Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just got definitive word from @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus via Fred @LampiNA that it is ok to leave the right 2 rear tube sockets empty when using the DAC in single-ended mode.

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I just got definitive word from @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus via Fred @LampiNA that it is ok to leave the right 2 rear tube sockets empty when using the DAC in single-ended mode.
What about the middle tubes "L Neg And Pos" and "R Neg and Pos"?
Are both needed also in SE mode?
Or can one also be left out in SE mode?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What about the middle tubes "L Neg And Pos" and "R Neg and Pos"?
Are both needed also in SE mode?
Or can one also be left out in SE mode?

They are both needed.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
They are both needed.
So really only the right two pentodes can be left out in SE mode?
Pity but thanks for your clarificarion.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

I wish I could get over my OCD disease because if I could I would take out the right pair of TS KT170 and leave the slots empty but I need to have balance in my life and if I looked at 2 empty slots or two slots on the right filled with different tubes than the slots on the left I would probably have a nervous breakdown trying to resist my temptation to make the right side the same :eek:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I wish I could get over my OCD disease because if I could I would take out the right pair of TS KT170 and leave the slots empty but I need to have balance in my life and if I looked at 2 empty slots or two slots on the right filled with different tubes than the slots on the left I would probably have a nervous breakdown trying to resist my temptation to make the right side the same :eek:
You saved me some time for typing - thanks :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Have someone make up a set of 4 EL34 socket savers and tell them not to wire 2 of them. Use the good ones on the left and the fake ones on the right.

Reactions: rau

Steve Williams

Between you
You saved me some time for typing - thanks :)
Between you and dminches making recommendations, you have made me fall victim to collecting backup sets so that I can watch those 2 tubes on the right look just as pretty as the ones on the left
Curse the two of you :mad: because I also remember Lukasz saying that even though those two right tubes are not necessary for SE, they burn out at the same rate as those on the left It's like watching money evaporate into electrons

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Between you

Between you and dminches making recommendations, you have made me fall victim to collecting backup sets so that I can watch those 2 tubes on the right look just as pretty as the ones on the left
Curse the two of you :mad: because I also remember Lukasz saying that even though those two right tubes are not necessary for SE, they burn out at the same rate as those on the left It's like watching money evaporate into electrons
While on that I think You should get a quad of EL51s and EL156s for the starter :cool: :p

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Rest assured Steve, you have passed the collecting of backups down the food Chain!

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
I just spent half day drooling over the new tube set - the power pentodes called Ei-KT90. They were made in Serbia and sold under Telefunken name. The local brand name was Ei. They are phenomenal. In my Horizon test they beat the GEC Marconi KT66's and match equal the Tung-Sol KT170 (which is blood stained Russian item). If only they werent so expensive. I tried them with VT-99 inputs, French 5687's, and Blue Balls. All were equally good. 1656080826067.png

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
They were made in Serbia and sold under Telefunken name. The local brand name was Ei. They are phenomenal.
Best of the best - made in Serbia :cool:
Crap - price skyrocketed after this post....lemme trigger my local connections in Nis (city in Serbia where the factory WAS):D

@Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus - while on those can they be used in TRP?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing