Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
I painstakingly read through the DAC shootout link. It was very informative. I have no idea how that dude could get through all 5 and be able to differentiate them. I have a hard enough time just doing that going through a tube rolling exercise on the H.

Yes, I agree. I tried out a few different DAC’s last year and, at one point, had 4 in the house. It was hard work and I know that some enjoy it, but I personally find comparing gear a wearisome but sometimes necessary exercise. I will never purchase anything significant without a good test period in my own system.

Some of the DAC’s were more alike than different but maybe that’s to be expected if they are doing their job right from a technical perspective? I am no technical expert, but I concluded that the biggest differentiator mainly seemed to be in the analogue stage and also the volume control itself when used as a preamp. I will not argue technical merits, but with my experience I have come to realise that I do not prefer digital volume control. There also appears to be something going on regarding EQ with some DAC’s, possibly in an attempt to appear more ‘analogue’.

Reactions: Willgolf

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I have come to realise that I do not prefer digital volume control.
I’m not sure if you refer to H VC/pre amp but the point is that in H as such is of the top level and its purely analog even utilizing tube circuit of the DAC - check H user manual and the result using it as a preamp are on that level (mentioned in lenghtly review). Some might like it and use it direct but I’m still using my pre as i love what it adds to the mix but honestly direct sound exceptional as well (some who heard it at my place prefered it even vs via pre)..

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
I’m not sure if you refer to H VC/pre amp but the point is that in H as such is of the top level and its purely analog even utilizing tube circuit of the DAC - check H user manual and the result using it as a preamp are on that level (mentioned in lenghtly review). Some might like it and use it direct but I’m still using my pre as i love what it adds to the mix but honestly direct sound exceptional as well (some who heard it at my place prefered it even vs via pre)..

No, not at all. I read the manual from start to finish as well as checking online content - which is how I found that detailed write up that I posted. I have already said that it is exceptional and I also mentioned the great flexibility regarding input, output, DAC, Pre etc. I think I understand it quite well, although not as deeply as some of you tube experts. ;) I also like that you can run connected into preamp, power amp and headphone amp simultaneously by virtue of the 3 output options. Sub out is identical to XLR out and so ideal for the headphone amp.

I should perhaps add that whilst I do find testing and comparing wearisome, there are those rare occasions when you plug something in and instead of concentrating and listening intently, you are just swept away by the magic and it becomes a joyful rather than challenging experience. The Horizon fell into that category for me. So too did the Taiko Extreme and the two together is just the end of the quest.

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Do the Bendix 6384 require adapters? Are those NOS or new ones? I am so glad that you have found your configuration for long term. I often feel overwhelmed with all the possibilities, though like others I find they are all super delicious—just slightly different flavors. For example, I mentioned in the other thread that I got the TS 6SN7 black ones recently and though they havent burned in yet, I find the metal base Sylvania better so far. The TS are darker and bass is less controlled… Maybe lots of this is system dependent too. I love that Kraftwork as well. So cool. I have an Everest, though, and wont be changing any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Bendix needs an adapter.

Reactions: Sampajanna

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I should perhaps add that whilst I do find testing and comparing wearisome, there are those rare occasions when you plug something in and instead of concentrating and listening intently, you are just swept away by the magic and it becomes a joyful rather than challenging experience. The Horizon fell into that category for me. So too did the Taiko Extreme and the two together is just the end of the quest.
For years I was virtually all analog with vinyl and tape.Digital was borderline in my system at that time as I just didn't care that much to scratch an itch that wasn't there. Everything changed when I purchased a Pacific followed shortly behind by a Taiko Extreme. That for me was one of the best decisions I ever made, followed shortly afterwards by purchasing a Horizon. I used to love Roon until that fateful day when everyone complained about the downturn in SQ. Shortly afterwards Taiko brought out an alpha and soon a beta version of TAS and for me the rest has been history as I have listened to Roon only a few times in the past 4 years as Taiko has upped their game and now has XDMS in the alpha version and the SQ is better than any digital I have ever heard in my system. Together with everything Taiko has released or is soon to release I am now loving digital and I am now virtually 90% digital. For me the Horizon/Extreme combo has opened a universe of music free for the playing. For me the Extreme/Horizon is indeed end game. Enjoy!!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Since the Horizon can use tubes from the 6DJ8/ECC88/6922 family with an adapter, I'm wondering what anyone who happens to be using them or did so have really liked. This is for a VAC Master preamp, where following the head-fi, headphone based review of some years back I've tried the 6N23P Reflektor 1975 Silver Shields, Philips Miniwatt Holland and am currently running in an Amperex Orange Globe pair. PM if you'd like. Thanks,

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Happy Friday fellow WBF'ers!

As we spend the weekend readying ourselves for our upcoming presentations at the 2023 Florida Audio Expo next week, I wanted to take a moment to invite you all to visit with us in our exhibition Room 518 where we will be demonstrating the LampizatOr Horizon DAC and LampizatOr Gulfstream music server alongside some other fabulous accompanying equipment.

In addition to the World Class digital front end from the brilliant Lukasz Fikus, we will be debuting the Westminster Labs REI mono amplifiers along with the matching Quest preamplifier which are a natural pairing to the LampizatOr equipment. For those of you who have been watching, our first presentation of the Horizon alongside Westminster Labs at Capital AudioFest 2022 was met with very high acclaim and several Best of Show nominations.

In addition to the Westminter Labs amplification, we are making the World Debut of the brand new Tobian Soundsystems 12SE horn speakers from Switzerland. Cabling will be the fantastic Final Touch Audio cables which are handbuilt in Serbia and imported by us (Destination Sound). Additionally, shelving will be provided by Critical Mass Systems, ensuring these fabulous products are able to perform to their potential.

THE WESTBROOK ROOM

We have managed to secure a presentation space for the LampizatOr Horizon DAC in the largest exhibition room of the show, the Westbrook suite, where we will present our game changing flagship DAC alongside statement speakers from Acora Acoustics and exquisite tube amplification from VAC's Statement line.

You will not want to miss either of our spaces!

1676046933707.png

1676046941374.png

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
WOW! Talk about one stop shopping.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Fred

I just wanted to point out to readers of this thread that this weekend is exactly one year ago when you and Lukasz travelled to my neck of the woods where we had a weekend to do a soft launch of the Horizon. The rest seems to be history as I just noted the in that time this thread has accumulated over a quarter of a million views from happy Horizon users and from soon to be Horizon owners. Lots of incredible information shared by owners especially when it comes to tube rolling. Best of luck at the Florida show Fred

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Oh yes....the ones I need to write a few words about (HiFiStay Absolute Point) - but unfortunately I'm very very late with that...way to late as creator will not be able to read it anymore :( :( :(
View attachment 103980
Oh yes....the ones I need to write a few words about (HiFiStay Absolute Point) - but unfortunately I'm very very late with that...way to late as creator will not be able to read it anymore :( :( :(
View attachment 103980

Yes you definitely do! I think they add significantly to the capabilities of the Horizon

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yes you definitely do! I think they add significantly to the capabilities of the Horizon
I heard some nice news from John just now so lets see what you have to say as well ;)

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Ha fair! I had a friend round last night who is familiar with my system. We played some music for around 30 mins then put the HardPoint feet under the Horizon as per my pic above. Within 10 seconds my friend and I looked at each other in disbelief - the difference was pretty stark. Then for a couple of tracks there was a bit of aggression to the music where I started to think if this was too much of a good thing. I needn't have worried - clearly there is a period of settlement, as within 15 mins the music was a significant step on from the Horizon on stock feet.

I would describe the change as providing more precision to the leading edge of notes and then an incredible decay. This has a number of tangible benefits musically; timing is improved, as is the rhythmic drive; space around the notes is improved, giving more transparency and air around performers.
I should add that the point around leading edge doesn't mean the sound is etched or fatiguing in any way - in fact the opposite, as it provides a "rightness" to the sound which is both exciting and relaxing at the same time. Impressive!

How does this fit with your thoughts?

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
See I have the info ;) .
I'm just a bit puzzled as John told me you got AbsolutePoint or you got HardPoint Trinia? Anyhow as you know I have both sets of those Trina as production unit and Absolute Point as final pre production evaluation set. As you did, I also had several buddies present (who know my system well) to do the "shootout" of footers in the following sequence: Stock H -> Trinia -> Absolute -> Absolute + Stainless Cap and recently I received from John pure copper caps and special hard wood caps for Absolute. All those caps were made by Mr. Pyun primarily based on the comments/ideas from Rudolf @Audiocrack who was instrumental in giving detailed feedback.
I believe there is no need to describe the sound of stock unit as it's phenomenal as is. Adding Trinia in the mix things get instantly and noticeably improved in terms of timing/dynamics, decay of the notes and overall "calmness" in the presentation - can't really find better word. Inserting Absolute things get further improved and again not for the small margin but we had a feeling it was a tad edgy overall - not in a fatigue manner but maybe as you said too much of a good thing. So we placed stainless steel caps as a medium between small ceramic balls on Absolute and the bottom of Horizon and then all just settled in the most beautiful way possible by all means. Nothing in terms of edginess what we noticed and what was left was just pure joy and music. AbsolutePoint as such are things not leaving my room ever (nor any of the HiFiStay stuff as a matter of the fact).
What I need to add is that I was using them only under tube gear as somehow to me that makes full sense while great thing is that Rudolf is using/testing them under his Zenden transport hence we have different data point for Johns. Also I initiated with John to try to produce different caps from hardwood while Rudolf advised for pure copper ones which I ended using as well as it seems that they add a touch of additional warmth to the presentation. I still need to evaluate properly the hard wood caps but as advised by John, those were only trial production ones and seems like not ending in the final production runs.
BTW Trinia ended under Tobian preamp as there they are making their mojo :)
FF244404-76AD-4282-AAAE-574CDD2C11FC.jpeg

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Jon sent me both to try. I've only tried the Trinia so far - sounds like I have even more to look forward to with the AbsolutePoint.

Interesting your point about tube electronics - I tried the AbsolutePoint under the Stern to replace some Finite Element Cerabases but there was very little improvement.

BTW agree 100% with your observations on the changes.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Please provide a link to the AbsolutePoint Feet

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Please provide a link to the AbsolutePoint Feet
Hi Joe;

As I wrote above, I believe there are only few sets of AbsolutePoint outside of Korea at the moment as final pre production evaluation samples hence there is no info/link on them yet available.

Cheers;
G

Reactions: Audire

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
What’s interesting to me sociologically about this Horizon thread and the Taiko thread is they’re very active, but the installed base must be tiny indeed. I’m guessing less than 100 Horizon’s have been sold and probably an equivalent number of Taiko’s. I’m a bit biased by the San Francisco Bay Area where when we talk of a user community, we are used to orders of magnitude larger. The latest Open AI hit chatGPT from San Francisco has a user base of 100 million users in just a few short weeks, and Open AI’s market cap is around $30 billion. That’s probably a hugely conservative estimate — personally I’d value Open AI closer to Google’s market cap of a trillion dollars.

The real revolution will come when these advances in AI are combined with streaming services.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Note : Does Lampizator have a presence in the Manufacturers Forum?
The Horizon continues to impress.
Listen to the brief music over a high quality system.

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
I would describe the change as providing more precision to the leading edge of notes and then an incredible decay. This has a number of tangible benefits musically; timing is improved, as is the rhythmic drive; space around the notes is improved, giving more transparency and air around performers.
I should add that the point around leading edge doesn't mean the sound is etched or fatiguing in any way - in fact the opposite, as it provides a "rightness" to the sound which is both exciting and relaxing at the same time. Impressive!

How does this fit with your thoughts?

This is interesting since I have recently received a set of the Graphite Cones that Lucasz recommends for Horizon. I had previously been using HRS Nimbus footers and the difference is very much in line with what you have described here. In addition, size and depth of soundstage have improved quite notably and everything sounds more nimble and precise yet without any fatiguing elements. Very nice step up in transparency as well. Quite a pleasant surprise to be sure.

Reactions: Sampajanna

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing