Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yes I’m over the moon happy tbh -I’m like in the mode…
2FFE0485-7DE6-45F6-AC01-0BD26473726C.gif
Thanks for the link - didn’t see this one but the guy really invested quite some time and effort to put it together….

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Firstly, tell me more aboutt this tube combo? Are you using adapters on 4 power tubes? Also, what is the power conditioner like?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Firstly, tell me more about this tube combo? Are you using adapters on 4 power tubes? Also, what is the power conditioner like?
Nothing much to tell about - Mullards don't come out, rectie by chance Marconi and it does the job admirably well, Bendix I love more then KT170. El34 xf2 I don't want to buy so for me more or less game is over. Pentodes I have plenty so i can play with if I'm up to in general.
Kraftwerk is one big unit (Pac size) - great thing is it has 10 sockets (2 unfiltered for monos) and 8 filtered ones so a big system can be covered. I had Isotek before and if Kraft brought something additional to the table vs Isotek I honestly don't know. For certain it does not kill or reduce anything and for me this is already great. And I love the look much more then Iso so I'm super happy.

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
OCD is a strange thing - since I've seen somewhere mid of the year picture of the H in the color scheme I wanted to have from the get go (silver with copper top) I could not put it out of my mind. So with some David Copperfield magic, last week my heart and mind are finally at peace and the rack looks like I wanted it to look. Sound wise nothing to report as it plays as the first one played - actually no, this one plays better as it looks better to my eyes :D .
Simultaneously I received from Yoda in the same color scheme his new development Kraftwerk 8 power conditioner and I can not be more than happy with both together.
Great job Lukasz & the team and many thanks!
View attachment 103916 View attachment 103917 View attachment 103918 View attachment 103919
Are you using different footers under the Horizon?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I’m stubbornly sticking to my Pacific as I like the sound of DHTs. Pentodes? Nah! Been there, done that.
As great as the Pacific is, the Horizon is just another step better.
Nothing to do with DHTs against Pentodes, but I admit I had a similar sentiment BEFORE I listened to the Horizon.

Btw. the Horizon uses Double-Triodes as output tubes.
The Pentodes have a different job in the Horizon.

If you love the Pacific and can afford the Horizon, you should definitely give the Horizon a proper listen.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Should try - you’ll thank us later.
BTW pentodes have other job in H - double triodes are the ones creating majority of magic..
Damned, Goran was faster :cool:

Reactions: ctydwn

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
........ I don't want to buy so for me more or less game is over.
I almost choked on my breakfast cereal reading this. It is you that brings all of the fun to the table to help guys like me learn about tube rolling. I think you should write a book about your tube rolling escapades as it would be an essential read here . Ive been done for almost a year and am debating selling off a treasure trove of some amazing tubes I used along the way

• Haha

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As great as the Pacific is, the Horizon is just another step better.
Nothing to do with DHTs against Pentodes, but I admit I had a similar sentiment BEFORE I listened to the Horizon.

Btw. the Horizon uses Double-Triodes as output tubes.
The Pentodes have a different job in the Horizon.

If you love the Pacific and can afford the Horizon, you should definitely give the Horizon a proper listen.
I agree. The Pacific is a fabulous DAC, so much so that I was reticent to buy the Horizon but owning one brings so much more to the table. To me tube rolling in the Horizon is tantamount to a vinylphile tuning his system with a stash of cartridges

Reactions: ctydwn and Golum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I’m stubbornly sticking to my Pacific as I like the sound of DHTs. Pentodes? Nah! Been there, done that.
If you have more than one system, you could just keep the Pacific and buy a Horizon in addition :cool:

That way you could keep and use your beloved DHTs you amassed along the way ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Huh? Perhaps you should be embarrassed by your comment and not by the setup. I can only hope you were being facetious. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Are you using different footers under the Horizon?
Oh yes....the ones I need to write a few words about (HiFiStay Absolute Point) - but unfortunately I'm very very late with that...way to late as creator will not be able to read it anymore :( :( :(
08DAC808-EE5B-4E25-8C0B-9F4E4C7B4311.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Huh? Perhaps you should be embarrassed by your comment and not by the setup. I can only hope you were being facetious. Luck had nothing to do with it.

i think he is joking, as that set up cannot look embarrassing

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
Yes, sorry. chaps. It is awesome and amongst the best I have seen. My sense of humour does not carry well, especially after a beer or two. If you note, I did actually like the post of the photo and the wink after my comment kind of gives it away, or so I thought.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I painstakingly read through the DAC shootout link. It was very informative. I have no idea how that dude could get through all 5 and be able to differentiate them. I have a hard enough time just doing that going through a tube rolling exercise on the H.
I did like his glossary of terms at the end and the explanation of each. That was helpful for me.
I wish he would have had the opportunity to include the Aries Cerat Kassandra ilo of Emm Labs.

Reactions: Malcng and Golum

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Thanks for all the thumbs up regarding the Horizon. I certainly can afford it (besides, those of us in the Bay Area tech industry just got our annual bonuses!). But, space and time is limited. I already have way too much stuff. But I will think more about whether to take the plunge. But, do I really want KT 170 tubes in my DAC? Feels like using a sledgehammer to crack open an egg. It certainly works, but why? I’m sure Lukasz had his reasons. Still, it feels, what’s the right word, inelegant…

Mostly I’ve recently been exploring the intriguing world of SET amps. My current favorite is a SET that uses the 421a Western Electric dual power triode, a single tube which drives both channels at 3 watts. A related tube is the NOS Tung Sol 5998. Both sound lovely. Bespoke SETs made by local American artisan designers like Oliver Sayes or Ala Eaton or Denis Had are relatively inexpensive, small and compact for tube amplifiers and run fairly cool. Much to explore here in this strange exotic corner of Hi-Fi, a genre totally ignored by the mass market audio rags that cater largely to advertisers.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Great past dozen or so posts, but tube choices should really be directed to the tube rolling thread, no?
Can they be moved by mods?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing