Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Not really that expensive:) we just have to recognise the geniuses in circuit design . Otl ocl is a pain if not implemented correctly but there are a few out there and these have a very high chance of beating the lampi preamp. I am a fan of the allnic l10000 and its not that pricey. As with all manufactured component's, dont use the stock tubes and that unit i have is heavily modifed to improve on its performace even further
Well the L10000 retails for $30k usd. Then add power cord, interconnect, and upgraded tubes. So that’s $40k. Then the upgrades. That being said, I owned the L9000 otl OCL when I had the Pacific. I thought it was pretty good run unmodified, but with good tubes. The L10000 is definitely an interesting unit, although overall gain maybe a problem.

What did you modify in your L10? Which 300b?

The amp driven has a lot to do with what works best overall.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well the L10000 retails for $30k usd. Then add power cord, interconnect, and upgraded tubes. So that’s $40k. Then the upgrades. That being said, I owned the L9000 otl OCL when I had the Pacific. I thought it was pretty good run unmodified, but with good tubes. The L10000 is definitely an interesting unit, although overall gain maybe a problem.

what was the difference between the 9000 and 10000 sonically?

• Wow
Reactions: dzdzdzln

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I haven’t. Too much equipment would have to be moved around and it would be only a temporary configuration. I am too lazy to do all the work.
Pity
But I completely understand

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
what was the difference between the 9000 and 10000 sonically?
An L10 wasn't available for direct compare, unfortunately. I did discuss this with the dealer a bit as I contemplated upgrading. This was the distilled essence of the difference.

The L10 is a bit more resolved and dynamic. He found it to be too resolved and revealing, but I interpreted this as being system dependent. So the L10 could be a great match sonically for a top tier front end. I didn't find the L9 lacking in either attribute.

Technically they are quite similar - both 3-stage, differential floating ground circuits. The L9 utilizing 6U8, 12au7, 6080; while the L10 utilizes dual 300b output per channel. Both are best run single ended, bypassing the output transformer required for balanced. So the primary difference is the output stage. 6080 tend to a warmer sound, especially the GEC. This is why I ran the Thompson 6080 primarily.

Stacking the L10 with top 300b's would drive up the cost a bit, but likely worth it. These units are responsive to tube rolling.

There appear to be good values on the used market. I could do this again if the situation was right. Ian may be spot on, but the cost is not insignificant.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020

ah but nothing sells at rrp anymore nowadays - i imagine you can get a good discount . tubes not too expensive for the l10000 - 300b i just use the takatsuki. have others but never had a chance to roll yet. l10 hmmm what did i mod.......haha a lot! but best i send you a pm rather than post here

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Had the great honor to meet Lukas at the show here. It was a special day indeed!

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
This is a very informative thread. I'm curious why the major review magazines (TAS, Sterophile, etc) have not reviewed the Lampizator Horizon yet? Is it a "follow" the advertising money or something else?

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
This is a very informative thread. I'm curious why the major review magazines (TAS, Sterophile, etc) have not reviewed the Lampizator Horizon yet? Is it a "follow" the advertising money or something else?
Unfortunately, many of these reviews in magazines are written by paid influencers. Trust in wbf, forget the trade magazines… Heard H. in LIE last weekend again - it’s a beast of a DAC! Never heard a better one…

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Unfortunately, many of these reviews in magazines are written by paid influencers. Trust in wbf, forget the trade magazines… Heard H. in LIE last weekend again - it’s a beast of a DAC! Never heard a better one…
Was a great weekend comparing different generations of TRP to Pacific and Horizon!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

if you develop interest in Lampi you can even compare GG3 or pacific with any non Lampi Dac of your choice. Just remember to try the best fitting tube in your system rather than just trying stock. You don’t have to look only at horizon as competition for other high priced dacs. Lampi has always been about word of mouth and trust your ear compares and not price tags or magazine reviews..

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
if you develop interest in Lampi you can even compare GG3 or pacific with any non Lampi Dac of your choice. Just remember to try the best fitting tube in your system rather than just trying stock. You don’t have to look only at horizon as competition for other high priced dacs. Lampi has always been about word of mouth and trust your ear compares and not price tags or magazine reviews..
I think it’s paramount to demo in one’s own system, as system synergy and tastes in music are considerations that go way beyond the qualitative. It’s amazing how different these DACs sound from each other, the Pacific as if from a different brand in the context of our comparisons this weekend. One of the main advantages of the Horizon is its versatility with different types of music, as it’s the most transparent/least colored. That’s not equally important with all types of music, so personal preference is huge. Also, one needs to make room in one’s budget for a dedicated audiophile server, not to mention tubes, cables etc., these aren’t “stand-alone” solutions to plug and play with a computer and NAS, on the contrary, I wouldn’t know of a more “tweakable” brand. What’s so great about it is the extent to which one can tailor the sound to one’s liking.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think it’s paramount to demo in one’s own system, as system synergy and tastes in music are considerations that go way beyond the qualitative. It’s amazing how different these DACs sound from each other, the Pacific as if from a different brand in the context of our comparisons this weekend. One of the main advantages of the Horizon is its versatility with different types of music, as it’s the most transparent/least colored. That’s not equally important with all types of music, so personal preference is huge. Also, one needs to make room in one’s budget for a dedicated audiophile server, not to mention tubes, cables etc., these aren’t “stand-alone” solutions to plug and play with a computer and NAS, in the contrary, I wouldn’t know of a more “tweakable” brand. What’s so great about it is the extent to which one can tailor the sound to one’s liking.

server and cables are to be budgeted for any dac.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I think the key is to hear the DAC in ones own system or a dealer who has many DAC options to run through a core setup as to gauge differences in DAC SQ. Unfortunately, like a lot of Audiophiles I have no High-end dealer in my town. Closest are in Nashville or Atlanta but none of those have all the varied DACs I've shortlisted (MSB, Lamp, ?). Thus reviews and chat sites like this are essential but as we know quite varied in opinion. It is a bit of trail and error to get it right. What I do know my current DAC is excellent. If no other clear winner becomes apparent I tend to do nothing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think the key is to hear the DAC in ones own system or a dealer who has many DAC options to run through a core setup as to gauge differences in DAC SQ. Unfortunately, like a lot of Audiophiles I have no High-end dealer in my town. Closest are in Nashville or Atlanta but none of those have all the varied DACs I've shortlisted (MSB, Lamp, ?). Thus reviews and chat sites like this are essential but as we know quite varied in opinion. It is a bit of trail and error to get it right. What I do know my current DAC is excellent. If no other clear winner becomes apparent I tend to do nothing.

have you checked if any Lampi owners living in your area? It is pretty easy for them to drive one over to your place for a fun evening

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Alternatively since you are a Wilson owner visit Marty or Steve. By doing some tube rolls at their place, and listening next to analog, you will get some idea of the sonic impact, at least enough to warrant a home demo

TheAudioElite

Dec 17, 2020
Hi All

I have a Lampi Horizon and I wanted to try it with the KR 842vhd tubes does anyone know if this tube is compatible without needing an adapter thanks so much for your help

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi All

I have a Lampi Horizon and I wanted to try it with the KR 842vhd tubes does anyone know if this tube is compatible without needing an adapter thanks so much for your help
Not really sure how you wanted to use DHT tube in H even with the adapter.
In Pacific yes...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Unfortunatelly nope…
I always wanted to try 842 in Pacific but never did…
BTW - there are much better options then mentioned KT88

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing