Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I keep it at 63 balanced from the Gryphon Pandora Line stage. Couldn't ask for better gain match.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I keep it at 63 balanced from the Gryphon Pandora Line stage. Couldn't ask for better gain match.

Where on the scale are you setting the line stage gain? 25%? 50%? 75%?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
To my ears and in my system 63 was the best as it is passing the entire signal to my preamp which is then used to control the gain. when Lukasz was here in Feb we did the experiment of going direct to amp and I can tell you that using the volume control on the Horizon produced fabulous sound. Several members here in fact are going direct and can attest, I’m sure of this
I still haven't experimented direct. I like what I hear so much I'm hesitant to play around. Which is a pretty lame excuse!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Where on the scale are you setting the line stage gain? 25%? 50%? 75%?
I would say typically 50%? Morning listening lower. Rarely do I manually change medium bias to high bias on the line stage. I used to use the green bias cable but I'm so familiar now when it would switch to high bias I just manually change it. High bias usually has too much wine involved.

Reactions: dminches

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
To my ears and in my system 63 was the best as it is passing the entire signal to my preamp which is then used to control the gain. when Lukasz was here in Feb we did the experiment of going direct to amp and I can tell you that using the volume control on the Horizon produced fabulous sound. Several members here in fact are going direct and can attest, I’m sure of this
I have been direct going back to my Pacific. I have been debating endlessly the need for a Pre but the sound is already damn good going direct to the AC Essentia. My VC listening level is usually 30.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I still haven't experimented direct. I like what I hear so much I'm hesitant to play around. Which is a pretty lame excuse!
I echoed your comments for a year before I tried it. It was a simple pull the cable out and plug into amp. You should do it for shits and giggles. You may be surprised. I would love to hear your comments if you do.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Like you if I'm loving what Im hearing, why change, because who could ask for anything better ? Having said that It was worth the comparison for me. Bottom line I think that in the chain of things and if money is a factor I would spend the money on the Horizon and go direct. What I heard at my house was excellent. Like you I still feel that my amp and preamp and phono stage were designed to work best when used together. So for me, old habits die hard.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
fwiw, while I was skeptical about going direct from my Horizon to, at the time Simaudio 860a v2 monos, and I was even told by a local dealer to be skeptical, the Horizon direct obviated the need for my prior $36k Simaudio 850p preamp. There was virtually no difference. Clearly my local dealer hadn’t spent time w the Horizon. Then selling the Simaudio amps and preamp and going direct to Audionet Heisenberg monos further uped the SQ.

I must say I am still very curious how the Audionet Stern would change the equation, but for the time being, I am absolutely sold on Lukasz claim that the Horizon offers one of the best linestages out there (I do not listen to any other inputs, so makes it easier).

Further, the gain from the Heisenbergs is less than the 860s, so now at volume 1 on the Horizon, it is very quiet, quiet enough I can leave it playing all day long even while my wife works in the neighboring room. The gain on the 860s was too high.

My sweet spot volume is currently between 40 and 50 on the Horizon, depending on the track, mood etc. (One oddity, which doesn't bother me, is that 47 on the Horizon sounds louder than 48 and 49 until equalized back at 50.)

Very curious to hear from other Horizon owners that are able to do a comparison w a linestage versus direct to amp comparisons. Take good care everyone, great thread, and privileged to be part of this community.

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I run the Horizon direct to either of my amps (see below) and have no issues with SQ, but still have too much gain, especially with the 100w SS amp. This is partly because my favorite triodes by a stretch are the Mullard ECC32. I can admit to that now because I just bought my third pair;) These tubes are high gain. My speakers are also about 96db. Often I listen at 01 on the Horizon VC. 20 is full clip.

I do have a Misho Myronov wooden pre which can primarily be used as an attenuator, but the SQ is reduced. Yes, it’s only a $5k preamp, but it’s actually pretty good. It’s just not as good as the Horizon as a preamp alone. Not that close.

One option I have is to get lower sensitivity speakers. No not kidding. Or buy a $30k preamp as a better attenuator:rolleyes:. Unfortunately my wife lost the $400 noise cancelling headphones I bought for her. No I’m not kidding.

But Heisenbergs into Sonja 2.2’i’s sounds like a lovely solution.

Reactions: ctydwn

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You need a top-quality line stage to maximize the sound quality of the Horizon.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
One option I have is to get lower sensitivity speakers. No not kidding. Or buy a $30k preamp as a better attenuator:rolleyes:. Unfortunately my wife lost the $400 noise cancelling headphones I bought for her. No I’m not kidding.

But Heisenbergs into Sonja 2.2’i’s sounds like a lovely solution.
LOL, and my wife lost her mind when I mentioned that I was considering buying the AC Ageto Preamp at $72k.

Reactions: Pokey77 and ctydwn

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Can you please explain?
you and i attended the launch of the horizon at steves place. We both, I think auditioned the Horizon with preamp and without. At least Idid. To my ears the Horizon was "fine" without a line stage. It was better with it. On a smaller scale I have the ability to vary the output level of my dac or put it in fixed mode. While "volume" will increase when i increase the output level it is not the same as increasing the volume control of the amplifier. Things sound best when I select the optimum output level for the dac then use the volume control to vary loudness.
iIIRC you sold your preamp/line stage and proceed without it. That is fine by me.

Reactions: Willgolf and John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022
fwiw, while I was skeptical about going direct from my Horizon to, at the time Simaudio 860a v2 monos, and I was even told by a local dealer to be skeptical, the Horizon direct obviated the need for my prior $36k Simaudio 850p preamp. There was virtually no difference. Clearly my local dealer hadn’t spent time w the Horizon. Then selling the Simaudio amps and preamp and going direct to Audionet Heisenberg monos further uped the SQ.

I must say I am still very curious how the Audionet Stern would change the equation, but for the time being, I am absolutely sold on Lukasz claim that the Horizon offers one of the best linestages out there (I do not listen to any other inputs, so makes it easier).

Further, the gain from the Heisenbergs is less than the 860s, so now at volume 1 on the Horizon, it is very quiet, quiet enough I can leave it playing all day long even while my wife works in the neighboring room. The gain on the 860s was too high.

My sweet spot volume is currently between 40 and 50 on the Horizon, depending on the track, mood etc. (One oddity, which doesn't bother me, is that 47 on the Horizon sounds louder than 48 and 49 until equalized back at 50.)

Very curious to hear from other Horizon owners that are able to do a comparison w a linestage versus direct to amp comparisons. Take good care everyone, great thread, and privileged to be part of this community.
This is purely conjecture as I have never ran the H direct. BUT I have run many other DACS direct. Typically it starts off as "I can't believe what I have been missing" then it becomes edgy and fatiguing. It's a big trade off. Not constantly but passages of music don't take on the same tonality. The line stage/preamp adds a refinement that is difficult to duplicate. I wish it wasn't the case. I don't get off spending unnecessary money. Unless its for Tubes!!

Perhaps the H will surprise me. I won't be doing it anytime soon with "slice and dice knee replacement Monday" I do have 4 more REL CARBON SPECIALS coming Thursday. I want to see what all the fuss is about over the 6 pack array. Hopefully I'll have enough time to dial them in...Huge room 30' X 26 X 26H with an open loft, approx. 15K cubic feet, with the 9/12 pitch.

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
LOL, and my wife lost her mind when I mentioned that I was considering buying the AC Ageto Preamp at $72k.
Will,

I recommend the Sony WH-1000XM5 as a gift to your wife first. Make sure she is wearing them, then tell her how much the preamp costs.

Don‘t mean to imply I’m buying Heisenberg and YG. Merely an aspiration.

Still waiting for your deep dive report on the Essentia. Best of luck with your recovery.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Will,

I recommend the Sony WH-1000XM5 as a gift to your wife first. Make sure she is wearing them, then tell her how much the preamp costs.

Don‘t mean to imply I’m buying Heisenberg and YG. Merely an aspiration.

Still waiting for your deep dive report on the Essentia. Best of luck with your recovery.
Remember our deal Greg, if I don't come out of anesthesia. Door is unlocked boxes are on top of the wine room. Help yourself to some bottles. Better bring a big truck!

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
This is purely conjecture as I have never ran the H direct. BUT I have run many other DACS direct. Typically it starts off as "I can't believe what I have been missing" then it becomes edgy and fatiguing. It's a big trade off. Not constantly but passages of music don't take on the same tonality. The line stage/preamp adds a refinement that is difficult to duplicate. I wish it wasn't the case. I don't get off spending unnecessary money. Unless its for Tubes!!

Perhaps the H will surprise me. I won't be doing it anytime soon with "slice and dice knee replacement Monday" I do have 4 more REL CARBON SPECIALS coming Thursday. I want to see what all the fuss is about over the 6 pack array. Hopefully I'll have enough time to dial them in...Huge room 30' X 26 X 26H with an open loft, approx. 15K cubic feet, with the 9/12 pitch.
John,
My experience with other SS dacs with variable out mirrors yours. The H is different.

My bell weather of performance is 3D staging. The H direct into the SMC produces remarkable inner resolution and micro dynamics. Images are distinct and precisely located, precisely layered. Once I insert the preamp, much of this collapses. Typically the reverse is true.

For the 10,000 time, it depends on how electrically compatible the H is with the amp. One data point can’t be extrapolated. We all know that same mfg. preamp and amp pairing is a thing as they were often developed together. Why mess with that result, whether Lamm or Gryphon, or other? I get it. But if you start with the H then build a system out from there, I think it’s worthwhile casting a broad net with amp pairing. This is more my case.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Remember our deal Greg, if I don't come out of anesthesia. Door is unlocked boxes are on top of the wine room. Help yourself to some bottles. Better bring a big truck!
We have it in writing now with witnesses, LOL. Can I play with the cables too?

Best of luck with your recovery. ;)

Reactions: Pokey77 and John T

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
We have it in writing now with witnesses, LOL. Can I play with the cables too?

Best of luck with your recovery. ;)
P.S.
Send a note next week sometime. Truth is I’d come just for the wine. You are an excellent wine maker, and photographer.

Reactions: John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022
P.S.
Send a note next week sometime. Truth is I’d come just for the wine. You are an excellent wine maker, and photographer.
Most appreciated Greg...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing