Lampizator DSD DAC

The Horus is 6-slot modular system with as many A/D and D/A configurations as it can hold. It's performance in PCM is very good. Not quite up to the Trinity/MSB, but I'd say equal to the Playback and older Lampi. I haven't heard the new Lampi R2R PCM yet.

You should do it soon! ;) I am still choosing which GG version to buy and expert opinions are very welcome.

Isf it is for resale value by balance its what is hit now. If it's for pure audio and no care of resale buy as I do SE. Three is little value in sound to balanced but hey if it floats your boat
Also Asside form me owning a few and helping his head dac design ask Winston. A very trusted friend and the first to hear my main
System.
Preaptor do you patently owns diamond 4 plus or did you do a home listen and this is your basis on your opinions ? Just Asking based on your comments above ?

I had the MSB Diamond in here for a few months and can say that the PCM was some of the best I've heard. In DSD, there were several DAC's that could surpass it and the MSB was quickly replaced.
I can say that the best DSD I've heard so far is my Lampi Balanced GG and Merging Horus.
I also use HQPlayer for a year or so and switched to Audirvana+ and eventually ending up with JRiver.

There must be 1 you like better between the GG and Horus?

BTW for people who don't know. the Hapi is the same thing as the Horus, only less bays for expansion cards. Only $4k with the premium 8 channel DAC board. Probably one of the best values out there, especially if Bruce puts it in the same league as the GG which cost's $18000. Not to mention the bonus of having an additional 6 channels!

Hapi.png

Isf it is for resale value by balance its what is hit now. If it's for pure audio and no care of resale buy as I do SE. Three is little value in sound to balanced but hey if it floats your boat
Also Asside form me owning a few and helping his head dac design ask Winston. A very trusted friend and the first to hear my main
System. (...) ?

Thanks. My main concern is if I should get a GG DSD only version or a GG with both DSD and the new PCM engine. My listening in the GG will be mainly redbook.

Most of my equipment and cables are balanced, I will need a balanced unit.

Thanks. My main concern is if I should get a GG DSD only version or a GG with both DSD and the new PCM engine. My listening in the GG will be mainly redbook.

Why wouldn't you just buy Bruce's unit. Unless it's already sold. Only 12k, balanced with both DSD and PCM and only a couple months old. No brainer. Then have it shipped back to Lampi for the USB interface upgrade on the way. (Just a suggestion )

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18904-FS-Lampizator-Balanced-Golden-Gate

I up sampled everything to keep it simple. I was probably using the older cards since my audition happened in 2013.

Thanks for the response.

I have to say, after finally getting RoonServer + HQPlayer setup and then their NAA app on my CAPS, streaming all to DSD I am VERY impressed. Hence my interest in the Lampi. Al and Winson have been singing its praises for a long time now but now with HQPlayer seeing how fantastic things are I have become interested.

Which leads me to the question of does the Lampi come DSD only or DSD + PCM in the Golden Gate? Also if Lukaz touts DSD as the best solution is the best solution for a Lampi DSD?

It comes with both unless you request just one of them. Although some do rest just one there is no sound degradation of having both and only using one. And it seems maybe for you both I and Winston have been ahead all along lol. I did not see answer to my question do you own an a msb or did you just do a home trial ?

It comes with both unless you request just one of them. Although some do rest just one there is no sound degradation of having both and only using one. And it seems maybe for you both I and Winston have been ahead all along lol. I did not see answer to my question do you own an a msb or did you just do a home trial ?

I own the MSB Diamond Dac IV Plus with the Quad USB input, thinking about upgrading to the V until I tried HQPlayer converting all to DSD. So I guess my issue is how the Lampi via DSD would compare to the MSB V DSD with PCM converted via HQP as well as direct. So far, over the last few days I got all working I love what I am hearing with HQP PCM converted to DSD.

I own the MSB Diamond Dac IV Plus with the Quad USB input, thinking about upgrading to the V until I tried HQPlayer converting all to DSD. So I guess my issue is how the Lampi via DSD would compare to the MSB V DSD with PCM converted via HQP as well as direct. So far, over the last few days I got all working I love what I am hearing with HQP PCM converted to DSD.

If you want to get the best HQplayer has to offer, consider using a streamer that supports the HQplayer NAA system. This takes things to a new level for very little cost.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19221-Streamer-to-kill-the-big-boys-for-under-250

Last edited:

Get the new R2R pcm engine with the GG. Nice to have both options for RBCD playback.

Thanks for the response.

I have to say, after finally getting RoonServer + HQPlayer setup and then their NAA app on my CAPS, streaming all to DSD I am VERY impressed. Hence my interest in the Lampi. Al and Winson have been singing its praises for a long time now but now with HQPlayer seeing how fantastic things are I have become interested.

Which leads me to the question of does the Lampi come DSD only or DSD + PCM in the Golden Gate? Also if Lukaz touts DSD as the best solution is the best solution for a Lampi DSD?

Pri. The GG or any Lampi Dac can be pcm only, dsd only or both (most popular option) . 2 separate engines in 1 box.
Dsd is usb only. Pcm is now R2R ladder.

Question for you DSD Lampizator owners.

Now that Roon has been integrated with HQPlayer, I have been dabbling and must say am impressed with everything being upsampled to DSD via HQPlayer.

Right now I am using MSB Diamond Plus IV. I guess the unit I would be interested in would be the Golden Gate Balanced DSD. First anyone have a chance to compare the MSB to the Lampi I am interested in? Second are most of you using HQPlayer? Third general impressions as now that I first starting to hear the benefits of HQPlayer, I must say I am impressed in my limited time hearing it.
Bruce Brown has a Bal GG for sale at a good price...it also has PCM, but no preamp function.

Bruce Brown has a Bal GG for sale at a good price...it also has PCM, but no preamp function.

I already said that. Maybe these guys won't buy anything used, even if it's only a couple months old and several thousands off. Because nobody said a thing.

I already said that. Maybe these guys won't buy anything used, even if it's only a couple months old and several thousands off. Because nobody said a thing.
yes,

i saw it after I posted...

The GG is less than half what the mentioned MSBs would cost, so buying new may not be scary to him.

In any case, he may want Bal DSD only with remote control (so preamp option). I would advise him to get the Ladder PCM too though as the cost difference in minimal.

Last edited:

Why do you write without knowing the real facts? When I emailed Bruce to get it (thanks wisnon) , unfortunately it was already sold. :(

Why do you write without knowing the real facts? When I emailed Bruce to get it (thanks wisnon) , unfortunately it was already sold. :(

Oh I just thought someone would of said that by now if that was the case. Didn't see sold on the for sale thread. Just trying to help Bruce sell it, and someone looking to get a good deal that's all.

Just got onfirmation today. Lampi Amanero did indeed support LINUX DSD256 via DoP and now (breaking news) supports "Native" as well.
When I asked how come, Lukasz says the version of Linux he uses does and NOT ALL Linux(es) will be able to do this. This works with current stock Amanero.

On another note: the EML Anniversary MESH 45 tube is being tested for SQ now and availability will be mid-Feb. Check out FBook for the update.

Just got confirmation today. Lampi Amanero did indeed support LINUX DSD256 via DoP and now (breaking news) supports "Native" as well.
When I asked how come, Lukasz says the version of Linux he uses does and NOT ALL Linux(es) will be able to do this. This works with current stock Amanero.

Does this mean that there a software upgrade to support Native DSD 256 with the Lampizator DSD DAC?
DSD 256 is working fine with the DSD DAC here. Always interested in further enhancements.... :)

Does this mean that there a software upgrade to support Native DSD 256 with the Lampizator DSD DAC?
DSD 256 is working fine with the DSD DAC here. Always interested in further enhancements.... :)

He's talking about with Linux. The standard Amanero can handle up to Native DSD 512 already with Windows.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing