Koetsu

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
LOVE that Coralstone Mik!
...or the Azule, or the Blue Lace...

108CY

May 4, 2013
Yesterday I was tidying up and found a box of some of my diamond cantilever koetsus included in the above pictures is a rare black onyx, blue tiger eye, rare white jade, also a original sugano grey onyx personally later upgraded with diamond cantilever,rhodonite, brown tiger eye, blue onyx, azule. I have quite a few more too

108CY

May 4, 2013

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

108CY

May 4, 2013
Awesome. Something usually a dealer keeps in his stock inventory. :)
Thanks these are my personal cartridges you know how it is sometimes we are our biggest customers :D

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Thanks these are my personal cartridges you know how it is sometimes we are our biggest customers :D
Wow!
Congratulations on the fabulous collection.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
How does a Blue Lace look like ?

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Does it have a hue of blue ?

Reactions: 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013
Reactions: joeling

108CY

May 4, 2013
Fantastic. I thought I was doing well with a tsugaru, black and the sut.
Do you have a favourite?
I have quite a few more they all sound different and have their own traits. The black onyx is ver neutral and is very balanced great midrange and very good when it comes to grain, the Rhodonite is very explosive with great bass, the Blue lace onyx can be a be a bit of the soft side for some with its calm nature. I can go into alot of detail into each one for now for me personally I like the white Burma jade not the green one and the blue tiger eye and black onyx. But these are not available so can't really recommend them.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Koetsu seems like the ultimate "artisinal" cartridge manufacturer and their approach seems different from many other Japanese cartridge manufacturers. I see all the different stone bodies displayed with comments about their sound. Are the sound differences due only to the different stone materials used for the body ? Or are the internal "engines" all somewhat different to account for their various sounds? Stupid question #2: Are these designed by someone who says "I'm looking for a certain sound and I think a specific stone will provide that?" Or is a matter of "hey, that stone is pretty. Let's try it and see what it sounds like"?

I'm just trying to understand the line a little better.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Koetsu seems like the ultimate "artisinal" cartridge manufacturer and their approach seems different from many other Japanese cartridge manufacturers. I see all the different stone bodies displayed with comments about their sound. Are the sound differences due only to the different stone materials used for the body ? Or are the internal "engines" all somewhat different to account for their various sounds? Stupid question #2: Are these designed by someone who says "I'm looking for a certain sound and I think a specific stone will provide that?" Or is a matter of "hey, that stone is pretty. Let's try it and see what it sounds like"?

I think the different stones and colours actually produce a different sound.I to wonder if the insides are the same.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I think the different stones and colours actually produce a different sound.I to wonder if the insides are the same.
I was told that the motor inside Koetsu is all the same. After a batch of motors were made, they are tested and graded.

The better ones are used in gem stone, lower grade ones are for wooden or other shells. The best ones are fitted with diamond cantilever.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Koetsu has always been a 'mysterious' company. From the outset, when the brand was being carried by dealers in Asia and North America, very few information can be seen. Not even the address of city where Koetsu is made has been published, even as of today. No company catalogue, in this era where manufacturers type volumes of tech hype and NASA materials to bolster their sales, Koetsu does not even provide a single piece of paper with their product to give specs or instructions. Yet, the company has grown their models to almost a level of proliferation of colors and shades of wood. As to the question, my answer will be the former. Yes, I'm looking for the Koetsu house sound where is mid is lush and musically tingling to the senses but my choice for this wood be the Rosewood Signature model. The stones provide a more 'modern' sound, maybe to counter some old criticism that its highs were rolled off and its bass, flabby and slow. And for me, the differences in the stones is like splitting hairs, I really cannot say much about the differences but I agree with a certain poster earlier who used a few words for some of the stone models.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing