. Of course the problem is that optimal matching also depends on output level, and different manufacturers have different ratios of coil ohms to output levels (Benz ruby plate models being particularly difficult to match to a SUT due to their low output per ohm). They are roughly 28x (4 ohms), 18x, and 10x ratios on the MC-3. The newer MC-4 has 3, 6, 12, and 40 ohms taps for roughly 30x, 24x, 18x, and 10x ratios.

On my MC-3, the 4 ohms is by far best for Koetsus (which all have 5 ohms coils). No telling whether 4 ohms or the MC-4's 6 ohms tap is the better match, yet. I have an MC-4 on order (they are backlogged so it will be a while) to find out :)

If you've got the Koetsu bug (which it seems like), go for it! I've got a mix myself (2 Onyxes, Coralstone, Blue Lace Diamond), have had Koetsu rebuilds, and they all have a different flavor to sound. Some (non-Platinum magnets) have a much different flavor to sound. I suspect final factory fine-tuning and motor selection can have as much influence on the sound as body material (but not as much as magnets!). Of course our enjoyment of the body's beauty factors in as well! I've wanted to add a Rhodenite for a while now.

I've shirked away from using this RSP in the past; it had sounded slightly lightweight in bass (relative to stones). But in the past few years system upgrades have happened, gear changes, and I quit drinking which does at least slightly affect my hearing preferences. These sober ears need a softer top end now - I'll be trying some copper cables to replace my silver, lol. And man, that EAR really brings out the low end. It's really a lovely change of pace for the time being with RSP / EAR - very well balanced, smoother & creamier than the Blue Lace Diamond / Koetsu SUT which is more detailed. Time always sorts these things out for me, so we'll see where it goes.

Incidentally I find the Blue Lace very frustrating to photograph. The delicate fine lacing gets so easily washed out with light. Here's another attempt where I had the main face in soft shadow and had to goose the contrast & saturation to bring the grain back.

View attachment 87002
You're right about lighting and getting its grain come out nicely. I kept these pics from 2006, before the client took it. Got lucky with the table lamp lighting. :D

2.1.jpg

100_2716.JPG

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So I own Rhodonite, Blue Tigereye diamond and Coralstone mono ... do I owe it to myself to try wood bodied RSP?
Must one be in the collection?
I think so. There is something special with the Rosewood body sound. ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
They're 3 different gain/ratio taps. The unorthodox ohm/impedance labels are EAR's "guidance" as to what cartridge coil DC resistance they think matches best with each tap. Of course the problem is that optimal matching also depends on output level, and different manufacturers have different ratios of coil ohms to output levels (Benz ruby plate models being particularly difficult to match to a SUT due to their low output per ohm). They are roughly 28x (4 ohms), 18x, and 10x ratios on the MC-3. The newer MC-4 has 3, 6, 12, and 40 ohms taps for roughly 30x, 24x, 18x, and 10x ratios.

On my MC-3, the 4 ohms is by far best for Koetsus (which all have 5 ohms coils). No telling whether 4 ohms or the MC-4's 6 ohms tap is the better match, yet. I have an MC-4 on order (they are backlogged so it will be a while) to find out :)

If you've got the Koetsu bug (which it seems like), go for it! I've got a mix myself (2 Onyxes, Coralstone, Blue Lace Diamond), have had Koetsu rebuilds, and they all have a different flavor to sound. Some (non-Platinum magnets) have a much different flavor to sound. I suspect final factory fine-tuning and motor selection can have as much influence on the sound as body material (but not as much as magnets!). Of course our enjoyment of the body's beauty factors in as well! I've wanted to add a Rhodenite for a while now.

I've shirked away from using this RSP in the past; it had sounded slightly lightweight in bass (relative to stones). But in the past few years system upgrades have happened, gear changes, and I quit drinking which does at least slightly affect my hearing preferences. These sober ears need a softer top end now - I'll be trying some copper cables to replace my silver, lol. And man, that EAR really brings out the low end. It's really a lovely change of pace for the time being with RSP / EAR - very well balanced, smoother & creamier than the Blue Lace Diamond / Koetsu SUT which is more detailed. Time always sorts these things out for me, so we'll see where it goes.

Incidentally I find the Blue Lace very frustrating to photograph. The delicate fine lacing gets so easily washed out with light. Here's another attempt where I had the main face in soft shadow and had to goose the contrast & saturation to bring the grain back.

View attachment 87002
Thanks for the info on the impedance taps, Mike. Hopefully one day I get to have an MC3 to play around with.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Beautiful ,

I use the MC 4 sometimes with Koetsu Jade Platinum and RSP.

Its a toss up on the 4 and 6 ohm inputs. Mostly I run direct to the Io with volume controls.

Do you have any experience with the luxman 8030 & 8020 SUT? I have one on hand will try it in a serious way next.
No experience with the Luxmans yet - it's crazy how many SUT devices are out there! Still so many more to try. I have a Quadratic MC-1 loaner coming on from Todd the Vinyl Junkie. It's a CineMag under the hood, but it at least looks more substantial than their Sky / 1131 models - twice the size. I do love the midrange of the Sky - nice "vintage tube amp" tone. It's everything else that falls apart compared to the EAR.

Lovely Jade and RSP! And the Aesthetix Io must be stunning. I love my VAC Renaissance, but I'm dependent on SUT boxes because its internal Lundahls aren't my favorite. I wish it were easier to find a high quality active headamp to try. I have a Hagerman Piccolo2 in my toolkit but it obviously can't compare to good SUTs.

You're right about lighting and getting its grain come out nicely. I kept these pics from 2006, before the client took it. Got lucky with the table lamp lighting. :D
That Blue Lace is wonderful! Looks like it probably has a more striking /contrasted grain than mine.

Reactions: jadis

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I use an esoteric E-02 with my Koetsu Wajima and it sounds excellent running fully balanced at 100 ohms. I used to own a blue lace into an ARC REF phono (original all valve design) which my ex-wife “kindly” sold whilst working overseas in Qatar

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I use an esoteric E-02 with my Koetsu Wajima and it sounds excellent running fully balanced at 100 ohms. I used to own a blue lace into an ARC REF phono (original all valve design) which my ex-wife “kindly” sold whilst working overseas in Qatar
I cringe for the loss of your ARC / Blue Lace, but that sounds like a great current setup. I'd love to try either a Rhodenite or an Urushi next. How did you like the ARC? That or Aesthetix seem to be the best options for a tubed phono without relying on a SUT.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
From memory, straight into the MM input gave the best sound quality, the transformers (aJensen model) took some of the life away and the additional gain wasn’t needed.
I required a balanced input which the E-02 has. Trying to stay with just a few manufacturers (Esoteric, ARC and Wilson) that I have used for a long time. I’m sure there may be better for similar cost but limited demonstration availability in the North West of the UK prevents too much diversifying.
I may buy another stone bodied model in the future

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
From memory, straight into the MM input gave the best sound quality
IMHO 47kohm loading is too high for a 4ohm cartridge. You’re tipping up both ends of frequency range. I recommend stick between 50-100ohms max 470ohm.

the transformers (aJensen model) took some of the life away and the additional gain wasn’t needed.
On the contrary an active phono stage took the life of a mc cartridge compared to a very good SUT. I’ve never seen a better active phono stage than a very good SUT&tube phono and I’ve seen a lot.

I required a balanced input which the E-02 has.
Almost all mc cartridges are balanced and almost all good quality tonearms are wired as balanced. Cable termination can be rca or xlr. Plug type and signal topology are two different things. Most high quality SUTs are made using balanced topology but they accept rca plugs. In that situation both positive and negative connections are separated from ground. Some have an option to convert balanced to single ended. only a couple tube MM phono stages offer balanced input, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re better.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Thank you for your opinion mtemur, and if it contradicts my own, so what!
I'm referring to my own experience. You never heard my system, so respectfully don’t try and patronize me and kindly keep your “expert“opinions to yourself.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Hi Nemal1

FWIW, I read mtemur's message as trying to be helpful not patronizing. IMO, this generally ISN'T like loads of other forums where everyone is trying to abuse everyone else. Might be worth assuming its a misunderstanding and give him the benefit of the doubt? Maybe I'm being naive..

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I only shared my opinion IOT help and written IMHO at the beginning of my post. thank you for such a good explanation @Chop.
@Nemal1 you may know better than everybody else and we may learn from you. I honestly mean it. we share our opinions and we learn from each other. that’s what supposed to happen here.

Reactions: new2Krell and Chop

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
After more than one year i dont listen my coralstone diamond,and after reading again this thread,yesterday i put my Koetsu on Vyger,with phono CH P1 at around 80/100 ohm and i can tell is really a fantastic cartridges,big scene and deep,very natural on voice and perfect for lazz,choir and chamber music
Really a must

Attachments

• IMG_7941.jpg
    IMG_7941.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7939.jpg
    IMG_7939.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 41

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
After more than one year i dont listen my coralstone diamond,and after reading again this thread,yesterday i put my Koetsu on Vyger,with phono CH P1 at around 80/100 ohm and i can tell is really a fantastic cartridges,big scene and deep,very natural on voice and perfect for lazz,choir and chamber music
Really a must
Wow that coralstone is beautiful.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Really a must
Since your sons are not interested in hifi, you should pass it on to the next generation, me.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear friend,my son has no interest in hifi,so you are younger,and in my will i put some product interesting for you

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear friend,my son has no interest in hifi,so you are younger,and in my will i put some product interesting for you
I will take care of your QUAD so well my dear friend Gian.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am sorry,i told you,i change my Quad with Acoustat X plus money.
Quad had more hystoric value because few and old but Acoustat to listen i prefer

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am sorry,i told you,i change my Quad with Acoustat X plus money.
Quad had more hystoric value because few and old but Acoustat to listen i prefer

Tang doesn't even pay attention to what gear you have, what you change, etc. So if you want to leave gear do to me not him

Reactions: gian60

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing