Koetsu

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I just read this thread from the start and I realize that:
1) Koetsu fans are so devoted they have multiple units.
2) The cartridge that might sound closest to a Koetsu if I were to guess might be Supex. Supex was the cartridge that Sugano San designed before he started Koetsu.
3) The nude koetsu is really rare as Jadis was only able to find two users.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just read this thread from the start and I realize that:
1) Koetsu fans are so devoted they have multiple units.
2) The cartridge that might sound closest to a Koetsu if I were to guess might be Supex. Supex was the cartridge that Sugano San designed before he started Koetsu.
3) The nude koetsu is really rare as Jadis was only able to find two users.
Hi Mullard88,

Glad to see you here after a long while. Yes, Koetsu users almost always get a second or more models. I learned that the first ever time I laid eyes on a Koetsu. And if you recall, you brought me to the owner's place which is also inside the village where I live. He had a Koetsu playing and another beside his turntable, inside its box. I was wondering why he had to have 2 Koetsus. I later on know the answer. About the Supex, it's a very rare item, so rare I really have not seen one playing nor in a box.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I believe Sugano had a hand designing the Supex 900, readily seen on early Linns with a Supex tonearm, early to mid 70’s I believe.
my late father has original long bodied rosewood and onyx, the only models at the time at the phenomenal cost of £500 & £800 respectively

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
my late father has original long bodied rosewood and onyx, the only models at the time at the phenomenal cost of £500 & £800 respectively
And my understanding is that those 2 represent the mystical 'Koetsu Sound' in the midband but of course the critics called it 'rolled off' highs and 'flabby' bass. I've heard that all too often here. from its competing dealers, of course. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: peelaaa

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I believe Sugano had a hand designing the Supex 900, readily seen on early Linns with a Supex tonearm, early to mid 70’s I believe.
I used to use a supex step up transformer in the 80s.I had a koetsu black.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Mitchell Cotter Sut went very well with Koetsu Urushi, unfortunately very expensive on the used market. bryston mk II has the same inner workings. usually much cheaper a bargain.;)if find them buy blind without thinking 2342258-7a3e7ae7-mitchell-cotter-mk2-step-up-transformer-sut-made-for-bryston.jpg

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I agree that Mitch Cotter sut and Koetsu are synergistic. To carry the synergy further, an Audio Research phono stage at the end of a Koetsu, Mitch Cotter chain is my preferred poison.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

Ralphio

May 11, 2015
Which of those in the lineup of Koetsu photos is the Blue Tiger-Eye? Just curious.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yesterday I was tidying up and found a box of some of my diamond cantilever koetsus included in the above pictures is a rare black onyx, blue tiger eye, rare white jade, also a original sugano grey onyx personally later upgraded with diamond cantilever,rhodonite, brown tiger eye, blue onyx, azule. I have quite a few more too
The question on the last post made me realize I missed out something here. I hope to see pictures too of the blue tiger eye, plus the black onyx, and white jade. I didn't know Koetsu had such models.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Th
The question on the last post made me realize I missed out something here. I hope to see pictures too of the blue tiger eye, plus the black onyx, and white jade. I didn't know Koetsu had such models.
These were special orders the black onyx and white jade were one offs the tiger eye only a few were made. I will take so close ups in the next few days

Reactions: jadis

108CY

May 4, 2013

Attachments

• thumbnail-6-1.jpeg
    thumbnail-6-1.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 11

108CY

May 4, 2013
Th

These were special orders the black onyx and white jade were one offs the tiger eye only a few were made. I will take so close ups in the next few days
This is the white Burma Jade very different to the light and dark green jades another one off it has tremendous speed and very good bass the green ones are much slower in general and wooly in the bass tend to drown the midrange.
thumbnail-10.jpeg
Black onyx is very neutral very low grain
BB

108CY

May 4, 2013
thumbnail-9.jpeg

The one off black onyx diamond in one sense is the most perfect if that's what you looking for very neutral sounding does note over emphasis anything its well balanced I would like a little more expression but that's why I have others. The rare one off carnelian orange is similar in some ways apart from it more expression in the midrange and has a bitt less air on the top that's a stunning looking cartridge my friend Eric owns it.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
View attachment 85318

The one off black onyx diamond in one sense is the most perfect if that's what you looking for very neutral sounding does note over emphasis anything its well balanced I would like a little more expression but that's why I have others. The rare one off carnelian orange is similar in some ways apart from it more expression in the midrange and has a bitt less air on the top that's a stunning looking cartridge my friend Eric owns it.
I still miss the koetsu black I had 35 years ago.

Reactions: 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013
I still miss the koetsu black I had 35 years ago.

nice cartridge the original blacks were Very different beast the onyx which has far more detail and speed

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
View attachment 85318

May I ask around what year were these one off and other rarities made? Very interesting.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Here is a better shot of the blue tiger eye note the steaks of gold i like this cartridge i had two one with more blue but this one sounded much better to my ears great open grainless midrange they made a a few of these and that was it the bass was very good and excellent in the nuance stakes. All my koetsus on this thread are diamond cantilever I do have a seperate box of borons that i hope too find some day soon.
thumbnail.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing