Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

rspyder

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2021
Hi WBFs - What's Best Fellows. I have an Octave Jubilee Pre. The comparison between using the Horizon's VC directly and my preamp wasn't dramatic but certainly noticeable. The added benefits from the Octave linestage included a bigger sound (e.g. bigger and deeper soundstage), improved clarity and darkness, a bit more correctness in rhythm and pace and a slightly more relaxed sound while still retaining inner details and sonic nuances.

I do have a special NOS valve in one of the tube seats of the Jubilee, which helps impart some of those virtues, but even with the Telefunken ECC802s it was still dishing it up nicely.

Ray

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Hi WBFs - What's Best Fellows. I have an Octave Jubilee Pre. The comparison between using the Horizon's VC directly and my preamp wasn't dramatic but certainly noticeable. The added benefits from the Octave linestage included a bigger sound (e.g. bigger and deeper soundstage), improved clarity and darkness, a bit more correctness in rhythm and pace and a slightly more relaxed sound while still retaining inner details and sonic nuances.

I do have a special NOS valve in one of the tube seats of the Jubilee, which helps impart some of those virtues, but even with the Telefunken ECC802s it was still dishing it up nicely.

Ray
Good preamp will definately improve on the dac be it horizon or pac . I have gone that path and can report that regarless of how good the dac pre is...the sound is much better with a great pre in for sure. More air more presence and naturalness. It makes it come alive:)

Reactions: John T

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Wouldn’t you agree though Ian that one has to choose wisely and spend a lot to a get a preamp that can better the one in the Horizon?

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Wouldn’t you agree though Ian that one has to choose wisely and spend a lot to a get a preamp that can better the one in the Horizon?
Yes indeed:) i will go as far as saying that......without being able to explore off the shelf it will be quite hard to best as well. You get a change of scenary but it wont be a view of the whole city

A lot of brands out there and talented designers. Problem when it comes to manufacturing is the use of uninspiring components in a great design. So if you have a great component. And swap out the uninspiring components. What you have left is truly...unbeatable:). It seems in this day and age what we pay for is circuit design not the discrete components

Last edited:
Reactions: Sampajanna

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
My experience using the Horizon direct into our amplifiers is very positive on a range of exceptional speakers.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
My experience using the Horizon direct into our amplifiers is very positive on a range of exceptional speakers.
agree it is good but it can be better. in this hobby it is about getting better rather than be satisfied with good. If good is good....we might not have left the we speakers and fleawatt amps or even invented set amps.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Love those WEs. Starting with a Horizon with on board pre is a great way in when reaching for a nearly $50k DAC:)

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
My experience with direct has also been great, but I am sure also that with the right preamp, what Ian is suggested in terms of more air, etc. will also be true. He knows what he is talking about. As for swapping out parts, that is beyond me. You have to be situated in terms of parts, knowledge and know-how to go down that road.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I have found, direct at first you think wow I've been missing out. Then for me it gets to be too much of everything. With a dedicated pre it provides a refinement that direct doesn't...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Good preamp will definately improve on the dac be it horizon or pac . I have gone that path and can report that regarless of how good the dac pre is...the sound is much better with a great pre in for sure. More air more presence and naturalness. It makes it come alive:)
The preamp that betters the inbuilt Horizon Pre needs to be VERY VERY good and so will also be VERY expensive :eek:

I would therefore always try before you buy an additional preamp ;)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
In my system I have no choice since I have multiple analog inputs.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have found, direct at first you think wow I've been missing out. Then for me it gets to be too much of everything. With a dedicated pre it provides a refinement that direct doesn't...
Very much depending on the Preamp

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Like dminches I have several analogue inputs and use my Lamm LL1 Signature.Having said that, even if my only source was digital I would still use my preamp as it was designed to integrate perfectly with my amp.....the VC on the Horizon wasn't. I have played Horizon direct to my amps and as good as it was it didn't greet the emotion or sense of presence I get when using my Lamm preamp. I understand many made the personal decision to sell their preamp to help fund the Horizon. and that made perfect sense for those people. My electronics are key to the overall performance and enjoyment of my system

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My latest change when using my Lamm preamp and the Horizon....since the day I owned the Horion, the VC has been at max 63 for total signal transfer to my preamp and I adjust the volume accordingly.

Lat week when the TFKN c3gs was added to my system to replace the Mullard ECC 32 the increase in overall gain from these tubes was somewhat shocking as I found that I had to lower the gain control to levels which I have never used in all the years I have had this preamp. My usual listening spot on the gain control ws the 7th detente position. Withe the addition of the SRS 551 I found I was listening now at the 6th detente position and when the Valvo G2504 replaced the TFKN RGN 2004 I was now listening at the 5th detentenposition. Then with the addition of the c3gs the sound was such that I was turning down the gain to the 4th and 3rd positions, but when I did that I found I lost a lot of the magic......so for the first time since owning the Horizon I began adjusting the VC downward on the Horizon until I was at a comfortable level and once again the magic was back with my preamp, as at "59" on the Horizon my preamp gain was now rotating between the 6th and 7th position. I have also found that depending on the complexity of the music I am playing the VC on the Horizon can be at 58, 59 0r even 60. Having done this my Lamm preamp has once again restored the best digital sound Ive ever heard in my system

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
In my system I have no choice since I have multiple analog inputs.
But have you tried the Horizon alone against your Doshi?
Just out of curiosity?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Man, I hope you guys are all right. I have gone without a Pre-amp for over two years with the Pacific and H. I still don't think I need a Pre but I ordered the Aries Cerat Ianus Ageto anyway and that was not chump change. We will see!

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
The preamp that betters the inbuilt Horizon Pre needs to be VERY VERY good and so will also be VERY expensive :eek:

I would therefore always try before you buy an additional preamp ;)
Not really that expensive:) we just have to recognise the geniuses in circuit design . Otl ocl is a pain if not implemented correctly but there are a few out there and these have a very high chance of beating the lampi preamp. I am a fan of the allnic l10000 and its not that pricey. As with all manufactured component's, dont use the stock tubes and that unit i have is heavily modifed to improve on its performace even further

• Wow
Reactions: Zappadaddy

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
But have you tried the Horizon alone against your Doshi?
Just out of curiosity?

I haven’t. Too much equipment would have to be moved around and it would be only a temporary configuration. I am too lazy to do all the work.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing