Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Let us first hear it how maestro envisaged it to be heard with his tubes and later on we'll open the rolling games.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yup I know what he wrote Marty but lets see first which tubes will be stock ones. KR Recti OK, KR KT88 maybe and NOS Bendix 6900 super heavy to come along and if you find them prices are whooooho...
But he's favorite combo might be option 1 for rolling.

Last edited:

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
It sounds like you boys are going to have fun!!!!

Although I don't use tubes, I can certainly understand the attraction of tube rolling.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Just bit the bullet with the Horizon. Trading in my Pacific. Delivery in February. Color choice closer to production. Larry

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Just bit the bullet with the Horizon. Trading in my Pacific. Delivery in February. Color choice closer to production. Larry
That is a ‘bold’ step now that you have not heard the Horizon yet. Congrats and hopefully the Horizon will make you very happy.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
What tubes do you need to accompany your pac for the trade in? Or no tubes needed?

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
What tubes do you need to accompany your pac for the trade in? Or no tuhes needed?
Not specified. You do need to include tubes. Larry

Reactions: howiebrou

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It sounds like you boys are going to have fun!!!!

Although I don't use tubes, I can certainly understand the attraction of tube rolling.

What is the attraction of tube rolling? Some think it is only fun

Reactions: Golum

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
What is the attraction of tube rolling? Some think it is only fun

I see it as a form of DIY.

I build my own speakers, tune my own equipment through choice of wiring, parts and other parameters, make my own acoustic treatment etc.

If I was rolling tubes, it would be to get the kind of sound I was after. Many years ago I had a Manley reference preamp that I completely rebuilt and played around with a lot of different tubes. One set of tubes gave me the sound I was after - none of the others came close.

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
I think he already told us in post #44
"My personal favorite is: input 6900 with adapter, Power KR-KT88, Rectifier Riccardo Kron 5U4G followed by the more accessible 6N1P-EB as input."
That's his personal favourite combination, doesn't have to be the same reception for everyone, especially in the context on the owned system and its synergy. That's the biggest beauty of Lampizator tube rolling engine - every time whatever changes, there is an open path for the fine tuning there.

Speaking from the experience with Baltic and the TRP I have some ideas about what tubes I would like to put there. But I agree with the 6SN7 influence here, In B3 rolling this valve brings the more shifts of shade than rolling novals. 6900 is crazy good tube however and equally rare and expensive today. Russian 6N1 and 6N6 I found often more engaging than many highly regarded 83,82 or 81s. In TRP I found metal base EL34 to be really striking, especially when teamed up together with metal base GZ34. Lukasz didn't hear that yet himself as those really are rare tubes to find but he is up for the treat as I am going to take mine with me when flying to Warsaw on the end of the year, so I hope that he will share his opinion about those with all of you interested here.

I am curious about one thing. In TRP I honestly prefer EL34 personally and in my environment, over the KT family. From ALL KTs I compared in TRP2 however, I also voted with my ears for KR KT88s, which I preferred more than both Brown and Black base vintage Osram / GECs.

In Baltic 3 Red Base 5692s in the first (OCTAL) row and the military selection of Mullards CV4004 in the second(NOVAL) row came is my favourite mix, with the Psvane 274 rectifier most of the time holding duty. But with some fine cable tuning I am back to my Old trusted Devil, the CDR - 1641.

In TRP, I already mentioned above the prefered ELs to my taste. I tried as well P8A socket based EL6 and 4699, as Goran and Winson suggested. Very sublime results indeed. One thing I can say however is: Get yourself the premium quality build adapter. The difference between the teflon made Woo adapters and the cheapo fleabay stuff is like between Blackburn made EL34s and the Chinese Golden Dragon ones. Seriously, it is massive deterioration, so if you never tried that via quality adapter I can equally say that you haven't hear their potential yet.

Another suggestion, which I yet need to hear, had been already discussed on multiple channels via TRP threads on here and elsewhere too, the Siemens F2a or F2a11 tubes. Those are obviously demanding adapters as well , being EU-Telephone 9-pin and L-Octal respectively. Some of our customers obtained some so I need finally get there and listen to them myself , to have an opinion. One is for sure the variety of the quality 6.3V tubes are like digging in an open sezam make it a perfect choice.

That's why I believe is what The Horizon came from and it is not a surprise that LF used TRP and the B3 culminative experience to develop his latest brainchild :) DHT, as such stands on its own as it is. There is only one Monica Bellucci, Gentleman, that fact we need to accept.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
6sn7 compares at Gregdee's - 6sn7 varieties - VT 99, the red military 5692, 6F8, and an unique unnamed tennis ball one in the destination audio 45 amps

6sn7.jpeg

7bert

Dec 15, 2015
Great to hear about all the alternatives. This may be a stupid question, but many of us have positive experiences of KR tubes... would the KR-05 be an alternativ to the 6SN7?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Another suggestion, which I yet need to hear, had been already discussed on multiple channels via TRP threads on here and elsewhere too, the Siemens F2a or F2a11 tubes. Those are obviously demanding adapters as well , being EU-Telephone 9-pin and L-Octal respectively. Some of our customers obtained some so I need finally get there and listen to them myself , to have an opinion. One is for sure the variety of the quality 6.3V tubes are like digging in an open sezam make it a perfect choice.

That's why I believe is what The Horizon came from and it is not a surprise that LF used TRP2 and the B3 culminative experience to develop his latest brainchild :) DHT, as such stands on its own as it is. There is only one Monica Bellucci, Gentleman, that fact we need to accept.
The F2a/ 11 is a shame for a Dac, that tube belongs in a Telefunken V69 amp or Klangfilm amp. there it unfolds its magic;)

Reactions: mr.gregdee

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
6sn7 compares at Gregdee's - 6sn7 varieties - VT 99, the red military 5692, 6F8, and an unique unnamed tennis ball one in the destination audio 45 amps

View attachment 85823

The VT-99 is a 6F8G. The other tube is an ECC40 which I think I used in my Lamp Gen 4.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
That's his personal favourite combination, doesn't have to be the same reception for everyone, especially in the context on the owned system and its synergy. That's the biggest beauty of Lampizator tube rolling engine - every time whatever changes, there is an open path for the fine tuning there.

Speaking from the experience with Baltic and the TRP2 I have some ideas about what tubes I would like to put there. But I agree with the 6SN7 influence here, In B3 rolling this valve brings the more shifts of shade than rolling novals. 6900 is crazy good tube however and equally rare and expensive today. Russian 6N1 and 6N6 I found often more engaging than many highly regarded 83,82 or 81s. In TRP I found metal base EL34 to be really striking, especially when teamed up together with metal base GZ34. Lukasz didn't hear that yet himself as those really are rare tubes to find but he is up for the treat as I am going to take mine with me when flying to Warsaw on the end of the year, so I hope that he will share his opinion about those with all of you interested here.

I am curious about one thing. In TRP I honestly prefer EL34 personally and in my environment, over the KT family. From ALL KTs I compared in TRP2 however, I also voted with my ears for KR KT88s, which I preferred more than both Brown and Black base vintage Osram / GECs.

In Baltic 3 Red Base 5692s in the first (OCTAL) row and the military selection of Mullards CV4004 in the second(NOVAL) row came is my favourite mix, with the Psvane 274 rectifier most of the time holding duty. But with some fine cable tuning I am back to my Old trusted Devil, the CDR - 1641.

In TRP 2, I already mentioned above the prefered ELs to my taste. I tried as well P8A socket based EL6 and 4699, as Goran and Winson suggested. Very sublime results indeed. One thing I can say however is: Get yourself the premium quality build adapter. The difference between the teflon made Woo adapters and the cheapo fleabay stuff is like between Blackburn made EL34s and the Chinese Golden Dragon ones. Seriously, it is massive deterioration, so if you never tried that via quality adapter I can equally say that you haven't hear their potential yet.

That's why I believe is what The Horizon came from and it is not a surprise that LF used TRP2 and the B3 culminative experience to develop his latest brainchild :) DHT, as such stands on its own as it is. There is only one Monica Bellucci, Gentleman, that fact we need to accept.
Nice post Greg!
Can you elaborate on TRP 2 please…

Reactions: mr.gregdee

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At Silvercore on his 833c amps we had compared expensive Telefunken dual gettr EL34 to cheap Chinese ones that he had voiced the amp with. The Telefunken were much more clear and transparent, but on his system, the way he had voiced it, they lacked meat, and both due to the midbass and musicality the Chinese ones were preferred.

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The F2a/ 11 is a shame for a Dac, that tube belongs in a Telefunken V69 amp or Klangfilm amp. there it unfolds its magic;)

Why is it a shame for a dac? You cannot use it in an amp and a dac?

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
Nice post Greg!
Can you elaborate on TRP 2 please…
Will do Goran. Just waiting for my demo unit to come back home, so I can add some pictures to the story too. Currently TRP / Atlantic 2 and Baltic 3 are my most busy samples ;)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing