Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I've been following all that has been written here about the Lampizator Horizon. Been a solid state guy my entire life, back to Phase Linear, Empire TT, Revox A77 (Swiss Made) days. I'm intimidated by the tubes! But also intrigued. Maybe its the tube rolling aspect? I'm using a DV2 with Mephisto/Pandora, JA Pearl 20/20's, Taiko soon to come. Don't think I can get away from Gryphon. System is dialed in. I'm a Blues, Jazz, Classical guy, so the Tube aspect makes that more appealing. If anyone has some advice, input, wisdom, to someone that is thinking Horizon, please share your thoughts with this conundrum...John

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I've been following all that has been written here about the Lampizator Horizon. Been a solid state guy my entire life, back to Phase Linear, Empire TT, Revox A77 (Swiss Made) days. I'm intimidated by the tubes! But also intrigued. Maybe its the tube rolling aspect? I'm using a DV2 with Mephisto/Pandora, JA Pearl 20/20's, Taiko soon to come. Don't think I can get away from Gryphon. System is dialed in. I'm a Blues, Jazz, Classical guy, so the Tube aspect makes that more appealing. If anyone has some advice, input, wisdom, to someone that is thinking Horizon, please share your thoughts with this conundrum...John
Hi John;

Nice that you've joined this thread, as I would say this is one of the key purposes of it - experience sharing but as well learning from others. As we are learning (or supposed to learn) day in day out, I strongly believe that Lampi community here can be and will be of tremendous help during your journey with tubed DAC. I've never ever experienced on the web more enthusiastic and helpful guys than those around here, so from that stand point there are no worries.
Tubes as such are glorious fun, sometimes pain as well, but fun and enjoying part always prevail as they just deliver magic.
Tube rolling - you can roll but as well you don't need to, as each single Lampi DAC leaves the factory with great sound with the tubes they have chosen from the current production. Tweaks with tube rolling can help you to further elevate the performance or steer the sound into direction which you would like it to go, to the certain extend, and on this pages you'll find description what guys achieved and with which tubes so it's super easy to follow and decide.
If you at the end of the day decide to make a step into unknown, I'm more then certain reward will be beyond magnificent :) .

Stay well;
G

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Got mine on Sunday.
5E7CFACF-0EB9-444D-8BC3-D6EBC322B885.jpeg

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Golum: Thank you for the kind and encouraging words. Once my Taiko arrives I will be able to focus on this potential new direction. Life is all about exploration and as you said "The unknown" I have certainly done my share of it. To be intimidated by a set of tubes would be a sad state of affairs. Thank You Again...John

"A guide is someone who helps build a raft and gets you across to the far shore
of the river, then he burns the raft"
Ancient Tibetan Buddhist Text

Last edited:

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
Hooked the Horizon direct to Lampizator GM70 sound is excellent!
What pre did you left behind if I can ask ? Trying to establish the threshold for that. Txs.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
What pre did you left behind if I can ask ? Trying to establish the threshold for that. Txs.
I pulled a Vac Master out , I added it back yesterday to confirm and it sure sounds better without. But last night I added a Bent Audio TapX Autoformer preamp and it sounds excellent. This also allows me to run Horizon at 63 . I listened a few hours like this and it looks like this will be my choice . I suggest one try's there preamp before selling to confirm.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I totally agree. This too is system dependent. The Horizon preamp is fabulous and will provide sonic bliss to users who go direct DAC to Amp. For my system as good as it sounded without, I did prefer using my preamp and I have never had my Horizon gain at anything but 63 since I got it in February.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Direct with any DAC as Steve interjected is so very much System Dependent. Obviously I have never played with the Horizon. My past and present experience is Preamp has worked in my systems. An amp like the Mephisto seems to perform better with a pre in the mix. I would love to hear from anyone who has experimented with the Horizon/Mephisto. Direct or with a pre...John

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Golum: Thank you for the kind and encouraging words. Once my Taiko arrives I will be able to focus on this potential new direction. Life is all about exploration and as you said "The unknown" I have certainly done my share of it. To be intimidated by a set of tubes would be a sad state of affairs. Thank You Again...John

"A guide is someone who helps build a raft and gets you across to the far shore
of the river, then he burns the raft"
Ancient Tibetan Buddhist Text
As Golum noted, there is a magic in the music with tubes in the mix that is unmistakable, IME. And tube rolling is simply trying different combinations to season your overall soup just the way you like it! I love having that variable in hand for final system voicing - - beats cables, footers, etc. for this purpose, again IME.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Hi John T,
Our Extreme's should be shipping out this week :cool:. Not quite sure when my Horizon will deliver yet. Maybe June? So I can't say anything about the Horizon specifically, but I've owned a Pacific for over two years. Golden Gates before that.

I note your musical taste above. I'd say the Pacific is a truthful device that doesn't play favorites with music type. Some may have a perception of tube gear as being colored or conjuring a certain sound. This is wholly based on fact ;). Many tube amps over the years have played this role. Although some are more truthful than others, the speaker pairing is part of the equation and can't be ignored. Lampi dacs, or probably any other dac, aren't as subject to pairing synergy. OK, I'm completely ignoring the 242 tube/preamp pairing issue here, but that's a special case. Point is, consider a Pacific or Horizon for what it is, a good dac, not because it has tubes. That is first and foremost. After that you are welcome to slide down the tube rolling rabbit hole with the rest of us, if you wish. Knowing the rest of your system, I can't imagine you would be disappointed with either dac choice. They are just more soulful than others I've heard, because they let it pass through, not because they are making it.

Please share your thoughts on the Extreme after a few days. I think you are on the right path.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi Greg,
Much obliged for the heads up! (You have quite a pedigree in regards to Lampizator) Also the specific nature as to how you explained "Good DAC Not because it has Tubes" The soulful aspect also caught my attention. I will share my observations on the Extreme. I really appreciate your insight...All The Best...John

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Big congrats on your H dac arrival.
new case looks great too , has the top tier look
makes one feel there looking down on the rest
I’m finally goiig to set up some music in terms of speakers down south now.
so more thought coming soon

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Fwiw, I've been told I am 15 on NA queue (Dec deposit) and have been pushed to mid-June (fingers crossed).

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Fwiw, I've been told I am 15 on NA queue (Dec deposit) and have been pushed to mid-June (fingers crossed).
Thanks for the perspective!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Interesting, I was told there is only one queue and not a Europe or USA queue. If they are building 3 a week, you should have already received yours IMO.

Reactions: jbrrp1 and ctydwn

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
To nip this in bud, as I listen to the amazing Pacific…

I am in no relative rush for the Horizon (others might be more than me??). But of course massive anticipation and deposit money gone. Queue concept just interesting. I get being in the right place and of course the right person/manufacturer might make a difference. That said, I am sure I am exactly where Lampizator had me signed up last year relative to others with an early December 2021 deposit and as a Pacific owner.

Until the Horizon arrives, I will continue to enjoy my imho great sound. Ok. amazing sound. yes

Thanks to all for sharing their observations and raw thoughts on this hi end audio thread.
Really appreciate all the contributors. great mix of technical minutiae and levity.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing